Gibson Brands Forums

GC Custom J45TV 2008 on ebay

Curlington1

First time poster, impressed with the forum and the knowledge here. I have Guilds and Martins. I have played, and am now gassing for, a J45TV. I just missed one locally on CL. I am intrigued by this ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220737857387&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The seller says it was a limited custom run for the Guitar Center stores and that they had requested no label but with the serial number stamped on the neck block. Other manufacturers’ guitars coming from the Custom Shop differ in some ways from the standard specs, unless I am mistaken. The seller is (implicitly) saying that the specs are identical, but I am just trying to do a little due diligence to make sure. Any insight would be appreciated. I hope to join you as a Gibson owner at some point. Thanks, Dave

I answered my own question, sort or, with further research. An earlier thread here showed that Gibson Customer Service e-mailed that the only difference between our 2008 model (which was an exclusive run for Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend), is that the top was glued on with wood glue, whereas our 2009 model (available to all dealers) has a top glued with hide glue. The main only difference is the fact that the 2nd one has a hot hide glue top and comes in a brown, period correct case, while the first model will use a wood glue top and come in a standard black case.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/35053-what-is-the-difference-re-two-available-j-45-true-vintage-guitars/

Perhaps someone could tell me the advantages of the two types of glue. I prefer the look of the black/blue case but is it as sturdy? Cosmetically, there is no label on the GC version. Also, from the pictures on e-bay, the GC version looks to have a different stain/color on the back.

I think the GC version retainled at $150 less. Of course, I know buying without playing is somewhat risky but I have a kinda good feeling about this one for some stange reason.

Again, any comments or assistance would be appreciated. Dave

I don't know anything about a run being built without an orange label (though the lack of label is a vintage spec, so I can see a retailer requesting it), but that guitar looks like the real thing to me. I really like the back on that one.

The black cases are plenty sturdy. The tan ones weigh a ton and have too many latches that are hard to line up, if you ask me.

Hide glue is kind of a buzzword these days, as many classic vintage guitars were built with it, and lots of people want their new guitars to be built as closely as possible to vintage ones so they produce vintage tone. Hide glue dries to a more brittle state than TiteBond type wood glues, which retain some elasticityy. The harder hide glue is thought to conduct acoustic energy differently. I'm sure it makes a contribution to how the guitar sounds, but the main thing is how nice and light the J-45 TV's are. I have two ( a J-45 TV and an SJ TV) and think the world of them.

Hide glue or not, the TV's get a lot of acclaim. Good luck in the auction.

Red 333

Looks like the same Guitar is coming up on Ebay again: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-J-45-True-Vintage-Custom-Red-Spruce-Top-Guitar-/220729015301?pt=Guitar&hash=item3364797c05

Keep in mind that some dealers are willing to sell a new (with warranty) J-45TV for $2,200.00 The J-45TV's I've played have been excellent Guitars and very consistent in term of tone, volume, fit and finish. I would have no reservations of buying one sight unseen - provided you have a trial period to assess and return if needed. Har4d to go wrong with a J-45TV!

Red 333 and Pickax: Thank you for your replies. Very helpful. I was slow on the uptake that a Custom Shop guitar, and a Custom Shop guitar made for GC, are two different animals. I have a killer 1991 Custom Shop Martin D28 adi top, scalloped braces, etc., definitely not made for GC! A great J45TV would be a perfect compliment. I did not see the previous listing, and question why a seller would not mention that the item is being relisted, etc., and I think I will sit this one out. Cheers, Dave

Archived