Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird

MarkusK

Hello!

I am new here so I am not sure if there's some thread for all Hummingbird questions/discussions. If so, guide me to it. :)

Either way, I am looking to investing in a Gibson hummingbird and I am wondering if there's anything I should know about the different versions throughout the years.

For instance, what's the difference between the modern model and the true vintage model, along with the artist-version? I've noticed the tuners on true vintage are a bit different. What else?

Also, I was curious if the modern model will get any updates or changes on the 2011-model, or if it will be the same as the earlier models.

Any kind of suggestions of things to watch out for, or things to take notice to when trying guitars at a higher price is appriciated!

Thanks,

Markus

It' a huuuuge question and almost impossible to answer. The flok of Birds are so big and varies so much that the real knowers on the topic could/should write a book.

But, , , I sense you focus on the contemporary versions and with that in mind, I might help you a bit with the following : Our local store has 2 very tempting H-birds available, The Standard and The True Vintage. I been trying them approx. 5 times since May last year and though I like the TV finish better, it must besaid that the Standard is the strongest sounding of the 2. I last touched them a few weeks ago and was told they were giving the same pair of new strings back in the fall - the TV - though so beautiful I feel like eating it - still fell behind. Though thats how it is here, it will not mean others would have the same experience with similar pairs elsewhere. And that's the whole point. I don't know where you live and if you are able to check different shops and stocks, but comparing a long line is the only real way forward. Imagine it would be dissatisfying for you to mail-order one apparently super-ex. without having tasted a broader slice of the serious zone you are about to enter :

Gibson Hummingbird 6-strings.

Check bracing and other details on the G-site and consider a discreet hint. That type of guitar is closely connected to and look stunning with the classic tulip-tuners, , , imho - so mixed with the lines above, we have a smaller dilemma here. .

It' a huuuuge question and almost impossible to answer. The flok of Birds are so big and varies so much that the real knowers on the topic could/should write a book.

But, , , I sense you focus on the contemporary versions and with that in mind, I might help you a bit with the following : Our local store has 2 very tempting H-birds available, The Standard and The True Vintage. I been trying them approx. 5 times since May last year and though I like the TV finish better, it must besaid that the Standard is the strongest sounding of the 2. I last touched them a few weeks ago and was told they were giving the same pair of new strings back in the fall - the TV - though so beautiful I feel like eating it - still fell behind. Though thats how it is here, it will not mean others would have the same experience with similar pairs elsewhere. And that's the whole point. I don't know where you live and if you are able to check different shops and stocks, but comparing a long line is the only real way forward. Imagine it would be dissatisfying for you to mail-order one apparently super-ex. without having tasted a broader slice of the serious zone you are about to enter :

Gibson Hummingbird 6-strings.

Check bracing and other details on the G-site and consider a discreet hint. That type of guitar is closely connected to and look stunning with the classic tulip-tuners, , , imho - so mixed with the lines above, we have a smaller dilemma here. .

Hello!

Thanks for replying!

I have a few musicstore where I live, however it's flocked with people at almost any given time a day. I will, ofcourse, go compare the models in playability and feel when the time is getting closer.

The only downside is that the store I am looking in is charging about 400 euro more than I would pay if I ordered it from a trusty european site. As all guitars are unique it's hard to know if you get a good or a bad one even though it's the same model that you've tried in the store. But as a student you would prefer the money saved aswell, so I'm a bit split when it comes to it.

But mainly I am curious if the Hummingbird, modern version, is going to be changed in any way(new tuners, inlays, headstock, colors etc) that would make it worth waiting/hasting to get the version that I'd prefer.

Also, I was curious if the "honeyburst" is still available on new models. I've just seen heritage cherry sunburst, but I prefer the honeybursted one!

Thanks again

Markusk - I think E-minor7 gave you good advice on wandering around and playing everyone you can touch. I like the TVs. I have a Custom with quilted maple b&s. I had it made for me a few years back when they did that small batch. It has always been stiff from lack of play 'til this year as I now play it more and it has opened up in all respects. Though maple back and sides, it is still a soft sound made for the singer. They sure don't have to be anything extra special or Custom Shop to sound sweet though. The finish feel seems to me to vary a great deal. Might just be my imagination. If I were looking, I'd be patient and really check all the particulars E-minor7 mentioned. If used, a mirror and a bridge plate check is always a good idea. Good luck.

Hall

Archived