Gibson Brands Forums

Reversing a saddle to gain space for movement during intonation

davidl

I have to be honest.

It plays like a dream and sounds awesome.

In a way it plays possibly better around the 9 to 14th fret on the G string which happens to be a place I frequent. Bends are really comfortable.

I think I'll still have a new saddle cut but I'm not in any hurry just yet. I'll work it for a little while and decide later.

Intonation is a breeze.

Dave

You woulda thought the tech would have notched the saddle after he reversed it. How difficult would that be? He wants you to try it out and see how it works? And then if you're not happy, then he'll order some saddles? Yikes. Heaven forbid he should have to stock some $1.50 saddles or know how to notch a saddle.

You woulda thought the tech would have notched the saddle after he reversed it. How difficult would that be? He wants you to try it out and see how it works? And then if you're not happy, then he'll order some saddles? Yikes. Heaven forbid he should have to stock some $1.50 saddles or know how to notch a saddle.

I thought the tech's response was pretty lame too.

He took the quick and easy way out this time. He'll take care of it though. Like I mentioned earlier, he did some excellent work on my MIJ Les Paul. Very meticulous. I know he has been pressured to speed some things up by the boss as told to me by one of the managers. One of his "faults" is that he is a perfectionist I was told.

I'm tempted to just notch it myself but I risk voiding the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't read all of posts so please forgive me if I'm being redundant. The ABR-1 has a several issues, one being adjustment studs that are too soft and too short. These can cause the bridge to tip over towards the nut, making intonation difficult if not impossible on some strings, even with a saddle flip & re-notch. A time-honored fix is to replace the studs with longer stainless steel studs of the same size & thread pitch. These will stand up straight and eliminate the bridge "tip-over". In many if not most cases this will permit enough adjustment to get all the strings intonated, and, you'll get better tone transfer to the top.

Loosen the strings & remove the tailpiece. Lift off the bridge. Remove the factory studs by doubling the thumb wheels and unscrewing them from the top. Use some 2" stainless screws with the heads removed, or if you're lucky to find it, some 2" pieces of stainless All Thread. Carefully run the new screws in until they bottom out in the body. Put on the thumb wheels and reinstall the bridge, strings & tailpiece. Adjust string height and tune to pitch. Mark any excess stud above the bridge, take everything back off and cut off the excess with a Dremel wheel, etc. Dress the stud end. Reassemble the whole shebang and voila, better tone, intonation, etc.

If you don't mind the look, add a second set of thumbwheels tightened right to the top. This is an old trick I learned about years ago, and if you look at old photos of some great players you'll see their guitars set up this way.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I tried to like it the way it came out of the shop but I brought it back in yesterday.

They will make it right whatever it takes.

The guitar still played well and sounded great but I couldn't get past the odd string spacing. It drove me nuts just to look at it.

I'm looking forward to getting it back and falling in love all over again.

This was a real disappointment because this particular guitar really grabbed me the first time I tried it in the store. It just felt so right.

My Les Pauls have been getting a pretty good workout though. All is not lost.

Well I tried to like it the way it came out of the shop but I brought it back in yesterday.

They will make it right whatever it takes.

The guitar still played well and sounded great but I couldn't get past the odd string spacing. It drove me nuts just to look at it.

I'm looking forward to getting it back and falling in love all over again.

This was a real disappointment because this particular guitar really grabbed me the first time I tried it in the store. It just felt so right.

My Les Pauls have been getting a pretty good workout though. All is not lost.

Got it back Friday. Its perfect. New saddle installed.

A good ending to a pain in the a$$ situation.

Archived