Gibson Brands Forums

For Your Safety

TommyK

Just heard something in the last couple days about furnace safety in blizzards.

High efficiency furnaces do not vent through a flue pipe to the roof of the house. They vent via a PVC pipe through the side wall of your house. The end of this pipe is about a foot to 18" above the ground. If it gets covered with snow, exhaust gasses, specifically carbon monoxide (CO) can back up into the house and asphyxiate the inhabitants. [scared]

Most modern, and therefore high efficiency, furnaces do have a safety shut-down feature if the exhaust pipe gets plugged by snow, bird nests or mud pies. If your furnace has quit on you in the last couple days, check that the exhaust pipe is breathing freely. There may be a re-set switch that needs re-set in order to get it going again. I don't know if mine has a re-set switch, but I will be looking into it.

For those unfamiliar, the exhaust on these H.E. furnaces is white plastic PVC, much like the drain pipes in your house. In fact it is the same as your drain pipes. Follow this pipe from the furnace to where it exits the house. The end of it will be right out side.

Just heard something in the last couple days about furnace safety in blizzards.

High efficiency furnaces do not vent through a flue pipe to the roof of the house. They vent via a PVC pipe through the side wall of your house. The end of this pipe is about a foot to 18" above the ground. If it gets covered with snow, exhaust gasses, specifically carbon monoxide (CO) can back up into the house and asphyxiate the inhabitants. [scared]

Most modern, and therefore high efficiency, furnaces do have a safety shut-down feature if the exhaust pipe gets plugged by snow, bird nests or mud pies. If your furnace has quit on you in the last couple days, check that the exhaust pipe is breathing freely. There may be a re-set switch that needs re-set in order to get it going again. I don't know if mine has a re-set switch, but I will be looking into it.

For those unfamiliar, the exhaust on these H.E. furnaces is white plastic PVC, much like the drain pipes in your house. In fact it is the same as your drain pipes. Follow this pipe from the furnace to where it exits the house. The end of it will be right out side.

Good on ya for the look outmsp_thumbup.gif

Heading outside now.

Archived