Gibson Brands Forums

Please Help Identify This LG-0

jscheelar

I am considering getting this guitar in a trade, but am a little cautious as to some of the abnormalities. First, he says it is a 1967 LG-0, he said the serial is hard to read but that what his best estimate. Also, there have been two professional repairs done to include the headstock and a crack shown in the pictures. I have never seen a headstock badge that says LG-0 before and couldn't find one online. The other head mystery is that it is not black like all the ones I have seen. The third is the "non" screw-on pick guard which I understand can be easily done. I am trying to see if this is just a frankenstein LG-0, a rare one, or a completely different model. Thanks for your help!!

post-30638-007608200 1297291562_thumb.jpg

I am considering getting this guitar in a trade, but am a little cautious as to some of the abnormalities. First, he says it is a 1967 LG-0, he said the serial is hard to read but that what his best estimate. Also, there have been two professional repairs done to include the headstock and a crack shown in the pictures. I have never seen a headstock badge that says LG-0 before and couldn't find one online. The other head mystery is that it is not black like all the ones I have seen. The third is the "non" screw-on pick guard which I understand can be easily done. I am trying to see if this is just a frankenstein LG-0, a rare one, or a completely different model. Thanks for your help!!

Also, can't quite figure out how to attach new pics as I am new to this forum!!

They dropped the black headstock overlay on many models in '69 or so. In the later days of the LG-0 they had the potential to be erratic in their construction. I've seen the LG-0 truss rod cover and I do associate it with later models but never noticed exactly what period.

It's definitely not a '67. Probably '69 or newer.

Yeah, and in the 70s they DID actually use some 3 screw TRCs. Something funky about how they routed for the truss rod nut made it impossible to use a 2-screw cover. I think it was a tooling goof and they used some 3 screw covers to cover the goof.

I was a teen in the 70s.... trust me, there were a lot of goofs.

Archived