Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk

kuvash

What do they do, make these things one at a time? Why are they so hard to find in stock? It's really kind of lame for them to release these and not actually have more than a handful available. It's hard to believe they are shipping them to the states in lots of 20????

The "in-stock" dates at all the online sellers just keep falling back further and further. They asay March 5 and when march 5 comes they say April 3 and when april 3 comes it will be may. Getting a little turned off by the whole thing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me about it. I actually ordered another guitar in the meantime. It will be here Monday where the nighthawk isn't supposed to get to me until May 6th... I first saw an ad for the reissue in a January edition of Guitar Magazine. Ive been waiting that long..

the store in upstate NY where I picked mine up has one of each finish in stock. Dont know anything about their shipping costs, but I do know they ship world wide. you can PM me for the info. dont know if it's cool to put it on the forum.

the store in upstate NY where I picked mine up has one of each finish in stock. Dont know anything about their shipping costs, but I do know they ship world wide. you can PM me for the info. dont know if it's cool to put it on the forum.

Hey I appreciate the offer but I already paid so looks like Im just gonna wait.

Nice looking guitar I've got the same one and I really like the way it plays. The cleans are very usable in all the positions to me but it seems to get a little muddy sounding and loose note definition when distortion or OD is introduced. Not terrible but noticeable which brings me to my question, Does anyone out there have or know where to find any info at all on these pick ups(the ones in the nighthawk)? I sure can't. It's like they don't exist. All in all it's a great little guitar and my favorite guitar to play right now. The more I play it the more i like it.

This is about all thats out there right now about them:

"You get an expanded range of tone options with the HSH pickup configuration consisting of a Slant NHT bridge humbucker, NSX single-coil middle pickup, and NHR mini-humbucker along with a 5-way pickup selector and push/pull coil-splitting for the humbuckers."

Im only buying one with the intention of modding it. The unique body style and pickup options make it an attractive guitar to one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Fireburst back today after a minor repair (the volume pot shaft was slightly angled due to some residual wood between the pot body and inner face of the control cavity). While being repaired, I asked the tech to check on the fretboard material since it looked light enough to be rosewood. He sent some pictures back to Gibson/Epiphone, and while they agreed it was a lighter toned example, they assured him that all Nighthawk Reissues have ebony boards.

I preferred the look of the bell knobs, and brought that up at the same time. Epiphone said they are making a rolling manufacturing change to the bell knobs as advertised. They sent a trans amber set to my tech and he installed them. I'm very happy with the results, both in color and shape. The tech sent the old speed knobs back, and they are much lighter/yellower than the bells - probably a better match for the Trans Amber NH. The bell's deeper amber body and reddish top are much better matches to the Fireburst finish, and the bell profile is not at all hindering my use of the push-pull coil split. So glad to have it back!

Heard a few comments about the fretboard being lighter than you might expect with Ebony....kind of worried me, since I wanted a black one, and I thought the dark board and body would look good together.

The fretboard of the example I got was nice and dark, you would never mistake it for rosewood.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I wanted a trans-amber, but when I saw the trans-black at GC I grabbed it. This was back when they were giving a 15% discount on anything with a trade in. I had a delay peday that I hadn't used in years that they gave me 60.00 for. In addition to the 15% off with the trade, they gave me an other 10% because it had a small "ding" in the finish... So out the door with the trade this guitar only cost me 279.00 out of pocket (I know I paid something for the delay pedal but that was so long ago I cant even remember what I paid). I was thinking about changing the pups on it as well, but that was before I heard it. I think I am going to leave it alone... at least for a while. This thing sounds great through my eleven rack and my Blues Jr. NOS. It is tiny, and I am a big guy, so it looks even smaller when I play it, but it's big on sound.

A word of advice for those concerned about the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)... Do NOT hang all of your guitars on the wall!! After purchasing this guitar, I thought it would be cool to hang my guitars (acoustic's, electric's and basses) on the wall. I had them stashed all over the house, in closet's, under beds... I thought if they were all on the wall in my man cave (small home studio) it would be a lot easier to grab the one I want. After spending a couple hours hanging them all on the wall, in a very proud way, I invited the wife to come in and take a look.... She walked in and immediately started counting... 1 2 3 4 5.. and on and on. Biggest mistake I have made in a long time. She now knows how many I have and what they look like (she even brought in a digital camer and took a couple pics for reference). For years (about 15 of them) she has had pretty much no idea how many I had. I should have kept it that way....

TxStrat, LOL! My situation is similar to yours...I have them all over the house, and my wife can't tell one from another. So when she sees me with a new one, I say "I've had it for awhile".

I've got String Swings to hang them in the man cave...I'm just not going to hang up ALL of them. ;O)

Archived