Gibson Brands Forums

Third Fret Inlay peeling off!!!

Alouf

• 3 weeks later...

I'd apply some wax around the raised side of the inlay, but only on the fretboard. Once I have a lot of wax on the wood, I would use the thinnest super glue I could find (almost any fresh bottle) and let it run under the inlay and quickly press and hold the inlay down for about a minute. :) take a razor blade and scrape off the wax, and smooth out the inlay's edge if it is still a little high with sandpaper. Then I would buff the fretboard with 0000 Steel wool.

Send crappy workmanship back to the factory and make them pay to fix it. Make sure you have them pay for the shipping, too.

Or fix it yourself and let them think that it doesn't matter.

Although disturbing, this may not be a big enough issue to send the guitar back to Gibson (even though technically they should pay for the fix). Doing that carries some risk and you'll not have your guitar for quite some time. If I were you, I'd document the problem with photographs and contact Gibson to report the problem - tell them you're very unhappy with this. They should be made aware that there is a quality issue. However, you should tell them you'd like to take this to a Gibson-approved luthier (guitar repair shop) in your area; I did that for my GOR and got a shop in San Francisco that was excellent. If you are the first owner, your luthier may be able to fix it all under warranty and the cost will be zero or close to it. I was the second owner and still paid a fraction of the cost for multiple tuner replacement. Try it before you attempt to repair it yourself - if you botch the job, it will be that much more difficult to recover the costs.

Archived