Gibson Brands Forums

Your Everyday Amp

Rocky4

deluxe reverb and victorilux running at 18 watts. i had, before the folks at public storage sold (stole) my amp collection, everything from 100 watt marshall to twins to vibrolux, etc..and i could never use a high watt amp at a gig properly because they are just too loud. i would crank them on occasion so i could hear their glory.

the only time i would use them at home is to tube swap or just to hear thier beaty, so it would often be the same amps i would play a gig with. oh, and back in the day i also kept an amp and guitar in the trunk of the caddy so i was always ready...usually something less valueable in the case it got stolen that could be replaced.

i have a little national (same as a early champ) that i could crank at home but i never do. maybe its time, eh?

My amp is 10W solid state. It has a line out, so hypothetically I could run it straight into the PA.

I'm comfortable enough with the sound of it that I would be OK with using it at a gig. I'd rather use a nice tube amp, but if I had to use my current amp I would be fine with it. I'd be happy enough to get a gig, period.

I have 2 everyday amps - downstairs I have a Marshall 6100, 30th Anniversary, 100w head and a Marshall 2 x 12. It switches down to 50w, but there is not that much difference in overall volume....at least to my battered ear-drums. Upstairs I have a Fender '59 Bassman re-issue. When I can be bothered, I drag them both into the studio and set them up in stereo, splitting the signal through my pedal board and getting some wide stereo chorus and delay going on.

My amp is 10W solid state. It has a line out, so hypothetically I could run it straight into the PA.

I'm comfortable enough with the sound of it that I would be OK with using it at a gig. I'd rather use a nice tube amp, but if I had to use my current amp I would be fine with it. I'd be happy enough to get a gig, period.

what kind of gig you hoping to get? what have you done to try and get a gig? while more often than not, poeple will tell you you have to get a killer great amp to gig with but not everyone can afford such luxeries, and we have to use what we can get. still, perhaps it is the lack of an amp that is preventing your gigging. can we help?

My "everyday" amp, is my old (and trustworthy) '82 Fender (Japan)

Solid State 1X12 "Sidekick" 35 Reverb. Plenty loud, and will shake the

house and rattle the windows, if I want it to. I gig, though, with

a Blues Jr., HR Deluxe, or Twin Reverb...depending on venue. Just don't

want to waste "tube hours," on everyday practice, or jamming. Have to

admit, though...I'm pretty intrigued, with those new Fender Mustang amps.

Will, definitely, check them out, next time I'm in the city!

CB

what kind of gig you hoping to get? what have you done to try and get a gig? while more often than not, poeple will tell you you have to get a killer great amp to gig with but not everyone can afford such luxeries, and we have to use what we can get. still, perhaps it is the lack of an amp that is preventing your gigging. can we help?

Well, right now it's actually that I don't have an act together for a gig. I have a few people back home (I live in New York and go to school in Maryland, at a distance of roughly 180 miles) as potential bandmates, and we could potentially have an act worked out within a matter of months, but honestly it's because I haven't looked for a gig. Oh, I could do solo acoustic shows--I have seen places with "open-mic" deals, and local places looking for acts, and I've done some busking back home--but honestly, I haven't gotten a gig because I haven't looked for 'em, and because I'm not really gig-ready at the moment. Sorry if that wasn't clear before. [thumbup]

No easy answer for that in my case, so I went with the 5-15 watt option.

I have a 15 watt Tiny Terror in the living room and a 12 watt Princeton

in the bedroom. I use them a lot. In my little studio/man cave I have a

18 watt Marshall, a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb, an 8 watt Uber Champ and a 15

watt Epiphone Electra. They all get regular use. I guess if it was a

"you can only plug into one amp" deal, I'd go with the 18 watt Marshall.

It seems to do it all.

Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 with 60 watts.

WAY more than enough.

I play louder in my house than I ever have at a gig. [thumbup]

I have a 15 watt Blues Junior, but it just doesn't have the balls to do power chord stuff down low.

That being being said, I haven't ran my Fulltone OCD pedal into it yet.

Who knows - it might make it bark enough to do the riffs I like at a decent volume.

2636099679_5aed572ce8_z.jpg

Don't even ask about the Marshall - it's fxcking INSANE inside a house. [scared]=; B)

Hmmm, this is a tough 1 for me because most of time I don't use an "amp" at home. I use a JBL powered speaker with my line 6 x3 live floor board. About 15% of the time I will use my 30 watt Peavey or my 60 watt Marshall. I mainly use the JBL because I like to play with tones from the x3 live, and don't want to wear out my tubes by using them every day. The JBL puts out 450 watts, but I turn it low and still get some nice tones.

I have 2 amps in my living room for every day use and the rest reside in my music room.My usual day to day amp is my 15W Fender Blues JR. but when the mood hits me to get a bit loud or when the Missus goes out I use my Marshall 4210 JCM 800 50W combo.

So whats a everyday amp? ve been selling guitars over the last year or so but haven't sold many amps yet so my list would include the following. I guess if I added the all together and then divided Id be pretty close to 20 watts without the L1 and 50 or 55 with it included.

Playing wise I'm usually on the Marshall 18watt 74 or the Fender 57 Limited at 12 watts. My personal favorites are the handwired Carr RAleigh at 3 watts and the DaaB Tupelo Honey which cranks at 30 Watts but has a built in attenuator.

Looks like it's really time for a amp sale.

1. Egnater Rebel and two cabs 1-20 watt

2. BlackHeart Killer Ant and single cab 1 watt

3. Epiphone Valve Junior head (heavy mods) and single cab 5 watt

4. Soladano SLO100 – 100 Watt Head with (2) 4x12 cabs

5. Songworks – Little Lanilei ¼ Watt

6. Marshall -18 watt handwired (1974)

7. ZVEX – Nano Amp Head ½ watt ZT lunchbox cab

8. Fender – Gdec executive 15 watt and a killer burst wood cabinet

9. Fender 57 – limited edition (2008) (12 watts)

10. Fender Champ – heavy mods 5 watt

11. Vox – AC30 30 watts

12. Pignose – mini whatever that I’ve had forever 5 watt

13. Carr - Raleigh (3 watts)

14. Gibson GA20RVT 15 watt

15. Vox – Night Train head and matching cab 15 watt

16. Vox - Mini Night Train head 2 watt

17. Daab - Tupelo Honey (30 watts )

18. Trainwreck (SOLD – what was I thinking)

19. Line 6 Spider 30 30 watt

20. Crate CA 15 Taxi Amp Battery powered 15 watt

21. Roland Cube 30 30 watt

22. Roland AC 33 Acoustic Amp 30 watts

23. Bose L1 PA guitar amp system Original model I - 750 watts divided

Also Have the 11Rack amp emulator from Digidesign which models another 20+ amps.

So whats a everyday amp? ve been selling guitars over the last year or so but haven't sold many amps yet so my list would include the following. I guess if I added the all together and then divided Id be pretty close to 20 watts without the L1 and 50 or 55 with it included.

Playing wise I'm usually on the Marshall 18watt 74 or the Fender 57 Limited at 12 watts. My personal favorites are the handwired Carr RAleigh at 3 watts and the DaaB Tupelo Honey which cranks at 30 Watts but has a built in attenuator.

11. Vox – AC30 30 watts

Also Have the 11Rack amp emulator from Digidesign which models another 20+ amps.

You might be a hoarder if......

11. Vox – AC30 30 watts

And a partridge in a pear tree. :-)

Archived