Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Std

VinceS

I just bought a new 2010 SG Std at GC. I've had it about a week now and I love it. The only problem is that the finsih where the neck joins the body has a small crack in it. It starts at the back and goes about 2/3 of the way to the front on the top of the neck. On the back it's much shorter, traveling about 1/3 of the way to the front. I can't see any problems at the back of the neck. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. It hasn't been dropped (since I've had it). I know that these guitars are infamous for having a weak neck joint. I don't really want to take it back as I really like the tone and the neck is great. The last SG I had was a '64 Std that I had back in the early '70's. Which had no problems. Has anyone else ran into anything like? Is it a common problem? Should I swap it out? Any info or advise would be appreciated.

Guest BentonC

Sounds like some finish checking to me (always more susceptible at joints/angles). The neck should be rock solid.

Has it been involved in any rapid temperature or humidity changes recently?

Sounds like some finish checking to me (always more susceptible at joints/angles). The neck should be rock solid.

Has it been involved in any rapid temperature or humidity changes recently?

No it stays in one room with the rest of my guitars,no problems with them at all. Also it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...

If i were you, i would return it. Guitar center has a 30 day return policy on guitars, no questions asked. If you spend this much money on an instrument it should not have any defects. I bought a standard from GC last year and had a crack in the fretboard so i returned it and got a refund. Dont let corp.get ya!

Archived