Gibson Brands Forums

Pick -up cover removal

morecowbell!

All you://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][/url] are other forums, nothing concrete. The real test would be a blind one. Just like the gas vs charcoal debate. Everybody says charcoal is the way to go. Food network had a blind taste test. Gas won. With a blind cover on vs off test, I would bet most people can't tell the difference.

You would think, in the 21th century, there have been tests done, even 10-15 years ago...

Computers and all..

It always seems to come down to

smiley-eatdrink014.gif or smiley-eatdrink017.gif

Try digging, brushing, or blowing the lint/dust/whatever out of the windings of unprotected pickups.

Then try getting the pickup to work after you've damaged one of those tiny little wires...

[cursing]

That's all it took for me to make sure every pickup I own is PROTECTED by a cover.

How good does a pickup sound when it's thrown in a junk drawer because somebody fxcked it up?

[blink][angry]

30 years of facts, logic, experience (and repair costs) have convinced me - not trends or fads.

Same goes for Gibsons BurstBucker 1 & 2 being unpotted (originally).

Microphonic squeal will make a believer out of you in a fraction of a second - unless you're a slow learner.

[woot]

Keeripes man! What are you doing to your guitars to need a garden weasel to clean out the pickups? [blink] I have never broken a pickup and I don't baby anything....[biggrin]

Not me... [biggrin]

But I know a couple long-time guitar guys pretty good.

Heard plenty of hard-luck stories - and the expectation that Gibson does something about it.

[rolleyes]

I've found plenty of defective pickups over the years, and was able to ID the cause of failure on a few.

Talked at length with Lindy Fralin over a few he worked on for me.

Just talking with people, looking at OLD guitars, and swapping stories - lots to learn. [thumbup]

And like I said, I've pulled lotsa dead pickups outta lotsa guitars for other people.

...And if you are not happy with the sound of your Epiphone

the best thing you could do to improve it would be to replace the pickups

entirely...

[thumbup] +1

I'd say that if you're thinking about taking the covers off, go for it. -If you still don't like the sound after that, follow Surfpup's advice. Changing pickups is a pretty easy, affordable way to change your sound. Good luck.

[blink] I have never broken a pickup and I don't baby anything....[biggrin]

Gotta agree. I removed the pickup covers from my Black Custom and gigged it for years.

Same with my pointy 80s Kramer. Hundreds of gigs - wide open pups. No problems.

I will say that covers can contribute to micro phonic feedback in high gain situations.

Made a big difference in that Custom. It was a squealer with the covers on.

I will say that covers can contribute to micro phonic feedback in high gain situations.

Made a big difference in that Custom. It was a squealer with the covers on.

This is way true. Covers can cause feedback issues. The way to fix that is to either remove the cover or "double wax pot" the pickup. This means that the pickup gets potted once with the cover off to stabilize the coils and once with the cover on to stabilize the cover.

Archived