Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to see from Epiphone?

RockRiffsRule

Hey Everyone!

I'm new here to the Gibson Guitar Board, and I'd like to start off by setting out a question that many of you might like to talk about.

What new model of guitar should Epiphone come out with, or what out-of-production model should they put back into production.

First off, we all know that the reason you're playing an Epiphone right now is probably because you can't afford a Gibson, but that doesn't mean you have to be lower class than those Gibson players!

The poll with this thread is just out of curiosity, and the thread itself should be much more vast. Just tell of a model that was once produced by Epiphone or Gibson that is no longer in production, a Gibson model that Epiphone should make a model of, or even throw out a new idea to the world on what Epiphone should make.

I'll start by saying one of each.

I think that Epiphone should put back into production the Epiphone 1963 Firebird VII. Why?, because it was a great reproduction of the original, and I hope to own one soon enough. This new Firebird Studio Epiphone has doesn't even look like a full-blooded Firebird. It looks like some cheap version of the Firebird, and we've all seen that Epiphone can do better.

As far as Gibson models that should also be made by Epiphone, I think that maybe Epiphone should look into more new-age electronics like the Gibson Robot guitars. The Les Paul Ultra II was heading in the right direction, but I don't think it was enough. Sure there are some of us out there who don't really like that Gibson is losing traditional instruments, and I am one of them, but there's always a new-age guitar player out there who want's more versatility. But if it would bring it up to the price of a Gibson, maybe Epiphone should leave that part to the big leagues.

Now on to the exciting part. A new idea for Epiphone. After considering it for a while, my idea would be to make a double-neck Les Paul just like the G-1275 only with a Les Paul single-cutaway and a carved-top. One neck would be 12-string and the other would be 6-string.

Well I guess I'd better wrap up this introduction by saying that out of all of the models Epiphone could make or remake, the Epiphone 1963 Firebird VII would be the best choice. However, the fact that one of my all-time favorites is Allen Collins might affect my decision.

Rest in peace, Allen

"Won't you fly, high, Free Bird, yeah!"

Peace to you all, my fellow rockers,

Jared Collins

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any wishes for Epiphone to make any new guitars.

But you should know that:

1) I can afford to buy a Gibson. I choose to play an Epiphone.

2) They currently make at least two LP Gold Tops that I know of: Joe Bonamassa Gold Top, and the Slash Gold Top. Each has HBs in it.

3) Allen Collins is one of my favorite guitar players.

Again, welcome to the forum, and hope you stick around and can learn as much as I have over the years.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any wishes for Epiphone to make any new guitars.

But you should know that:

1) I can afford to buy a Gibson. I choose to play an Epiphone.

2) They currently make at least two LP Gold Tops that I know of: Joe Bonamassa Gold Top, and the Slash Gold Top. Each has HBs in it.

3) Allen Collins is one of my favorite guitar players.

Again, welcome to the forum, and hope you stick around and can learn as much as I have over the years.

Haha okay well thanks for the info. I had forgotten about the Joe Bonamassa model, and I'm not really sure if they're actually still producing the Slash Gold Top. Anyway thanks. I would probably play an Epiphone instead of a Gibson too even if I could afford one.

I would purchase one or 2 of these if they were available.

I read that when they were produced as a "reissue" (1994 catalog) only 40 were made (in Japan) and they didn't sell too well. I want one so bad. When, like Plato, the "idea" of a "ideal" guitar comes into my mind. I think of this guitar.

1939EpiphoneEmperor.jpg

I play Epiphones because of the long history that the company has. I applaud any man that has the guts to start a business and put in the long hard hours required to make it work.

I can afford a Gibson but choose not to play them. That's why I had my custom Goldtop hand made by a man in his workshop, rather than by a CNC machine in a factory like the Gibson versions are.

Epiphone guitars represent a legacy left by a man and his family and that is something I pay respect to every time I pick up and play one of my guitars.

Actually, none of the above.

Someone posted a picture of a Les Pauls Signature recently,

A semi-hollow gold top. I'd like to see that. Or perhaps

another semi-hollow with neck binding and block markers.

Right now they have a Dot - no binding/no blocks. The current

Sheri doesn't do it for me. It has the binding and blocks, but

construction is no different than the Dot, which to me makes it

overpriced.

A number of friends who have played my Vintage SG G-400 with the bound neck wish they would put the binding back on the neck on the faded series they are selling now, that is the only thing keeping them from buying one so that's where my vote goes.

From the list, I voted for the double-cutaway.

And if speaking in general, and brianh, please be with me on that one, I want to see a new Genesis with covered humbuckers - damn sexy.

Theoretically, there will be a Genesis reissue later this year or early next. There were a lot of suggestions, most of which will make it look and sound more like a doublecut Les Paul. There are a lot of things that could be done to improve the original design (side-mounted jack for instance), but the more things that are done to make it look and sound like a Les Paul, the less interest I have in it. After all, if you want an LP type guitar, there are tons of options from Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, ESP, and dozens of others.

Personally, I like bigneil's goldtop doublecut w/ p-rails, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat...

168327_1379427065329_1821480400_744874_2486791_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZp4VEopcE

I would purchase one or 2 of these if they were available.

I read that when they were produced as a "reissue" (1994 catalog) only 40 were made (in Japan) and they didn't sell too well. I want one so bad. When, like Plato, the "idea" of a "ideal" guitar comes into my mind. I think of this guitar.

1939EpiphoneEmperor.jpg

hi!

i am not trying to make an advertisement for a competitor, but I have a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, and it is absolutely (!) lovely ...

yours

wolfi

Theoretically, there will be a Genesis reissue later this year or early next. There were a lot of suggestions, most of which will make it look and sound more like a doublecut Les Paul. There are a lot of things that could be done to improve the original design (side-mounted jack for instance), but the more things that are done to make it look and sound like a Les Paul, the less interest I have in it.

I'm only asking for the chrome buckers, I'd leave everything else the way it is :rolleyes: It's already perfect with all imperfections it has, and doesn't look anything like an LP to me [love] . And... a reissue? Wow. Please, Epiphone, please, do it a bit later, so I have the cash to get it.

I'm only asking for the chrome buckers, I'd leave everything else the way it is :rolleyes: It's already perfect with all imperfections it has, and doesn't look anything like an LP to me [love] . And... a reissue? Wow. Please, Epiphone, please, do it a bit later, so I have the cash to get it.

Here's the link and some forum comments: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/60835-epiphone-genesis-reissue/page__p__824972__hl__%2Bgenesis+%2Breissue__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=824972

Archived