Gibson Brands Forums

Pulled The Trigger. ES-339.

Murph

I just ordered an antique vintage burst. Upgraded to 2nd day air, it's Tues eve., 6:30 central. Hoping for Fri. It goes to work Sat. night in Paducah Ky.

Thanks to all in this, what seems like a year, ordeal.

Best of luck.

Murph.

To be honest........

I wanted an ES-335, but hated the hugeness, and the extra $600.00, actually $1000.00 for the Custom. I also wanted a Les Paul.

It was you idiots, your pictures, your constant praise, braggin', bleatin', howlin', yappin'.

Thanks!

Is it Friday?

Murph.

Good old red. yes. Even though they were grown up 335's, my heros played red Gibsons - Chuck and Eric mostly but the list goes on. OK here's the point of the story. The Clapton Crossroads guitar, the '63 reissue, the Custom shop one-off's, and the production 335's are either Antique Cherry, Faded Cherry, or Vintage Cherry. Mine's just friggin RED.

Wily, I used Musicians Friend, paid $1799.00 plus bumped it to 2nd day air.

A lot of forum members here don't like Musicians Friend, but I live over 2 hours drive, one way, to Opry Mills, and the closest Gibson dealer is not an option, (another Story) and still an hour drive one way. I've been buying from them for well over 15 years, bought my Gibson J-45 RW from them, and have never had a problem.

Is it Friday?

D-oh. Understand the frustration. I got mine from Guitarsale.com, overnight delivery UPS Friday right before a holiday weekend. They bumped it to "Saturday delivery." Saturday morning comes, I haven't slept much, and the kids are anxious to go away for the weekend. Car is packed, pillows and all. Obviously we can't leave until the UPS truck arrives. Running some errands in the morning and I see the big brown truck going the other way on my cross street. That wasn't the one. Check online for the fiftieth time and it is indeed "out for delivery" on a truck from the local hub. Wasn't until about 1:00 that the driver arrives, with an apology since something happened to the original truck and they had to reload.

He drops this huge unlabeled box on my doorstep (the Gibson box is inside, the outer box says nothing by my address and "saturday delivery" - not even "fragile"!). The kids were so happy that he'd gotten there (nothing to do with what was in the box, they were anxious to get to their aunt and uncle's house) that they let up such a howl that the guy must've thought he was delivering a trampoline or something. They explained that it was a toy for Daddy. I packed it with me for the weekend and played it for real while the kids did the Guitar Hero Wi thing. And yes, Sunshine of Your Love is one of the tracks on that game. Sounded so good the computer still gave me points.

Did I mention that it's red?

Yea, it's been a long weekend. I'd hoped to get it Fri., restring it Sat, set it up, and gig it Sat night. No big deal, I used my old Tele.

Actually this will give me all week with it now to set it up, get re-adjusted to the shorter scale, and see how much trouble I'm going to have standing in front of my Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 1;12 combo sitting on it's flight case.

I've been a bit concerned about feedback with the semi hollow design. The Blue Angel is not a hi gain amp, just volume, bass, mid, high, and reverb with several tube choices. I use a tube screamer if I need a little dirt, and crank the amp if I need some more. But some smaller clubs have short (depth) stages and I'm very close to it at times.

Oh yeah, It's being shipped to my day job, because my wife works nights and I didn't want it left on the porch while she was asleep.

So I'll have to look at it for about 5 hours before I can take it home!

Sheeze.

... and see how much trouble I'm going to have standing in front of my Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 1;12 combo sitting on it's flight case. I've been a bit concerned about feedback with the semi hollow design.

Based on my experience, I have a pretty good feeling you're not going to have any problems.

Got it!

Been tuning, adjusting, and inspecting the last few hours, then played it a bit through my Fender Prosonic combo. The Blue Angel is in the flight case and I was in a hurry.

Spot on PERFECT. This guitar doesn't have a flaw. Binding, harmonics, (I barely touched the intonation) fretboard grain, even the bridge height was nearly spot on. That board won't be dry for long with me smearing my fingers all over it.

I'm not big into doing pictures, it's a freakin Antique Vintage Burst, but I am wondering about that neck pickup. It sounds fine. But....

Why is it sitting at such a strange angle?

Is this by design so it's not overly bassy?

I've only spent about a 1/2 hour with it in the Prosonic, and it sounds fine, it just LOOKS weird. To me.

Feels great with a strap, hits hard with the cascading gain on the Prosonic, looks FAB, and I LOVE IT.

Oh yea, and how do you read the Custom Shop serial #'s?

You guys are all right. This IS a very special guitar. I see it getting a lot of use. I'll try to learn how to do pictures soon, I'm an old (50) man and just play bars, drink beer, kill deer, and build stuff.

Thanks to all.

And thanks to Gibson for this fine guitar.

Murph.

You guys are all right. This IS a very special guitar. I see it getting a lot of use. I'll try to learn how to do pictures soon.

You think you like it now' date=' wait a couple of months.[img']http://forums.gibson.com/images/emoticons/eusa_dance.gif[/img]

As far as pics, go here - 2nd post down...

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3054&p=2

Congrats.

The neck pickup really isn't at such a bad angle compared to some other archtops. Rather than trying to bend the ears or sand down the bottom of the mounting ring to get it to sit parallel to the strings, I just raised the screw polepieces slightly (with the middle ones raised a little more to follow the fretboard radius) and when you fret the strings they seem to be parallel to the top of the pickup now.

I got the 30/60. I've been playing a 91 American Tele for the last few years, coming from a 79 SG and a 96 Strat. I'm still pretty fast for an old bastardd and love it.

I swear I'll do pic's when I get time, I'm working extra day stuff, and gigging, and have a kid, and a wife that works, and 30 acres with a hunting cabin, and an old house with 2 lots, and 3 Shar Pei's and am very spread out lately.

It's first gig is tomorrow night. Fresh strings (it's an '07 which is cool, first year) I barely had to touch the intonation on the G string, even liked the bridge height. Might even raise it a tad.

I really can't imagine this not being a VERY popular guitar.

Best to ya'll.

Murph.

• 2 weeks later...

How did the first gig go with that new guitar? (Oh, and it's time we nagged you for pictures).

I had a rare chance to get outside the house to play, to sit in with some far more talented musicians than I, at a very nice little joint, and during a break I noticed some lady was taking pictures of one of my guitars! Not the quilt-top burst Tele with the tortoise pickguard and pearl initials on the fingerboard, but the red Gibson.

Archived