Gibson Brands Forums

'02 studio??

tng6664

Help,,curious,,I've searched and can't find exact info..,.,looking at a 2002 gibson les paul studio,,wine red(burg.)gold hardware,black w/white stripe pickguard. Getting an excellent deal..too good to pass.Still might want a standard later but,?<?<?<?which p/u came stock,heard on a board somewhwere the pots/electronics are less than a standard,,I can't pass this up,,also any tips like maybe replace some electronics or anything to get the most out of,if again you guys confirm it's the same setup as a standard,,minus cosmetic,,i'm good to go,would like setup like '99 model standard stock

A 2002 Studio will be very similar to a Standard, with a few small differences. The p/u should be 490R/498T whereas a Standard would have Burst Buckers. Some would consider this a downgrade, however Gibson also put the 490/498s in the Custom and Supreme. IMO, they're very good for modern or classic type music.

The neck on a 2002 Studio would most likely be a little fatter than a Standard of the same year. Studios generally have a 50s rounded neck. Most, but not all Standards have a 60s Slim Taper neck. A Standard after 2008 will have an asymmetrical neck.

If you're looking for a player, not an investment, a Studio is a great deal IMO.

How good of a deal are we talking?

It was a $900 guitar brand new - WITH a factory hard case.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Les Paul Studio - great playing/sounding and well-made.

As long as you realize it's not worth the same money as a Standard...

How good of a deal are we talking?

It was a $900 guitar brand new - WITH a factory hard case.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Les Paul Studio - great playing/sounding and well-made.

As long as you realize it's not worth the same money as a Standard...

How good of a deal??? I have 2 80's era ibanez pedals,,analog delay,,phaser,the guy is a fender man, he got the studio on a trade plus I know him pretty good,,we're trading straight up.I had no doubt i would do the deal,,just trying to get info on the internals,,Gibson site says same setup as standard minus binding,fancy paint,,just really curious about elec.,,,ok I've checked it over thoroughly,,it's solid ,elects. work fine,neck and headstock are in almost perfect shape,,body does have dings and scratches,,oh yea,gold hrdwre.which i hate,wish i knew how to remove goldplate instead having to buy chrome/silver.

Saturn is correct, 490R and 498T humbuckers. The pots are the same as on the LP standard. Volume pot is 300k linear taper and the tone is 500k audio taper.

Archived