Gibson Brands Forums

For you Beatles fans

NeoConMan

I just ordered the Peter Doggett book from the library.

Another great "behind the scenes" book on the Beatles is:

Here, there, and everywhere : my life recording the music of the Beatles / Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey.

New York, N.Y. : Gotham Books, c2006.

I just ordered the Peter Doggett book from the library.

Another great "behind the scenes" book on the Beatles is:

Here, there, and everywhere : my life recording the music of the Beatles / Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey.

New York, N.Y. : Gotham Books, c2006.

Yeah good read also and clear incite into the studio and how they as a team (Martin, Emerick, and the Beatles) stretched the boundaries of what was possible in recording context.

If they wanted things to sound a certain way, a voice or a guitar note, they just improvised or invented the effect themselves.

There were no vast array of foot effects pedals back in the day.msp_thumbup.gif

here ya go....

• The Beatles first recorded it on 6 June 1962 with Pete Best on drums, as part of their audition at EMI Studios at 3 Abbey Road, London. This version (previously thought to be lost) is available on Anthology 1.
  • By 4 September, Best had been replaced with Ringo Starr (producer George Martin did not approve of Best's drumming; the decision to fire Best was not his however), and on that day the Beatles with Starr recorded a version again at EMI Studios.
  • One week later, on 11 September, the Beatles returned to the same studio and they made a recording of "Love Me Do" with session drummer Andy White on drums, as Martin was unhappy with Starr's performance on 4 September and he was relegated to playing tambourine. As the tambourine was not included on the 4 September recording, this is the easiest way to distinguish between the Starr and White recordings.

I was close. Tambourine, and they cut it!! [lol]

Archived