Gibson Brands Forums

My 74 Southern Jumbo

Hall

A very few of you might remember a two year's past botched reset post here regarding my favorite gig use 74 SJ, worked on by an area 5 star Gibson Repair. Lot of battles went on since then. I finally got lazy on fighting, other bigger problems, you know the story. Just gave up (not the world's most valuable instrument). Anyway, to make a long story short. On a new hope, I got Dan Erlewine to take a look at her this month. I was hoping he might see a challenge worth his using as an example in one of his articles, etc. Wildest dream, I suppose. First look by Dan was, "no need to reset, shave refret, saddle work $400 to $500" . I'm on my way! It was turned over to his partner. Story changed to so much done wrong previously it would be more than 2k to repair fully, and I was advised to put her away for good. I asked how such a big change could have arisen from first look to now. Answer was obvious, the more they looked the worse it got. I can understand such after 50 years in the playing and minor repair business myself. In the end I received three options from around $900, to $1400, to $2000 plus. Nothing against Dan and his partner. They were professional and straight shooters on it. Too professional for such a guitar I suppose.

So I took their advice and forgot repair. She came back today (a little more transit /weather damage). I put my favorite player guitar and original case away for good after 33 plus years of use. Sad day. I have a lifetime of guitars all over my home, but none of them play and sound like that old average made Gibson. It doesn't pay to be sentimental, but thats' me. Somtimes I suppose one has to face up the reality of things, but this was a tough guitar moment for me; a whole lot of musical memories gone to bed. I'll never know how the original shop screwed up so bad. The guy had done work for me before. Beats all. Even Erlewine and his partner were left scratching their heads at the mess. It was just a guitar, but I thought I'd end the saga to anyone who remembered and remind everyone to know who is working on your guitars.

Hall

I have a J-45 Deluxe from the same era 72-74. Square shoulder. Needed neck reset, refret, had loose braces, binding deteriorating and falling off in big chunks, Cracked top in two places. I bought the guitar for $100.00 in 1976. Played it for over thirty years. I should have retired it. I just couldn't do it. I sent it to Gibson repair. They said for $1500.00 they could Do neck reset,refret, glue braces, repair top. I had the money and could have bought a new guitar. I had the work done. The guitar still looks like junk but sounds and plays so well that I have not regretted doing the work. I am good for another 30 years.

So the shop botched the repair and didn't own up to their mistake ?

If it was me I'd have to at least go into their shop and accidently trip and fall against a few of their guitars,

just to get some revenge so that I could feel like I've gotten even.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sad day.
Yes it is. A similar thing happened to me w. my first good guitar, a 1970 Gibson Hummingbird I played for 20 years. Same story: guitar w. problems, bad repair, tired of running it down & eventually got advice from a good source in line with your story.

I sold that beloved guitar and the good news is that I eventually found another Gibson that IMO + IME is better than my 'Bird. It has truly taken it's place & hope that happens for you.

Thanks everyone. There for a few days I thought I actually had Erlewine's interest. Anyway, an end to a very old open post. Gotta build a real friendship with one in the other room now, I suppose.

Karen, Rabbit Hash is world famous. Even has its own site.

Again, much appreciated all.

Hall

Mister Hall - Just read a shady SJ tale. In my world it takes a lot to totally put an old friend aside. There's always some kind of hope and so much a well-skilled luthier can do. But I believe you when you say the flying days are over for this good pal – All Things Must Pass. Maybe the right therapy for you would be to start looking for something else – focus on some long-time dream, find it and get it in house.

After all there's a hole to fill.

For some unknown reason – or probably because I'm an SJ man – it would be interesting to see a picture or 2 of your faded servant. A worthy way of showing the senior respect and homage.

I need a refresher on what happened with it. I seem to recall a neck reset taking place and them setting it too steeply, thus leaving a hump in the board.....? Is that right?

I'd never second guess Dan in a million years, but I tend to look at things as "How far do I want to go to make this thing right?" as opposed to X-number of hours at X-dollar rate. His method is much more realistic, and that's why he's successful and I'm a hack.

Just sayin', things can be fixed. Post some pics if you can bear to pull it back out of the case.

ksd, E-minor7 - I am an old surviving 60ies freak who can't even remember how to give a urine sample let alone having ever learned to post a picture on these machines. I moaned about that one last year when my Brownie broke. Remember? If I can find someone still speaking to me, I will see what I can do on some photos. Thanks.

Hall

Dear Hall, 60ties freak, great - I'm right behind you. Each Forumite has a quota of pics to click on via the 'Attachments system' in the down left corner. If you already used yours, try Photobucket. An internet stock-facility where you can pile up pictures and send them further by a so called HTML code. Your clue is 2 doors next to the yellow smiley. A little weekend challenge there. . .

E-minor7

Double Duh. I sure haven't used my quota of photos! Stil, I don't have a picture of the darn guitar anyway. I'll go out to area street corners tonight and try and find a camera buff or somebody whose name is not, Hyde! I'm trying. They don't call me, "The Loner" for nothing. This will take me some time. * If my one remaining friend could ever learn to work her friggin' new camera gift from two Christmases ago, I might stand a chance. Confiscation is looming over her head right now! Thanks.

Hall

Page 4, already. Hmm. Very big and busy forum now days. I'm not gonna get any pictures.[cursing] Put the SJ away for good in the attic with all my other long lost discards and injured. Looks like I'm out of the acoustic Gibson family for a bit also, as my old Martin D41 is feeling and sounding best of the lot right now. "The wheel keeps on turning". Thanks again to all who offerred help and advice on this one.

Hall

Archived