Gibson Brands Forums

gibson electronics

custom clive

I have two nice Gibson acoustics among my stringed treasures one with "sound hole "electrics (J165 no cutaway) and a super200 with no electrics ,best left this way I reckon but I get more and more concerned with Gibsons habit of putting these electronic square plastic (knobs & all)pickup systems right in the upper bout outside the guitar, I think it spoils some lovely instruments,especially the ec165 that would be unspoiled with a sound hole set up! is it just me or does it bother anyone else? :-k

I completely agree....I don't want the bridge to the Starship Enterprise stuck on the side of my beautiful guitars. I personally have only installed the K&K mini pick ups in my guitars .... only mod is the end pin jack, but even that can be avoided as they offer a 1/8" jack and plug option.

I have two nice Gibson acoustics among my stringed treasures one with "sound hole "electrics (J165 no cutaway) and a super200 with no electrics ,best left this way I reckon but I get more and more concerned with Gibsons habit of putting these electronic square plastic (knobs & all)pickup systems right in the upper bout outside the guitar, I think it spoils some lovely instruments,especially the ec165 that would be unspoiled with a sound hole set up! is it just me or does it bother anyone else? :-k

I totally agree! Methinks I'd love to have a J-185, but that nasty carve-out in the beautiful wood would, I do believe, make me nuts (well, nuts-er, anyway).

The soundhole controls seem like the way to go; do you like yours? I have the active UST in my J-100xtra, so I use the Baggs DI when I'm allowed to play out in public. Maybe not as convenient as fingertip control at the soundhole, but WAY better than plastic junk sitting between me and that beautiful thang. (That'd be like holding a newborn, who you want to love but just can't...because of that gang tat on its forehead![scared] )

Archived