Gibson Brands Forums

24 Frets?

BoyVader

Most Gibsons have 22 frets not 23.

There are more than 2 octaves on a guitar really.

24 frets is a nice even number but does not mean a better or necessary design.

In a Les Paul it would be useless, an SG on the other hand is cool because you can actually access and use the frets.

I was eyeballing one of those 50th anniversary models but it comes only in black...that's a no go for me.

There are a multitude of possible reasons why this is the case. I would imagine that it mostly was just a continuation of reproducing what and how earlier guitars were built and used. The guitar was never really a "Lead" instrument I would guess until maybe the 40's or 50's. It could also have something to do with tuning temperament and scale length. It could even be something as mundane as to what length wood was available or how the machines of the time could handle the material. Maybe they were using the cartoonist theory of only drawing 4 fingers instead of 5 to save time. Who knows...

I would guess more in the range that it was assumed people didn't need it thus becoming the standard and tradition that has continued on.

That's about all I got on the subject...

my gibsons have 22 frets

I think mine are the same way... 22... wait, I'm in the studio right now, I'll go count.

22 frets for both the Robot LP and the melody maker... And I'm sure the standard and the studio I sold had 22 as well.

Did Gibson rip me off? Or was it the guy at the store?

As you were...

BTW there are 2 whole octaves between the 6th and 1st string (considering you fret the same fret or leave both strings unfreted). From E (6th string fret 0) to e (1st string fret 0) there are 2 octaves... then you go from fret 0 to 12... 1 more octave, then to fret 24 (on those guitars with one of those) and you have a 4th octave.

I do miss that 24 fret on my favorite guitar (I forgot to ask the guy to build it with 24 frets) mostly because I play lots of metal and don't care to change guitars anymore, so I mainly use the one I like the best (and it's got 21 frets... )

I agree with R9. If you have 24 frets then the neck pup is closer to the bridge which gives it a more "treble" type sound. That's counter to what most Gibsons are about. There is also a lot of discussion on the harmonic "sweet spot" but I don't buy into that. The sweet spot will "move" with your finger placement and a good guitar should sound great no matter the finger placement. My PRS Custom 24 is the first 24 fret instrument I've owned. It's nice but my brain still hasn't figured where to move my fingers to the right fret in the higher register. I can do without the 24 frets but I love my PRS (they stopped making the Custom 22).

Some good ideas here...I just wikipedia 'd it, and you can get guitars with 27 frets!!! WTF... :unsure:

I think the 22nd fret is about the highest I play at the moment so no biggie for me...

I'm guessing it's a mixture of a few of the things already mentioned...history, materials, and music itself...no metal way back...do you think metal (call it what you will, shred etc) pushes the instrument? I mean also you have 7 strings?

I'm more of a blues man myself so love the BB\Albert King school of stay on one fret and bend the crap out of it for several different notes on the same fret... [flapper]

Just a quick point of order...

The difference between 22 and 24 frets is a difference of two extra notes on each string...

BUT:

In standard tuning, the 23rd and 24th frets only add two notes to the actual range of the instrument. This is because the only notes that cannot be reached without the addition of the two extra frets are the last two notes on the high E string. The "extra" notes on the other strings can all be reached on the other strings. On a 22-fret neck, you can always bend up to those two extra tones. [biggrin]

Of course, this does bring up a few questions about chord voicings, but...are you going to play an E-form barre chord in the very last position? I don't think my fingers will even fit like that... [unsure]

My best guesses about why guitars traditionally come with 22- or 21-fret necks are the same as all that have been mentioned already. Namely, practicality across the board. Most guitarists won't use frets 23 and 24. You need more material to make a 24-fret neck. Many guitar bodies don't even have reachable 22nd frets. And, of course (although this, to me, is no justification for keeping things the same as they used to be) there was a time when guitarists typically didn't play above the 12th fret.

I'm guessing it's a mixture of a few of the things already mentioned...history, materials, and music itself...no metal way back...do you think metal (call it what you will, shred etc) pushes the instrument? I mean also you have 7 strings?

The singer from one of my fav bands uses a 7 string guitar with 29 frets :blink: Yes, he gets up very high on that neck. It's a progressive metal band so there you have it.

Heri_Joensen-14604.jpg

Archived