Gibson Brands Forums

Shipping in COLD Weather

B Chas

I just bought a 1950s L-50 in remarkably good shape. No cracks or issues and only a few dings and no finish checking. It’s being shipped Tomorrow, Fed Ex overnight air, from its home in Buffalo NY to me in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.

The L-50 comes with a Gibson 60s soft shell case (The top is arched and the interior is lined with a thick red fuzzy material. It's a decent step up from a chipboard case and very firm). Although the L-50 should only be in transit for less than 24 hours, I’m concerned about extreme temperature changes and finish checking during shipping. Buffalo temperature tomorrow is expected to be just below freezing and Ft. Lauderdale is in the 70s. The Shipper is experienced and is shipping with extra foam sheets, bubble wrap and peanuts and using a thicker box.

Think I should pursue a hard case for shipping? I don’t need one, but I’d pursue a hard shell case just for shipping if I thought it provide better protection from finish checking.

I am familiar with need to allow the guitar time to acclimate to its new temperature before unpacking it. Think a hard case provides superior temperature protection than a Gibson soft shell case, considering all the extra packing?

B Chas How long did you wait before opening the case/box?

I am just have received a guitar five hours ago and still circling around the case [biggrin].

The street temperature is 5F.

I am familiar with need to allow the guitar time to acclimate to its new temperature before unpacking it. Think a hard case provides superior temperature protection than a Gibson soft shell case, considering all the extra packing?

Mine shippped from a little above freezing to the 70s here in Florida. I shipped Fed Ex overnight, so it was kept moving along the system. I did wait about 4 hours, it was wasn;t as hard since I was working while waiting.

Since you posted early this morning, you should be playing by now.

B Chas How long did you wait before opening the case/box?

I am just have received a guitar five hours ago and still circling around the case [biggrin].

The street temperature is 5F.

I found a digital multimeter with a very small temperature probe in my instruments and inserted the probe into a gap in the case without opening it.

The temperature inside the case was 65F whereas the room temperature was 74F. I waited a few hours more until the temperature inside the case became 72F, then opened the case. The guitar looked just fine and looks the same by now ))

p.s. I am from Russia, we are experiencing strong frost during this winter, for example the street temperature is -19F today.

The guitar was shipped from Los Angeles.

Since you posted early this morning, you should be playing by now.

Archived