Gibson Brands Forums

cafe gig #7

onewilyfool

I'm writing down these words, as they are fresh in my mind, following todays gig. All was well today, one new wrinkle is my wife attended today, and was a great support for me. Started out slowly, but then a lot of people came and many gave me a lot of positive feedback, with "thanks" and "I'm glad you are here" kind of stuff. So quite joyful to play today. A couple of things:

1. I just got the acrylic nails on my picking hand filled yesterday, and because of a crack in the real nail on my ring finger, I had to file all of them down to make them even. Today I had to use a little more "flesh" of the finger tips than I'm used to ( now a little tender) and the "feel" of the guitar was WAY different, making it a little challenging today....lol

2. Today I had several "moments" where I consciously slowed down and "relaxed" into the song, staying fully present, and really enjoying the process of singing. I know GG was writing about "timing" in one of her posts, and I understand what she is talking about, but today, timing was not even in my mind, but only the feel of the song and how I relaxed into it. I'm sure a metronome would have shown me WAY off, but I was enjoying it and the listeners were enjoying it, so all in all, a great experience.

3. I have not been playing a lot this last two weeks since my last "gig"...lol....so today I forgot some of the words to songs I thought I had down pat (I thought!!), so showed me that I still need to keep practicing the songs I know, to keep current. The phrase "use it or loose it" comes to mind. However this was not a real big deal, but just something to be aware of.

4. Once again, I did not run out of songs for 1 1/2 hours of playing (repeating a few), but when wrapping up and leaving, about 5 songs came to mind, that I couldn't remember during the set. I should probably write down that set list...lol....but no big deal anyway....

All in all....another good experience!! Thanks for YOUR support!!!

2. Today I had several "moments" where I consciously slowed down and "relaxed" into the song, staying fully present, and really enjoying the process of singing. I know GG was writing about "timing" in one of her posts, and I understand what she is talking about, but today, timing was not even in my mind, but only the feel of the song and how I relaxed into it. .

To me, these moments are the essence of why some of us just have to go out and do this crazy/wonderful thing.

Staying present sets the stage for that unmistakably magical space to open up for singer and listener. And relaxing into the feel of the song is its own art and helps create, I think, that Great Connection we humans are always hankering for.

Good for you, and thanks for sharing!

Nice one Wily !

Yes, realaxing into the song is a gret experience when achieved. After few months gigging im still waiting to really get into this moment on a regular basis. Generally im still too 'focused' on not stuffing up a track enough to relax and really get into it, and feel it totally. On a couple im there like behind blue eyes and personal juesus but they are in the minority.

Looking forward to both of us relaxing more in our coming gigs !

Keep em' comin'.

cheers.

Mark

I'm writing down these words, as they are fresh in my mind, following todays gig. All was well today, one new wrinkle is my wife attended today, and was a great support for me. Started out slowly, but then a lot of people came and many gave me a lot of positive feedback, with "thanks" and "I'm glad you are here" kind of stuff. So quite joyful to play today. A couple of things:

1. I just got the acrylic nails on my picking hand filled yesterday, and because of a crack in the real nail on my ring finger, I had to file all of them down to make them even. Today I had to use a little more "flesh" of the finger tips than I'm used to ( now a little tender) and the "feel" of the guitar was WAY different, making it a little challenging today....lol

2. Today I had several "moments" where I consciously slowed down and "relaxed" into the song, staying fully present, and really enjoying the process of singing. I know GG was writing about "timing" in one of her posts, and I understand what she is talking about, but today, timing was not even in my mind, but only the feel of the song and how I relaxed into it. I'm sure a metronome would have shown me WAY off, but I was enjoying it and the listeners were enjoying it, so all in all, a great experience.

3. I have not been playing a lot this last two weeks since my last "gig"...lol....so today I forgot some of the words to songs I thought I had down pat (I thought!!), so showed me that I still need to keep practicing the songs I know, to keep current. The phrase "use it or loose it" comes to mind. However this was not a real big deal, but just something to be aware of.

4. Once again, I did not run out of songs for 1 1/2 hours of playing (repeating a few), but when wrapping up and leaving, about 5 songs came to mind, that I couldn't remember during the set. I should probably write down that set list...lol....but no big deal anyway....

All in all....another good experience!! Thanks for YOUR support!!!

Anna, you owe me $2, I just plussed you msp_flapper.gif

Wily,

I really want a regular cafe/restaurant gig! One of our resolutions (my wife and I) was to by the end of the year get a gypsy jazz set together.

I haven't played in a restaurant for about 12 years but I remember most didn't to pay a lot or pay at all!!!!

What are the arrangements with this guy?

Matt

Anna, you owe me $2, I just plussed you msp_flapper.gif

Wily,

I really want a regular cafe/restaurant gig! One of our resolutions (my wife and I) was to by the end of the year get a gypsy jazz set together.

I haven't played in a restaurant for about 12 years but I remember most didn't to pay a lot or pay at all!!!!

What are the arrangements with this guy?

Matt

Well, Mathew...I'm basically a hobby player, not a pro like you and others.....so basically I play for happy faces, AND I usually get a free coffee and pastry out of it....lol. I don't put up a tip jar or leave my case open, just play for fun.To me it's amazing how some days one song really connects with the listeners, and on other days, it just falls flat....lol....so the listeners are very important too, as I've found out. I started playing "Georgia on my mind" today just as one of the people (who had moved up earlier to be closer to the music) was just leaving.....she stopped when she heard the song start, and then sat down exclaiming that it was one of her favorites!! After the song she said, " Thanks and I want you to know that I missed the start of my boy's soccer game to hear that song...."....lol....that kind of made my day!

[thumbup]

Let me know when you're ready for "Vegas.

Stay focused and relax and have fun.

Don Carlos....I don't think I will EVER be ready for vegas...oR will Vegas be ready for me!!!.....However, I did sing TWO Elvis songs today to good reviews....lol...That may be as close as I get....

Look at ya, now! A giggin' guitar playa! Do it,Brother! =D>=D>=D>

\

Larry...thanks, but as I read your words...I haven't accepted that label yet....lol.....but in a way, I've got a few of these under my belt, so am feeling a little more comfortable about it....Thanks for your support

Archived