Gibson Brands Forums

Do you ever go on 'kicks'?

Gilliangirl

I seem to be on this Neil Diamond kick lately [woot] It all started a few weeks back with Solitary Man (remember my wailing thread?) and has since got me playing a whole host of his other songs. I grew up on Neil. I remember thinking Holly Holy was the best danm song ever written when it first came out.

Anyway, it sure is fun re-visiting some of this stuff.

You go girl! =D> Neil Diamond has some monster songs under his belt. I like 'Cracklin Rose'....your a store bought woman... but you make me feel like a guitar strummin'.....You 'GOT to be wailin' and flailin' to sing his songs.... \:D/

His stuff is as timeless as 'fine wine' [thumbup]

Retrorod-- Kicks! You got there first. Saw the thread and was headed there ASAP. Good catch

GG--who doesnt? Recently sat down and read the Keith Richards bio, so had to go out and listen to my Stones tapes, which lead me to early Faces/Gasoline alley (the "good" Rod Stewart). Have also gotten caught up with Old Crow's Wagon Wheel, lsitening to all the 'sounds-like' on Pandora. Think Im pulling out of it, getting back to the blues..

The Solitary Man track amazed me. It had that certain mid60ties drive and 'reverbed' ambiance I like so much. In fact the best N.D. song I've heard.

Kicks ? Yes, I take and handle them as they come. That be some massive Pat Metheny trip or a handfull lovely Kate Rusby tunes.

The good thing about kicks - They're so immaculately real.

You go girl! =D> Neil Diamond has some monster songs under his belt. I like 'Cracklin Rose'....your a store bought woman... but you make me feel like a guitar strummin'.....You 'GOT to be wailin' and flailin' to sing his songs.... \:D/

His stuff is as timeless as 'fine wine' [thumbup]

Fine wine for sure. I think I read recently that he's been inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame? [thumbup]

Retrorod-- Kicks! You got there first. Saw the thread and was headed there ASAP. Good catch

GG--who doesnt? Recently sat down and read the Keith Richards bio, so had to go out and listen to my Stones tapes, which lead me to early Faces/Gasoline alley (the "good" Rod Stewart). Have also gotten caught up with Old Crow's Wagon Wheel, lsitening to all the 'sounds-like' on Pandora. Think Im pulling out of it, getting back to the blues..

Haha! Yup, that's how it goes for me too. One thing leads to another, then you end up re-vvsiting stuff you either had no interest in before, or are hearing it through a new set of ears now.

The Solitary Man track amazed me. It had that certain mid60ties drive and 'reverbed' ambiance I like so much. In fact the best N.D. song I've heard.

Kicks ? Yes, I take and handle them as they come. That be some massive Pat Metheny trip or a handfull lovely Kate Rusby tunes.

The good thing about kicks - They're so immaculately real.

Kicks are where it's at [thumbup] I agree on the Solitary Man song..... that and Girl You'll be A Woman Soon.... great songs. He has some amazing songs and is still rocking out today.

Isn't that a sunburst J-185?

Yeah, visions of the Paul Revere filled my head as well.

"Solitary Man" sure is a good 'un.

But yeah, I do go on jags from time to time. Last one I recall was being hooked on arranging Bessie Smith tunes - Gimme a Pig Foot & a Bottle of Beer, Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out and T'ain't Nobody's Business If I do.

I've been playing a lot of "The Band" lately. Been on this Robbie Robertson "kick". Man, what great musicians! Great songwriters!

Their stuff sounds kind of rustic, but its deceptively tricky to play. Was fiddling last week with a fingerstyle arrangement for King Harvest. Wanted to see if I could apply some of Rev. Gary's ideas. Its hard to find a key in std that works without resorting to bar chords.

I've been playing a lot of "The Band" lately. Been on this Robbie Robertson "kick". Man, what great musicians! Great songwriters!

Larry, Love Robbie R. and the Band! In the song 'The Weight'.... Is the lyrics..."Take a load off Annie" OR "Take a load of Fanny" ?

I never could get that straight in my head.. #-o[confused]

I seem to be on this Neil Diamond kick lately [woot] It all started a few weeks back with Solitary Man (remember my wailing thread?) and has since got me playing a whole host of his other songs. I grew up on Neil. I remember thinking Holly Holy was the best danm song ever written when it first came out.

Anyway, it sure is fun re-visiting some of this stuff.

I grew up on him, too...hearing the acoustic guitar in "Kentucky Woman" was a turning point. And waiting for each new (or old) album and all those great songs: Brooklyn Roads, Shiloh, Stones, I Am I Said, Play Me, Jonathan Living Seagul, Serenade (great album, still)...

Because of your Solitary Man post and news that he was being inducted into the HOF, I've had him in my car for a couple of weeks.

Sigh...thanks for the memories, spurting like popcorn now!

I enjoy 'kicks' generally on a serial basis, ie once one 'kick' has run it's course, another takes it's place...

Beatles, Stones, Weather Report, Elvis Costello, Earth Wind&Fire, The Who, The Hollies, CSN&Y, Miles Davis

Stray Cats, Ventures, Elvis Presley, Wes Montgomery....

V

Get Your Kicks On Route 66

:-({|=

Great, timely thread. I'm in the last quarter of Keef's autobiography Life (fantastic read, by the way) and I've been listening to lots of Stones tunes in the last week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y78mv4cK1CI

Lastly, I've just recently 'kicked' a Velvet Underground 'kick,' so whoever posted the Lou Reed song all I've gotta say is, "You really know how to get to a junkie!"

Archived