Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk

kuvash

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I was asking....I am on the list with two dealers and they don't seem to have any idea, in fact they first heard of them from me.Go figure.It's not just Gibson though, I have had trouble this past year with a particular model from Fender too.

kuvash

Hi guys,I just have been playing with my Nighthawk reissue, At first, I was so-so about it....

I am playing it thru my Fender 212R.

I was finding the sound while changing pups settings, not very noticeable, at first..

But, after I added distortion, that was a whole new ballgame here...

I will also say, I AM very pleased with the sustain of this guitar.. Very impressed in fact.

The action was indeed a little high, but the more I played around with it, it really was not bad at all.

When you really add more distortion, it really handled it very well...

I am VERY amazed with this guitar, with the playability, sound, all around looks, at this price...

I am going to be telling a couple buddies that this a really a unique guitar, especially to monkey around with and to experiment with as well, being I got it for $ 299.99 I just would highly recommend it to most of you guys, smiley-music014.gif

that like Epi.'s.... I really am glad at this moment to have purchased it...

Sooooohhh, Sparky...tell us! How is it? How's the "Fit & Finish," and playbility!

And...that Tone?!! Inquiring minds, want to know! :>)

Oh, and Congratulations, you "old dog!" LOL

CB

Fit and finish, you ask??

Well, to be honest with ya, I just looked it over a bit better, now that you mentioned it... Funny huh??

I am actually surprised by the the whole thing..

I wish I had better camera capabilities, the flames are fairly nice, the color not bad at all, finish and all, impressed!! frankie.gif

I can't find any glue sticking out anywhere, the fit is exceptional, for an Epi.

No sand marks that I can see or tell.

It appears to be a 3 piece, that matches fairly well....

All in all.... I would do it all over again....

I am indeed impressed with Epiphone on this one.....

just ordered mine yesterday!

i haven't even played one, but everything looks so good about it that i couldn't wait. local stores don't know when they are getting it. as a matter of fact, i decided to take the first color finish available (except for amber) when it arrives i'll give a review

Just got mine in Fireburst yesterday.

Fit and finish excellent, needed to lower the action and adjust the trussrod.

The pickups are very good and unless they squeal at high volume I won't replace them.

All of the selector positions are quite usable including the coil taps.

All in all a keeper and a very good deal.

post-9801-085229400 1298390664_thumb.jpg

Mine came Tues. Great surprise as Music123 had sent me an e- saying I was back listed until May!

1st impression is TICKLED PINK!

Honeyburst.

Fit & finish is way better than good and approaching excellent! Much better than some of it's American cousins at twice the $.There's a very small line on 1 side of the neck/headstock joint (think 2 hairs wide)where they filled between the wood & binding,and the crown inlays on the neck have some filling around them. But I am pleasantly surprised.

Pickups & electronics sound good for what they are.

But this would be a great guitar for Gibson to put their 'Elite' package on. With USA upgrades this will be an awesome sound machine!

Biggest complaints would be;

No case or bag. I wouldn't mind $25 more with a bag.Even a crappy one would be better than none at all.

The paper work sucks! A poster with pictures or every guitar Epiphone makes except the Nighthawk!

And an owners manual that doesn't cover the bridge or the electronics of the Nighthawk!Actually there is nothing about the Nighthawk even mentioned in any of the included paperwork.

Sure I can go on line and find out but when you are pushing a 3 pickup guitar with 5 way switching & a push/pull switch, it would be nice if you include a schematic that shows how it works.

But I think it's a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

mine arrived at 9am today.

brought it in, let it warm up a bit- don't know how long it sat in the fed ex truck.

had a little breakfast, plugged it in, and it almost made me late for work.

i decided to get the black, and was glad i did. finish is great, looks super with the chrome.

if i can put it down tonight, i'll update you on my thoughts.

Mine came Tues. Great surprise as Music123 had sent me an e- saying I was back listed until May!

1st impression is TICKLED PINK!

Honeyburst.

Fit & finish is way better than good and approaching excellent! Much better than some of it's American cousins at twice the $.There's a very small line on 1 side of the neck/headstock joint (think 2 hairs wide)where they filled between the wood & binding,and the crown inlays on the neck have some filling around them. But I am pleasantly surprised.

Pickups & electronics sound good for what they are.

But this would be a great guitar for Gibson to put their 'Elite' package on. With USA upgrades this will be an awesome sound machine!

Biggest complaints would be;

No case or bag. I wouldn't mind $25 more with a bag.Even a crappy one would be better than none at all.

The paper work sucks! A poster with pictures or every guitar Epiphone makes except the Nighthawk!

And an owners manual that doesn't cover the bridge or the electronics of the Nighthawk!Actually there is nothing about the Nighthawk even mentioned in any of the included paperwork.

Sure I can go on line and find out but when you are pushing a 3 pickup guitar with 5 way switching & a push/pull switch, it would be nice if you include a schematic that shows how it works.

But I think it's a keeper.

mine arrived at 9am today.

brought it in, let it warm up a bit- don't know how long it sat in the fed ex truck.

had a little breakfast, plugged it in, and it almost made me late for work.

i decided to get the black, and was glad i did. finish is great, looks super with the chrome.

if i can put it down tonight, i'll update you on my thoughts.

Nope and nope.

Apparently neither happened...

You know, if there are no pictures then it didn't happen... [flapper]

Can anyone tell me how the neck on this guitar would compare to the wilshire reissue?(the cheap one ) I have the alpine white model. I find the neck a bit wide for my taste. This one looks to be similar.

I'm really in love with the honeyburst! Hope they hit the stores soon!

Mike

Can anyone tell me how the neck on this guitar would compare to the wilshire reissue?(the cheap one ) I have the alpine white model. I find the neck a bit wide for my taste. This one looks to be similar.

I'm really in love with the honeyburst! Hope they hit the stores soon!

Mike

I got the honeyburst & it's a honey! (no pics cause I'm a lazy bxtt)

I havn't played a wilshire but the neck on mine is a flat D shape that is 1.68 wide at the nut & .740 thick @ the 1st fret.(all aprox.)

Width wise I think it is about average. Just over 1 7/16 it works well for me.

It is the thinnist neck of all of my guitars.Just a bit thinner than a Fender Am. Tele. and quite a lot thinner than my LPs.This is especially apparent farther up the neck as it seems to stay thin longer. It's a little hard to switch between guitars but I like the guitar once I get re-aquainted. Sort of like going btwn 24 3/4" & 25 1/2". Just takes me a minute to get my hand/brain thing going.

Hope that helps.

Doug

Just put a down payment on a Honeyburst. Played it for about a half hour through a Vox AC4 head and cab. This guitar sounds sweet and looks just as good. Got the last one in the store in that color.

Cant wait to pick it up. Pics will follow!

Archived