Gibson Brands Forums

A Tribute to Gary Moore...

guitargreg1993

Hey everyone, so every year my school has something called Street Scenes, where the school is basically turned into a giant place for entertainment to raise money for the school. There's live bands, shows, food, etc. Every year we (the students) decorate the halls... So this year, I decided to make a tribute to one of my heroes that recently passed, Gary Moore. Over the past 2 days, I spent a total of just over 10 hours working hard on this... Yesterday I spent 6 hours and only finished about 60% of it, so I was a little worried today that I wouldn't be able to finish before 1 p.m. (which was when I had to leave for the dentist) but I worked extra hard and was able to finish!! It's not perfect by any means, but I am extremely proud of both the finished product and the amount of hard work I put into it. I feel it is a fitting tribute to the man and legend. If at least a few people can appreciate it the way I appreciated and enjoyed his music, then my goal will be accomplished [thumbup]

Here it is!! Enjoy [biggrin]

DSC01114.jpg

Some details...

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

One of my main goals/focuses was that I wanted to really capture the emotion in Gary's face (which I believe is one of his signature/unique aspects of his playing style)... Given the limited amount of colors I had to work with, I think I did a half-way decent job of capturing the essence, and I'm pretty proud of the emotion I was able to show in his face [thumbup]

DSC01120.jpg

Here is me standing by my work [biggrin]

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

And this is the original picture I was basing the artwork off of:

garymoore-live-pite_havsbad.jpg

I hope y'all enjoy this. I thought it was a fitting tribute to Mr. Moore, and I hope y'all do too.

R.I.P. Gary Moore (1952-2011). Your memory and music will live on forever...

Thats awesome dude! Very nice job. [biggrin]

Does anyone else know who he is? [lol]

yes actually hahaha... my buddy that was in one of the bands performing is a pretty big Gary Moore fan as well and he loved it! Other than that though I'm not sure if anyone knew... probably not many (if any people at all) cuz most kids around my area are the type that listens to Lady Gag, Justin Queeber, Ke$hita, etc.

Nice job there! You look like you could be the bouncer here at the lounge. You can kick someone's butt who messes with dem00n......... Or me [crying]

[lol]

hahaha me?? nahhh... thanks for the compliment [thumbup] but unfortunately I'm about 5'7", 195 lbs (i should be at 145ish though)... I'd need to grow about a half a foot and turn my 195 into pure muscle. THEN i'd be a decent bouncer lol [biggrin]

That's a fantastic tribute to a great player.

I think you did a great job regardless of the constraints of time and available colours.

And I'm sure if Gary is looking down to see your work he'd give it a very big [thumbup].

What is going to happen to it afterwards?

If it's only a temorary display for the period of the festival then I'm delighted you got some good photo's of it when it was in place.

Wonderful stuff.

=D> =D> =D>

P.

yes actually hahaha... my buddy that was in one of the bands performing is a pretty big Gary Moore fan as well and he loved it! Other than that though I'm not sure if anyone knew... probably not many (if any people at all) cuz most kids around my area are the type that listens to Lady Gag, Justin Queeber, Ke$hita, etc.

Justin... Beiber?

ke$ha

I was amused

That's a fantastic tribute to a great player.

I think you did a great job regardless of the constraints of time and available colours.

And I'm sure if Gary is looking down to see your work he'd give it a very big [thumbup].

What is going to happen to it afterwards?

If it's only a temorary display for the period of the festival then I'm delighted you got some good photo's of it when it was in place.

Wonderful stuff.

=D> =D> =D>

P.

thanks man!! last night was the "adult night", and my parents went with some of their friends. luckily, after it was over they were able to take it off the wall completely intact before the cleanup crews would've taken it down and thrown it away this morning along with the rest of the art on the walls [thumbup]

hey everyone, i forgot to do this earlier but here are some pics of the progress over the 10 & 1/2 hours of work!!

After about 2 hours, all done with the drawing and starting with the taping/putting tissue paper on...

DSC01107.jpg

After about 4 hours, all finished with the stage lights and Gary's face

DSC01108.jpg

After 6 hours; this is the point where I had to stop for the day. I had most of Gary's shirt done, and only had the rest of the shirt and his guitar left to do, but I was still a little worried since I only had about 60% finished at that point... [unsure] I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish within a few more hours the next day, but i was determined to do it!!

DSC01110.jpg

After about 8.5/9 hours (almost 3 hours into the 2nd day), I had the body of the Les Paul finished, and only had the fretboard and headstock to go... [thumbup]

DSC01111.jpg

10.5 hours in, I was almost done!! The hard part was all done, and now I just had to write in the words and such with a Sharpie and I would be all finished!! [biggrin]

DSC01112.jpg

now how about a gary moore cover played on the new amp [biggrin]

actually that's funny you should mention that because for the last 3 or so weeks I've been learning bits and pieces to "Still Got the Blues"... I definitely won't be doing the song any justice whatsoever, but I'll give it a shot maybe in a few weeks or so [thumbup]

damn good job man! i can't say enough what i think about that, but i'll try. you mention there my be only one other at your school who knows who he is, but that ain't the point. it is how many know now, because of what you did. music is a funny thing-the passing of time and such. music does not live on when no one listens to it anymore. it is those that love it and have a passion for it that passes it on to those after, and without that, the music dies. blues, and the music that gary moore loved and played is an american artform. this lives inside us, it moves us, and it is that which is alive, that we can then share. and we share by not just knowing, we share by playing, by listening, by playing records and cd's to each other and by doing artwork for display as you have done. those are hours well spent.

now, for doing gary moore justice? you playing his music IS doing him justice. music is not owned. that music of his that you love, that's YOUR music. he gave it to you (us) and now it is yours. you do it justice by doing that.

Archived