Gibson Brands Forums

DR-500mce and Guitar Center?

MickeyNJ2

I went to my local Guitar Center last night(Cherry Hill,NJ) and they had (1) of the allusive DR-500mce – this one was in natural finish. My main objective was to just play one of these as neither GC or the Sam Ash has had one for the past year. Well now I’m very interested in purchasing one however I would rather have the Vintage Sunburst finish. The guy as GC looked in his computer and didn’t see the availability of a VS finish and asked if I had ever seen one??? [confused] I asked him to goggle Dr-500mce and the VS came up under Sam Ash :-k – He said the VS may be a limited option only available at SA. I know this may be more of a GC vs. SA thing But has anyone ever seen one at GC or know if GC can order the VS finish? The Sam Ash store is actually only about 300 feet away from the GC story – but last year for by B-day my loving wife gave me a gift card to GC (most likely in a hast as she didn’t know what else to get) so I’d like to order from GC if at all possible.

Also – any thoughts, comments, concerns, accolades, pros, cons on the DR-500mce. As I started out looking over a year ago…I was interested in the 1.75nut width of the EF-500rcce however neither GC or SA ever had one of them either. Then the DR500mce came out in 2010 with the 1.725nut width in the VS and that’s how I became interested in that (plus it's $200 less). Yes, I’m somewhat of a procrastinator...and okay maybe a little thrifty. But now the itch is back and I know you all know what I’m talking about.

I spoke to the assistant manager at GC today and asked about the VS version - he said he would call Gibson to see what he could find out. I gave him this product number I got off this forum probably about a year ago+-...EMECVSNH3 - about 2 hours later he called me back and said he spoke to Mr. Gibson himself(well not really) but he said Gibson said they have about 150-someodd unit backlog and it would be about 60 to 90 days from order to delivery. He also said I would only have to put half down so I just may go this Friday and order me one of those babies...It's my birthday(hands overhead palm up pushing up in the air)

post-30104-046474900 1297296456_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, i own a DR-500MCE Vintage sunburst. I get it from a local guitar shop ITALMELODIE in Montreal, Canada. They didn't have it in stock. The salesman call Epiphone Canada and they have it in stock. It seem that the VS is very rare. I love mine, this is a real beauty, it was perfect right out of the box. I read many review from owner of the natural model and everyone agree, this is high quality instrument.

http://img534.imageshack.us/i/51303533.jpg/

Thanks for your input GTA...Yesterday I went back up to GC and like I said before Sam Ash is in the same shopping complex about 200yds away(not sure how many meters that is you know the US educational system and the metric system never got along). Anyway I went to SA first to see if they had any of the EF500 series with the 1.75nut width for comparison and much to my surprise they had a EF-500R and the DR-500mce in VS hanging on the wall…my head almost exploded – I was wanting to play these two models side by side for like a year now and every time I would ask if they had either model in they say no but you can order one, however I didn’t want to get into that whole order, return and reorder deal.

So it’s 4:00pm on a Friday and I’m the only one in the acoustic room which is good because I’m a beginner and only know a few things I’m comfortable playing in public. I get both guitars and set them in front of me and compare side by side, front to front, back to back, strum to strum and picking to picking. It was great I felt like a novice expert analyst. In the end the DR-500mceVS won. However since I have a gift card to GC – I walk down there with the EMECVSNH3 number and placed my order – Now I have to wait 60-90 days – but I’ve been waiting over a year now so whats a few more months. Beside the one at Sam’s had a small impression on the sound board above the pick guard.

For what it’s worth…enjoy, mick

Hi MickeyNJ2, you did a good choice! I don't know if you try it plug into an amp, but this guitar has an amazing sound trought an amp. The new eSonic2 preamp system give a lot of feature. I think that the DR-500MCE VS is the best keep secret from Epiphone. Even were i buy it, there was no Masterbilt in stock. They decide to order a few of them now they see mine. I didn't see no review on youtube about this model, maybe i'll do one? All i can say this worth the wait. [thumbup]

Hi MickeyNJ2, you did a good choice! I don't know if you try it plug into an amp, but this guitar has an amazing sound trought an amp. The new eSonic2 preamp system give a lot of feature. I think that the DR-500MCE VS is the best keep secret from Epiphone. Even were i buy it, there was no Masterbilt in stock. They decide to order a few of them now they see mine. I didn't see no review on youtube about this model, maybe i'll do one? All i can say this worth the wait. [thumbup]

definately do the review! And post it up here when you get it uploaded!

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a DR-500MCE from my local Guitar Center and have a few questions for anyone else that owns one or has played one in the store:

1. Does anyone have problems with the "detents" in their eSonic2 pickup system? Specifically, mine seem to have worn out so I can't really tell where the center position is. This is pretty weird because the guitar looked brand new. They also feel very loose, specifically the nanomag one.

2. Does anyone have buzz around the 12th fret with the G and D strings? I actually hear it coming from the saddle (straight bar) and not the frets. The guy at Guitar Center told me a lot of Epiphone acoustics buzz at the 12th fret. I thought this was weird but bought the guitar anyway because it sounded so great otherwise. :)

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should get a new one or not. It plays so great that I'm afraid a new one might not match up. Also, this one is the natural finish, but whatever process they use to age the guitars in the factory has turned it into a nice vintage-looking color!

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a DR-500MCE from my local Guitar Center and have a few questions for anyone else that owns one or has played one in the store:

1. Does anyone have problems with the "detents" in their eSonic2 pickup system? Specifically, mine seem to have worn out so I can't really tell where the center position is. This is pretty weird because the guitar looked brand new. They also feel very loose, specifically the nanomag one.

2. Does anyone have buzz around the 12th fret with the G and D strings? I actually hear it coming from the saddle (straight bar) and not the frets. The guy at Guitar Center told me a lot of Epiphone acoustics buzz at the 12th fret. I thought this was weird but bought the guitar anyway because it sounded so great otherwise. :)

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should get a new one or not. It plays so great that I'm afraid a new one might not match up. Also, this one is the natural finish, but whatever process they use to age the guitars in the factory has turned it into a nice vintage-looking color!

Thanks!

Hi djsully3, i own a DR-500MCE VS, the natural looks very nice. I bought it from a local shop. From many forum a heard many different things about GuitarCenter. I live in Montréal Canada. From here GuitarCenter seem to be an important shop in U.S.A. I d'ont understand how they could let there salesman tell anything to the customer that walk in there to talk with professional. Has far has you have question, needs or not sure about something, the sales people should take time to meet your demands. The Buzz around the 12th fret is not normal. Don't be afraid, when they ask you to pay the guitar, they were not afraid. Now they should deliver and satisfy you. You can tell them what you did, like discuss this issue under forum, and everyone is telling you that GuitarCenter is a great shop that will help you, even if we know that sometimes they try to make the corner circular??? Good luck and go ahead!

Archived