Gibson Brands Forums

An interesting topic I think...

Andy R

Andy,

Quite an interesting topic. In my humble opinion, though, it's all a matter of semantics and is open to interpretation by the individual. You are bound to find opinions that will land on every point between the extremes. Someone will say that throwing a Gibson decal on the headstock makes it a Gibson. Another will say that as soon as someone modifies it in any way, it is no longer a true Gibson. I believe that the majority of opinions would lean toward it being a "Gibson" if it is the original body and neck that was made by Gibson.

I found the car analogies interesting, especially after seeing some similar extremes--the Concours car that loses half its value when a taillight lens is replaced by a non-original piece, or the famous vintage racecar that was rebuilt with enough new handmade parts as to make the car only roughly 10% "original." It's all up individual perceptions and desires.

Yeah I agree there will be many opinions that vary greatly and a big part of it is semantics. I'm also not looking to convince or have people to agree or disagree with me or each other it was just something that popped in my mind and thought I would throw it out here just to see what people thought.

I was thinking about that guitar that is on the failure thread that Neo started and was thinking that even in that state it is Still a Gibson. I think you could repair it and you would still have a Gibson. I don't think you could take the part that was cutaway and build a guitar around it and call it a Gibson though. I was also thinking about customized cars and also got to thinking about how people felt about the Gibson brand name and what that means. Obviously I considered my project and the Topic was formed in my mind...

It's all about having fun and getting people to communicate and talk about something.... I have enjoyed it so far.

Andy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually, thats all thats left of it. the pictures. lmao

Yep! Nothing but pictures left of it. Hardly any guitar left here at all....[flapper]

1d10bc55.jpg

82f0809d.jpg

80521906.jpg

Except for the mahogany body, bound maple top, neck, bound ebony fretboard with MOP inlays, headstock with new veneers waiting on new MOP inlays and binding, oh and the pile of new parts for it, Gold Tone Pros bridge and tail piece, New Gold 3 way switch, new nut, new gold Kluson waffle back tuners, new 3 ply pick guard, new pick up bezels, new knobs, new jack, new screws.... Hardly anything.... Doesn't even look like a guitar...[crying]

that is really coming along nicely. i love the super 400 touch on the twelve fret inlay. also, i like the top so far, kinda looks a lot like the figure of a lot of 60's era gibby's, all there but subtle at the same time. in fact, as it sits there with no finish the color reminds me of a nat l-5 or super 400 (yea i know they are spruce).

did i recall you were going to do multi binding on the neck? i always found it interesting that the only difference in the trim package between those 3 gibby flagships was the lp had single layer binding on the neck as opposed to the other 2's multi, and the lp has the l-5 blocks and the super 400 headstock inlay.

that said, i think multi binding on the neck is a nice, high class touch. real cool. but i would add, just an opinion, the "rolls royce", umm, dunno. it seems kinda cheesy to me considering what i see as an extremely tasteful version of a high end gibson.

have you decided on a color?

that is really coming along nicely. i love the super 400 touch on the twelve fret inlay. also, i like the top so far, kinda looks a lot like the figure of a lot of 60's era gibby's, all there but subtle at the same time. in fact, as it sits there with no finish the color reminds me of a nat l-5 or super 400 (yea i know they are spruce).

did i recall you were going to do multi binding on the neck? i always found it interesting that the only difference in the trim package between those 3 gibby flagships was the lp had single layer binding on the neck as opposed to the other 2's multi, and the lp has the l-5 blocks and the super 400 headstock inlay.

that said, i think multi binding on the neck is a nice, high class touch. real cool. but i would add, just an opinion, the "rolls royce", umm, dunno. it seems kinda cheesy to me considering what i see as an extremely tasteful version of a high end gibson.

have you decided on a color?

Thanks I appreciate it. and Yes I did 3 layer w/b/w binding on the neck.It's hard to tell because I haven't shaved down the outer binding yet as that will be done when I'm ready to do the fret level, crown and polish so I can get the Nibs right. The top has 6 layer binding the back will get the 4 layer binding and the headstock will get the 5 layer binding. I haven't finished shaping the top yet. It's close but I will detail the carve a bit more.

The guitar is my little Nod to Randy Rhoads, he used to wear an RR ring that was the Rolls Royce R's. It's even on his Burial Monument

75708243.jpg

I know it might seem a bit cheesy but part of it is just about the "See if I can factor"

It is going to be vintage aged cream/yellowed white like Randy's Custom. I wanted it to be my own version of the Randy Rhoads Tribute Custom with my own flare...

I think I am going to build more of a true replica Black Beauty Custom next and then the maple twin of my walnut E2 explorer. After that I am going to build a Rick Bass for my boss....

Andy

Jimmy Page hot rodded his Original 1959 Les Paul.

I would still consider that a Gibson.

I think that your choosing the guitar for its qualities alone and then tweaking in such a way to make it your own and I don't think that makes it less of a Gibson guitar, because if you tweaked a Fender or PRS or whatever else in the same manner it still won't be a Gibson Guitar nor will it even sound the same.

Thanks I appreciate it. and Yes I did 3 layer w/b/w binding on the neck.It's hard to tell because I haven't shaved down the outer binding yet as that will be done when I'm ready to do the fret level, crown and polish so I can get the Nibs right. The guitar is my little Nod to Randy Rhoads, he used to wear an RR ring that was the Rolls Royce R's. I know it might seem a bit cheesy but part of it is just about the "See if I can factor" It is going to be vintage aged cream/yellowed white like Randy's Custom. I wanted it to be my own version of the Randy Rhoads Tribute Custom with my own flare...

Andy

didn't rhodes also have a nat finish one? i know he had the white one, seems like a good idea. just liking the wood, though.

didn't rhodes also have a nat finish one? i know he had the white one, seems like a good idea. just liking the wood, though.

Never seen him with a nat Paul but used to have a pic of him with a black beauty.

lol, i meant what was LEFT of the guitar. another analogy that comes to mind is micheal jacksons nose.

All the more reason to paint it not quite white! [woot]

Archived