Gibson Brands Forums

"Gibson Forum - The Movie"

WahKeen

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the interest of full disclosure... I am not single, and my wife of 36 years as of Valentine's Day is an excellent shot with a sidearm. <grin>

Our situation in life doesn't always let us see much of each other, though.

Seriously, I think a lot has to do with personality and such. My "mom" of nearly 50 years was 17 years younger than my late Dad, but at times I thought it was almost the other way around. She's a peach.

OTOH, close as I've been to some co-worker ladies... the age factor is a large part of them being "way-little sis" or almost like a grandkid. But then, it's similar relationships with the few younger males in an increasingly female-dominated line of work.

I like people of all ages - but I think it's a different relationship variety if you've got a degree of shared experience. Then everything is a matter of sharing experiences rather than teaching a student. But others may figure differently.

Seriously, one guy I was jamming with in a saloon here a cupla years ago had also played music with my younger brother who's 28 years younger. It was kinda interesting to discuss some generational differences even in guitar playing concepts...

----- Rob...

Not only was I born during Truman's tenure - still during WWII, though - I actually met the guy and shook his hand. Regardless of politics in any way, HST was a guy far underrated as a human being of value who didn't take much credit when he could have. He played a half decent piano, too.

I agree, btw, about the "alone" thing. That's why I think real friendships become increasingly valuable as one ages. It doesn't have to be "romantic," although it can be. But I know I increasingly value the few people I consider friends.

m

Not only was I born during Truman's tenure - still during WWII, though - I actually met the guy and shook his hand. Regardless of politics in any way, HST was a guy far underrated as a human being of value who didn't take much credit when he could have. He played a half decent piano, too.

m

Politics aside, HST was a great president....one who was decisive, and "had a pair". Something we haven't seen in many years!

I can't think of a single president, (save Reagan), who would have dropped an A-Bomb on Japan given the same circumstances.

Maybe good, maybe bad...but you gotta admit, HST had the stones to order 'em!

I can't think of a single president, (save Reagan), who would have dropped an A-Bomb on Japan given the same circumstances.

Um, Reagan was for nuclear reduction because even he realized it makes no sense to be able to destroy the planet 1000x over. Whether any other president would have used nukes on Japan is an unknown.

The one on the left is not from India I suspect...nor is her heritage. :)

That's Sacheen Littlefeather. Seems to me she accepted Marlon Brando's Academy Award, (for Patton?), and read a prepared statement on his behalf.

She was an "indian", prior to political correctness, now she'd be considered something else. Damn that Columbus...had he known where he was, he would have

never named those people "Indians" in the first place!

Um, Reagan was for nuclear reduction because even he realized it makes no sense to be able to destroy the planet 1000x over. Whether any other president would have used nukes on Japan is an unknown.

Well maybe we could have prevented Toyota from making card that self-accelerate.

Okay...

Before this thread gets too politically incorrect...

Several "native American" owned major publications have the term "Indian" as part of the masthead or flag, whatever... Indian Country Today is one. A lotta folks I've known on "the rez" quite happily refer to themselves as "Indians" whether or not they know I have some of that genetics in my own background. Some of the name changing is, IMHO, kinda a matter of how "politics" got involved in changes in the language by overt intent in the last quarter of the 20th century up to date.

Oh, and I know enrolled tribal members who are blond haired and blue-eyed. Tribe=Family.

.... RE "east Indians," with all due respect Krock, if I see you headed my way in a sari 'stedda with a guitar... I ain't gonna whistle. <grin> If "you" all looked the same, procreation likely would have ended thousands of years ago. One reason people of exclusively "Northern European" ethnicity in theory will have to consider that the variation in physical appearances comes from some additional genetic input at one point in time or another.

m

Okay...

. A lotta folks I've known on "the rez" quite happily refer to themselves as "Indians" whether or not they know I have some of that genetics in my own background.

m

Milo, my grandmother, (Father's mom), was a "half-breed", (although she would never speak that in public).

In fact, when Kennedy gave reparations to the Cherokee, she was contacted by someone in the administration, (I was young and didn't pay attention, as I should have).

When people ask my heritage, I refer to myself as a "Portagee-Okie")

I have a great aunt who felt the blood was to be kept secret, too. Sad thing to me, but...

My family name has been in North America only since around 1690 or so. Few male offspring; my "little" brother (as opposed to my "baby" brother) has two sons who have sons. That sounds like about "it" for this generation. That seems to be the pattern for some 300 years, anyway.

m

I have a great aunt who felt the blood was to be kept secret, too. Sad thing to me, but...

My family name has been in North America only since around 1690 or so. Few male offspring; my "little" brother (as opposed to my "baby" brother) has two sons who have sons. That sounds like about "it" for this generation. That seems to be the pattern for some 300 years, anyway.

m

Different times.... I can't imagine anyone would be upset about having Indian blood...(or is it Native American Blood.... or Indigenous People's blood?)...these days.

From my family... My sisters have all sons....but none will carry the "family name". I have 2 sons...one changed his name from "Birdwell" to that of his step-father...and my other son is 32 and still no offspring. My only brother is 55 and never been married, so his chances of

passing on the family name is somewhere between slim and none.

Rob...

Sounds pretty much like "us."

All kidding aside, in ways I always figured that Churchill's term, "The American Race" actually fits pretty well - it's just that it's a race not so much of skin color or eye folds, but rather one of some functionally-genetic mental as well as physical traits.

1. What genes can more easily handle weather in various areas of North America prior to central air conditioning and heat...

2. What mental traits find individual treks into terra incognita more attractive than remaining in what appears to be more secure environments...

3. What brings inclinations to forming new social structures rather than holding only to the old?

4. What mental toughness allows function with little or no support structure?

I think in ways that "American Race" has political and some social difficulties specifically because of the above - and there's a lack of the "frontier" for one to exploit one's natural inclinations of 1-4. Face it, it gave "us" new kinds of music that didn't fit "old" definitions.

m

Archived