Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Sheraton v's elitist version & Oasis

TOTP was feb '96, Maine Road was April '96, plenty of time to get some additional inlays done before the big show.

and Leno was '98, surprised he still had it by then. you can see the main sheraton in the background. the more I see the more I'm convinced it's a straight "epiphone" on the headstock and not the script logo. Perhaps the whole story about it being a gift from Meg Matthews is bunk. It makes a lot of sense that epiphone did the sunburst, mini-hum, frequenseator-tailpiece sheraton for noel as a one off, and part of that was the gift of that exact same guitar with a union jack finish. They just lucked out that he played it on TOTP and then later made history with it at Maine road.

I don't know, in some shots the pickup covers seem to look faded whereas the rest of the hardware is still shiny gold. Of course fading is consistent with an aging epiphone.

check this out, he says he contacted the bloke who actually did the UJ paint job.

• 1 month later...

You were correct here. It looks like the 1993-1994 Nashville USA Collection Sheraton: http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Sheraton#Nashville_USA_Collection_Sheraton Of course, it's also possible that it was custom-ordered around that same time, with slight differences from the standard Nashville specs.

None of the Sheratons in question here are vintage 60's models. As RTH pointed out in post #14, there have been many many versions made since production ceased in Kalamazoo. The best place to begin when trying to identify a version is the headstock shape and design (and of course the pickups).

It's kind of amazing that a site like the one linked in post #2 (dolphinmusic), who devote themselves to identifying specific gear used by a famous player, can get it so wrong. The '63-'69 headstocks are easily distinguished from the Nashville USA or the Elitist headstocks, if one is really paying attention to details.

Someone asked about photos of original 60's Sheratons. There are dozens of images here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=11411759

Yes, so a mid 90s model it is. Dolphin really don't have a clue, though they said it wasn't a Supernova! That's a start anyway.

If you check out noel playing the sheraton at Maine Road the gold hardware is super shiny as new, if you see photos of it now it is tarnished and pitted as Epiphone gold hardare generally does after 15 or so years.

It's kind of amazing that a site like the one linked in post #2 (dolphinmusic), who devote themselves to identifying specific gear used by a famous player, can get it so wrong.

Thats was one of the biggest reasons behind creating the wiki. There is an unprecedented amount of wrong info concerning a great deal of Epiphone guitars floating around the internet. Of course, the wiki doesnt always get it right, but I try to stay on top of it when new/correct info is presented to me. Most of these other sites just ride on the info they have and leave it at that. Even Wikipedia's info is incorrect on so many levels regarding Epiphone guitars. I've even submitted corrections on their discussion pages concerning a couple different guitars (Supernove included) and it basically goes ignored.

• Upvote 2

Thats was one of the biggest reasons behind creating the wiki. There is an unprecedented amount of wrong info concerning a great deal of Epiphone guitars floating around the internet. Of course, the wiki doesnt always get it right, but I try to stay on top of it when new/correct info is presented to me. Most of these other sites just ride on the info they have and leave it at that.

+1

And doing a great job of it Rob, thanks so much for your efforts.

Does anyone know if NG ever played the UJ through any other amp than the JCM900's that was recorded? It would be interesting to hear that guitar through another medium other than one of Marshall's amps that was not up to par with the majority of their other tone machines. I much prefer the tones he gets now with the 355 and custom made Hiwatts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jubaea

These pickups are not Gibson pickups ... they look like pickups manufactured by Gibson/Epiphone for the Sheraton and Riviera Nashville USA Collection, between 93 and 94... but I could be wrong...

• 1 year later...

These pickups are not Gibson pickups ... they look like pickups manufactured by Gibson/Epiphone for the Sheraton and Riviera Nashville USA Collection, between 93 and 94... but I could be wrong...

It's a stock 1996 USA Sheraton, the only upgrade was the added inlays.

• 4 years later...

Does that suggest there was more than one union jack Sheraton or that Noel was gifted without extra inlays and had new ones added before the Maine Road gig (seems like a lot of stress and hassle for the guitar tbh but Noel had some much money he may not have cared). I'd love to know more about the specially made yellow burst epi Sheraton from Knebworth and the Be Here Now tour. As a massive Oasis fan and guitar geek I'm surprised I'd never heard it was specially made before.

• 3 years later...