Gibson Brands Forums

OPEN ENDED QUESTION TO OUR BRITISH FRIENDS!!!

onewilyfool

Why oh why...........did you inflict us with Simon Cowell???? NOW....we have "X" factor.....is there no end to your torture?????

You wait til you get "the nations sweetheart" Cheryl Cole!

But sorry Wily you guys are responsible for the decline in TV programmes (in my humble opinion) one of the joys of going to the US on holiday is to preview the dross that your guys have sold to us to make us cringe for the next year.

Only my opnion of course which is worthless in the context of this learned establishment

Im actually of the opinion american TV has improved singificantly in the last decade or so. Programs like Mad Men and The Shield were and are great viewing. Three and a half men on the other hand ... where's the puke bucket ..lol

Back to Xfactor, if i look at my domestic situation where you have two people with different 'native' languages we actually found a program like Xfactor to be the great leveler, in that its all about music not language. We learned to enjoy our sunday nites and listen to the kiddies in a 'common' language.

You wait til you get "the nations sweetheart" Cheryl Cole!

But sorry Wily you guys are responsible for the decline in TV programmes (in my humble opinion) one of the joys of going to the US on holiday is to preview the dross that your guys have sold to us to make us cringe for the next year.

Only my opnion of course which is worthless in the context of this learned establishment

I'm sure if the British sat down and came up with a list of lousy things we in the US have given them, that list would far outweigh the lousy things they've given us. We did kind of talk them into getting involved in that whole Iraq mess, after all.

Good point!!!

[biggrin]

X Factor is there to be ignored. Cowell has realised that most people love to hate so he fills the show with ridiculous idiots (sometimes of questionable state of mind) for us to jeer at. He then accompanies this with a some what racially diverse selection of well manicured pop tarts.

To be fair this is merely a condensed version of what the british charts used to be. It's not such a bad thing as you can always reach for that OFF button!

Also, I've just got Sky Atlantic over here in the UK and am loving some of those shows (not sure if they're pilots or what but some serious money has been laid out). I think it's just HBO re packaged but am not sure. The one with Al Pachino is great, as is Boardwalk Empire!

Im actually of the opinion american TV has improved singificantly in the last decade or so. Programs like Mad Men and The Shield were and are great viewing. Three and a half men on the other hand ... where's the puke bucket ..lol

Back to Xfactor, if i look at my domestic situation where you have two people with different 'native' languages we actually found a program like Xfactor to be the great leveler, in that its all about music not language. We learned to enjoy our sunday nites and listen to the kiddies in a 'common' language.

As I said

I think we get resonably even by inflicting "The Hoff" on them.

Maybe if we inflicted his recording career on British Muzak, we'd be closer to evener.

[flapper]

the hoff is huge in germany..lol.. yeah you got equal when you sent a certain mr trump to destroy part of the scottish coastline. or we could make the suggestion that nobody will ever be equal after BUSH!!!

He was sent as payback for for Friends (pass the sick bucket :) ) ,Mc Donalds and Bon Jovi LOL

OH!!! and we still have a LOT of payback to inflict for those three!

Friends was kind of a USA Neighbours wasn't it?

Except I recall there was an Aussie who posed with a guitar on Neighbours and a blonde bimbo who played a song about cats on Friends

Just an effeort to get back to guitars

It's just that I thought......."he's finally GONE!!!", when he left American Idol....we were SOOOOOO close!

Naw he's like

Last nights curry

Hunger after Chinese food

The ugly girl when you're pi$$ed

The hook from "Sugar Sugar"

Shingles

Boomerangs

The dog you drove all the way to Monument Valley to abandon

Your first wife

The baliffs

various STDs ( so I am told)

etc etc add to it if you like.........

You think they're gone and back they come!!

Also, I've just got Sky Atlantic over here in the UK and am loving some of those shows (not sure if they're pilots or what but some serious money has been laid out). I think it's just HBO re packaged but am not sure. The one with Al Pachino is great, as is Boardwalk Empire!

I'm loving Boardwalk Empire. Also, it's great to see X-Files from Season 1.

And they're re-running Curb Your Enthusiasim from the start (fortunately, I've got the lot on DVD) but if you've never seen this give it a go - love Larry David. Hopefully, it's only a matter of time before they re-run the whole of Seinfeld.

Love HBO.

Hopefully, it's only a matter of time before they re-run the whole of Seinfeld.

Um would that be the same Seinfeld who loves his UK fans so much he could only be arsed to do one gig in the UK

At least Cowell( prat that he is) has the decency to be openly cynical!

Um would that be the same Seinfeld who loves his UK fans so much he could only be arsed to do one gig in the UK

Ah - now - to be fair, you've caught me there. When I saw he was coming to the UK I was over the moon. That feeling quickly turned to dismay, of course, when I saw that he was only doing one show - and then it turned to bitter disappointment when I saw the tickets were £100 each!!!!!!

That said, the TV series is still among the funniest shows ever to come across the pond.

X Factor is there to be ignored. Cowell has realised that most people love to hate so he fills the show with ridiculous idiots (sometimes of questionable state of mind) for us to jeer at. He then accompanies this with a some what racially diverse selection of well manicured pop tarts.

To be fair this is merely a condensed version of what the british charts used to be. It's not such a bad thing as you can always reach for that OFF button!

That's right. Turn off and get playing.

I have to admit, I did get rather hooked to the last series. But at least a proper musician (from Essex no less) won. In fact he played in my local pub last June at the annual beer festival, on the Sunday. I played on the Friday. I didn't see Matt Cardle but heard him as I walked the dogs.

SC is such a tight git, they made Matt Cardle tape over the word Taylor on his acoustic when he played it. Un believable!

First of a complete re-run of The Sopranos starts tomorrow on Sky Atlantic. Got to be the best TV series ever. (Or "period" if one prefers.)

Thanks chaps for HBO. It's so good, it could be British!

Archived