Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Signature

Clayfingers

Hi there,

I'm currently GASsing over a Nick Lucas custom, madagascar r/w back and sides, adi top, with both the gibson orange label and nick lucas special label signed by Ren Ferguson. I've heard rumours that this means he had soething to do with building the guitar, I've searched this forum, but come up with nothing. Anyone got any info on the importance of the Sig's? Would it have an effect on price/collectability? If I'm to get this one over the line, I need to make the "investment peice" arguement stick.

Cheers.

I've heard rumours that this means he had soething to do with building the guitar, I've searched this forum, but come up with nothing. Anyone got any info on the importance of the Sig's? Would it have an effect on price/collectability?

Means nothing. I guess it increases the probability that he had something to do with building the guitar, but I know of cases where he has signed the label on a guitar he had nothing whatsoever to do with. And, contrarily, I know of guitars that he has hand-built and not signed. But, that said, I expect the signature will increase the value of the guitar, at least a little, in the long term.

-- Bob R

Instruments he signs may end up like those signed by Lloyd Loar.Priceless.

I guess it could happen but it seems unlikely. Loar's tenure at Gibson marked a turning point, especially for mandolins. It wasn't just a return to something, it was a launch of completely innovative instrument designs. And, those changes went pretty much unnoticed for decades. Loar lost his job at Gibson. A Loar signed instrument only acquired panache in the 1960s.

The value of signatures comes up from time to time. Will a Steve Carlson Weber be worth more than one without the signature? Hasn't happened yet. How about a Derrington-signed Gibson mandolin? Doesn't consistently add value despite the exceptional respect that Charlie's work earned during his lifetime and has continued to enjoy. Most people agree that celebrity autographs do nothing to the value of a guitar unless it's a guitar that the celebrity played extensively.

I own a Bourgeois guitar that's signed by Dana Bourgeois, a Goodall guitar signed by James Goodall, and a couple of Sobell mandolins signed by Stefan Sobell (as examples). Their value is dependent on their merits as musical instruments, not the scrawlings on the label. Gibson guitars will definitely continue to be prized for their inherent value. I suspect that who signs the label won't make much difference.

Of course, I could end up being wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Archived