Gibson Brands Forums

America!

Duende

Thanks again everyone msp_thumbup.gif What was funny performing it for the first time, was that there were a few sections I had not decided on which route to take. Under pressure, as well as nervous slips here and there, the adrenalin made me choose the bits on the recording. So the piece sort of finished itself off in those sections LOL

I have two more movements I am working on so it will be about a 13/14 minute piece when it is finished - I will record it soon too.

Cheers

Matt

That is so cool!!

I gotta check out the 007 chord. [biggrin]

he he

I love this chord!!!!

-------------4-------------------------

-------------5-------------------------

-------------5-------------------------

-------------4-------------------------

---------------------------------------

Thanks for the composition Matt. The inspirations for the movements really come through and I'm looking forward to the expanded version. The playing was beautiful and though different from one another, the movements flowed together effortlessly.

Thanks

:blink:

I'm totally blown away -- that was amazing!

Even without the musical "quotation" or homage to American music in the middle, I really think I would have known it was about the U.S.A.: Especially in the first part there's a sort of bustling industriousness and hectic that I find to be very American.

Thanks for posting that!

=D>

:blink:

in the first part there's a sort of bustling industriousness and hectic that I find to be very American.

Thanks for posting that!

=D>

Hi Freak Show

This is the side of America I LOVE and it made me smile that you can hear that! cheers!

I wanted to show (in music) all the positivity that I think of and feel when I think of America. The ethos of hard work and coming together that built America! Not the fast food or Disney America, but the irrepressible spirit which to me is the real soul of the country. People like Lincoln who are just as inspirational to non Americans make me think of what it is to be American.

Matt

Matt I listened to this piece a few days ago but didn't have time to post.

Just listened to it again and love it!

Sort of what Brian Wilson described as painting with sound.

Tell me how do you start composing something such as this. Is it just a thread of an idea? Do you just play "feels" as I call them until one takes hold and blossoms into much more? Is the structure of the piece predetermined or does it take on a life of its own?

I think we could all benefit from how your the composing process works.

Tell me how do you start composing something such as this. Is it just a thread of an idea? Do you just play "feels" as I call them until one takes hold and blossoms into much more? Is the structure of the piece predetermined or does it take on a life of its own?

Hi Cookie

Well... with most of my recent pieces (including this onemsp_biggrin.gif), I compose away from the guitar, just so that I don't fall into guitar thinking traps! Those 'traps' are letting my fingers starting to find things they are comfortable with, instead of choosing notes that are right for the piece! When you compose from your mind, opposed to your fingers, your imagination doesn't consider what your fingers are capable of which is very liberating! (My composition teacher was a guitarists and instilled that in me)

This piece isn't finished by any means. I have two more movements I am working on, one which is based on the Great Depression and also the recession now! So a nice moody piece will be added to cheer you up soon!

Matt

Matt...

Just a thought here...

On the U.S. Northern Plains during the depression is when we had also the burst of live radio. Fiddlers, guitar players, accordion players... The fiddling was sometimes material like "Bile them cabbage down" to "Faded Love" and "Black Velvet Waltz."

Those guys would cross styles like crazy, Lawrence Welk and his accordion-based polka and waltz band might end up playing some "Western Swing" or big band stuff. A lot of piano and fiddle combinations.

Usually a very warm sound on radio thanks to the mikes and tube transmitters of the day. I actually played some material on it and at other times listened to friends playing a live studio gig.

"Live," there sometimes would be a tube PA for the mike in the later years of that decade through the 1950s, but mostly even in the dance halls, large and small, it was just acoustic for most instruments although the fiddler on occasion would come up to the mike. As the 50s went on, more and more folks had various sorts of tube PAs. The speakers tended to be horrid things stolen <grin> from the console radios that had gone out of style when replaced by televisions.

m

Matt...

Just a thought here...

On the U.S. Northern Plains during the depression is when we had also the burst of live radio. Fiddlers, guitar players, accordion players... The fiddling was sometimes material like "Bile them cabbage down" to "Faded Love" and "Black Velvet Waltz."

Those guys would cross styles like crazy, Lawrence Welk and his accordion-based polka and waltz band might end up playing some "Western Swing" or big band stuff. A lot of piano and fiddle combinations.

Usually a very warm sound on radio thanks to the mikes and tube transmitters of the day. I actually played some material on it and at other times listened to friends playing a live studio gig.

"Live," there sometimes would be a tube PA for the mike in the later years of that decade through the 1950s, but mostly even in the dance halls, large and small, it was just acoustic for most instruments although the fiddler on occasion would come up to the mike. As the 50s went on, more and more folks had various sorts of tube PAs. The speakers tended to be horrid things stolen <grin> from the console radios that had gone out of style when replaced by televisions.

m

Hi Milo, cheers! That is interesting...

These may interest you too, they are restored colour pics from the depression. Thanks to my mum and dads friend Rita from the States who shared these

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/2363/comment-page-19/

Matt

Matt...

In ways, many of the pix simply reminded me of my childhood. The early pre television 1950s were in ways somewhat similar in lifestyle to the 1930s. As money and television and new streets and air conditioning came into play, the world changed. And Rock and Roll happened, rebels without a cause and... <grin> in a few years, transistor radios and televisions with color screens and no tubes inside.

m

Archived