Gibson Brands Forums

Faded Studio w/ Maple top

Grawbad

Thanks again to all that helped me recently in my other thread.

So today, by a long shot, work led me near a Guitar Center. I was excited to go in and play around with the different Les Pauls I was considering. (Shh, I was on lunch.)

I found out real fast how much Guitar Center sucks.

1: Nobody knew anything about the guitars. I knew more than they did, and thats pretty bad.

2: I couldn't find an employee that could play guitar. I had to enlist another shopper to play a few for me.

3: The dude was trying to sell me a Studio for 799 "without" a bag or case. Kept telling me that the gig bag didn't come with it and that I would need to purchase one. I just stayed polite and said I thought that they did come with a gig bag; he stuck to his story.

4: Their selection of guitars leaves a lot to be desired.

ANYWAYS.

I learned a lot today. If you followed my previous thread I was intending on a Standard or Traditional with a lean towards the traditional. What I found out today was that I love the traditional. They didn't have a Standard so no dice there. However, I also found out that I love the faded studio.

In regards to overall I know the Traditional is leaps above the studio, but I really just fell in love with that Faded. I played around with it for about an hour.

I might have walked out of there with one if the in store experience wasn't so crappy. I have been saving for a Standard/Traditional for a while and I found out today that I rather start with a faded this time though so I guess I got that out of the experience. And I do get to save some money after all.

So I get home here today and I start looking around online and I go over Gibson's page for the faded model and I come across that its supposed to have a Maple top now. The ones in the store were mahogany as far as I could tell and every single one I can find online is mahogany.

I am guessing that in order to get one with the maple top I will need to wait for the stores to ship all of their mahogany tops to clear their inventory?

Now here is my thing, I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with that faded I had in my hands today. The way my hand traveled the neck, the look, the feel, just every thing about it, right down to how it resonated in my hands when I strummed. It just felt so right in my hands. (If you can understand what I am saying.)

Now I know that a Maple top is supposed to be better for a multitude of reasons, but is there any guarantee that I will find that to be the case if I get one with a maple top instead of the mahogany?

I guess what I am asking is if its possible that one could actually prefer the mahogany top over the maple? Or is this just an upgrade all around and I will like it even better?

I need to know whether or not I should wait for the maple top to be available online and grab one or if I might prefer the mahogany top over the maple I should grab one before they are gone. [confused]

What a day. I wish I could readily access a shop that had all Gibson Les Paul models in, it would make it so much easier to buy a guitar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give guys.

P.S.

I saw a guitar there today that looked kind of like a Studio. There was no binding on the body. The pick guard was different and almost looked flush to the body. However, that guitar had binding on the neck. What in the world was that, I can't find anything like it on Gibson's site.

This is just out of curiosity, so don't worry about it if you don't know either, I know my description leaves a lot to be desired. ;)

You just learned the most valuable lesson about guitars and answered all your own questions. A guitar is only as good as it inspires you to play it. When you find the right guitar you know it. Don't let what is supposed to be "Better" dictate what you like. I would also recommend that if you really like that guitar that you go and buy THAT guitar as you might find one that looks identical but does not have the same vibe at all. There is a ton of advice and opinion freely handed out here but that is all it is. Use your own judgment and if you like what you get that's all that matters. As I said the rest is just opinion and marketing. I have had probably 60 or more guitars over the last 30 years and my all time favorite was a Japanese Charvel that cost about 350.00 back in 1987. I now have Les Pauls, an SG, a couple of Explorers and 3 Charvels 2 of which are identical to the original Charvel I bought years ago but have since lost. None of them compare to that one.

Regards,

Andy

I saw a guitar there today that looked kind of like a Studio. There was no binding on the body. The pick guard was different and almost looked flush to the body. However, that guitar had binding on the neck. What in the world was that, I can't find anything like it on Gibson's site.

This is just out of curiosity, so don't worry about it if you don't know either, I know my description leaves a lot to be desired. ;)

sounds like a LP Special maybe? did it have P90's?

94940f5b-3995-40e2-b58f-438a22ff2d52.jpg

if you really liked the faded LP Studio, you should play the 60's tribute studio before you buy: only $50 more and you'll get your honeyburst... at least see if it hits you like the faded did. :)

nice. andy said it. the most important thing is what it does to you. this does and can only happen on a guitar-to-guitar basis. and can't stress enough the advantage of shopping and playing the guitars you will actually buy.

when that happens to me, i usually give it a day or so to let the thrill go away so i can better asses wheather what i am feeling and thinking is in my head or if i really like the guitar as much as i think i do. i always come up with-it's only a guitar. if it gets sold before i buy it, or i don't buy it, there will be another, and if i do buy it and maybe i shouldn't have or could have bought another, what is my loss? not much. can always resale it or keep it and buy another.

concerning the bag/case, it is a common tactic for stores to NOT sell the axe with the case it came with, for obvious reasons. but if you are armed with the info as what it comes with and what others are selling it for and with, you have something to get them with. and even if you end up paying more, you know how much more it is and you can make it clear to them that YOU know you are paying the extra and you expect a little something for the extra you are paying them rather than someone else. you could say something like, "fine. if you don't have the money in the guitar to give me the bag and i have to pay for it, then i want something substantial like the case. and i should expect it at cost sinse you aren't going to lose on the guitar." might end up with a case for like 20 bucks more.

with all the haggleing they might make you go through, remember, who really cares if they are jerks? does that make them any cooler if they get a few bucks more than they desrve? and also, gotta remember that they are just trying to make a living, and it is worth paying a little more for the option of having a store with employees than mail-order. they deserve respect just as you do. we all want the lowest price, but sometimes between men it comes down to you don't screw me and i won't screw you. a few bucks here and there don't really matter.

i hope this helps contribute to the fun you are having, and hope it is fun. keep us posted will ya? it is fun to hear about.

Andy did hit it on the head. Feel the connection and roll with THAT.

Remember also, if your buying it from GC, you can always return it within 30 days. If they get the maple top in within that time, and you find out you like that one more, take the mahogany top back in for an exchange. Take advantage of this with any guitar purchase from GC. That's what the 30 days is for.

As an owner of both, I can say I like both equally. Some dudes say they hear all sorts of difference, I say it's very small. And chances are you'll hear something different than me so who knows. I mainly got the maple one because I wanted to repaint it with the Vintage Sunburst. I also wanted to give it the "natural binding" which works better with a maple top. And lastly I wanted the BurstBucker Pros since i liked them so much in the Vintage Mahogany, and for $738 (presidents day weekend sale at GC is 15% off starting on the 18th) why not?!

As for the case, I always ask if they have a original case that is scuffed or scratched. These cases still are structurally sound, but they tend to not sell them to customers because people complain about buying a new case that already has a scuff on it. You can usually get a really great discount on the scuffed or scratched cases. There are also plenty of other people out there making quality cases with out the outrageous $199 price tag of a new gibson case.

Good luck with your purchase!!

@ Andy

Thanks man, your right. I should stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. Its just my limited play causes me to look to what others think in order to draw my own conclusion. I take what everyone says and use it to form my own opinion of this stuff.

@ Stein

Yeah, I have waited some time now and still feel that I want a faded. Its the way I am going.

@ dbreslauer

That was the one. Except this one was wine red or some kind of red. Thanks.

The only thing about the 60's tribute is that is has a different pick up in it and when I tried a guitar with those pick ups I preferred the ones in the faded. Now it wasn't a tribute model though so I don't know how that would equate. But yeah, I looked at them online at the Honey Burst looks really NICE.

@ pick6

I had no idea they were going on sale. That is interesting. I will look into this.

I have decided that I will be buying one in person and making the long trek in order to do so. Gotta wait until the nearest GC gets the faded back in. They sold them out today.

I will keep you guys posted.

Had a similar situation with the Gibson SG Standard at Guitar Center. My experience in the store was entirely positive, however. But anyway, I really felt like that guitar was the one. I knew I could get it online without sales tax, which on a $1200 guitar would be $70+...so I used that as a bargaining chip (but I really wanted the guitar I had played). I said, "Hey, you know I really like this guitar - gonna buy one for sure - but I can save $$ by buying online. How about you throw in a strap? And with the amp (Fender Mustang II) I'm going to need a cable..." No problem. I ended up with a super nice $60 Franklin padded leather strap, and a Mogami gold cable ($45) at no charge. I love my SG!

As for the gig bag - those for sure come with the gig bag (as noted from the factory) so you need to be firm on that!

Enjoy the adventure!

Thanks again to all that helped me recently in my other thread.

So today, by a long shot, work led me near a Guitar Center. I was excited to go in and play around with the different Les Pauls I was considering. (Shh, I was on lunch.)

I found out real fast how much Guitar Center sucks.

1: Nobody knew anything about the guitars. I knew more than they did, and thats pretty bad.

2: I couldn't find an employee that could play guitar. I had to enlist another shopper to play a few for me.

3: The dude was trying to sell me a Studio for 799 "without" a bag or case. Kept telling me that the gig bag didn't come with it and that I would need to purchase one. I just stayed polite and said I thought that they did come with a gig bag; he stuck to his story.

4: Their selection of guitars leaves a lot to be desired.

ANYWAYS.

I learned a lot today. If you followed my previous thread I was intending on a Standard or Traditional with a lean towards the traditional. What I found out today was that I love the traditional. They didn't have a Standard so no dice there. However, I also found out that I love the faded studio.

In regards to overall I know the Traditional is leaps above the studio, but I really just fell in love with that Faded. I played around with it for about an hour.

I might have walked out of there with one if the in store experience wasn't so crappy. I have been saving for a Standard/Traditional for a while and I found out today that I rather start with a faded this time though so I guess I got that out of the experience. And I do get to save some money after all.

So I get home here today and I start looking around online and I go over Gibson's page for the faded model and I come across that its supposed to have a Maple top now. The ones in the store were mahogany as far as I could tell and every single one I can find online is mahogany.

I am guessing that in order to get one with the maple top I will need to wait for the stores to ship all of their mahogany tops to clear their inventory?

Now here is my thing, I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with that faded I had in my hands today. The way my hand traveled the neck, the look, the feel, just every thing about it, right down to how it resonated in my hands when I strummed. It just felt so right in my hands. (If you can understand what I am saying.)

Now I know that a Maple top is supposed to be better for a multitude of reasons, but is there any guarantee that I will find that to be the case if I get one with a maple top instead of the mahogany?

I guess what I am asking is if its possible that one could actually prefer the mahogany top over the maple? Or is this just an upgrade all around and I will like it even better?

I need to know whether or not I should wait for the maple top to be available online and grab one or if I might prefer the mahogany top over the maple I should grab one before they are gone. [confused]

What a day. I wish I could readily access a shop that had all Gibson Les Paul models in, it would make it so much easier to buy a guitar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give guys.

P.S.

Updates on products like the maple cap always make me fearful of ordering a guitar and having an older version show up. Contrasting to the fact that I'd often times rather have an older model... its just upsetting to get "leftovers" or old stock unless you hope for it. i guess thats why i buy secondhand.

Updates on products like the maple cap always make me fearful of ordering a guitar and having an older version show up. Contrasting to the fact that I'd often times rather have an older model... its just upsetting to get "leftovers" or old stock unless you hope for it. i guess thats why i buy secondhand.

If you order from someone like SweetWater you'll get the see the guitar before you buy it. No surprises.

I have a Faded Cherry Studio and I picked it over the other Studios. Why? I love the feeling of the neck. Sure, I would like a glossy finish on the body, but the neck stood out to me and it still feels amazing.

Its like one of those shirts you pick up off the rack and it just feels like you've had it for 30 years... just great. IMO I love the sound of mine. If you like it, pick it up. If there was a certain guitar you liked, get that one.

Archived