retrosurfer1959

In general we find it weird that there are still millions of American motorists

Who have no interest in tempering their consumption of dwindling oil reserves

Rock On !! [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Yep! That's the American way: Speed, Power, and Performance. msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah but what happens after you get off the line? dry.gif

And I'll say it again, I couldn't care less about miles per gallon. Here's an example. The Bugatti Veyron only gets 3 mpg at top speed (1.4 gallons per minute). Do I care? No Why? Because its top speed is 267mph!

doesn't matter because I'm driving around town [flapper]

Where can you drive around at 267 mph? That just doesn't make sense

The best vehicle I ever owned as far as what I paid for it. The miles I got out of it, the little bit of trouble I had, and how easy it was to repair was my 89 Toyota 4 runner with the 22RE 4 cylinder engine. I bought it for around $4,000 and it had 113,000 miles on it. I put another 120,000 on it and it was still running but by that time it was so beat it wasn't worth much. In the end I used to use it to drive around in my woods. I was going to rebuild the 22RE and make it a purely Off road truck so I pulled it out and stripped it down. It had two burnt valves and 2 broken piston skirts and some big chunks of metal in the oil pan and the thing still started right up and would get you from point A to Point B before I pulled it out.

The 22 RE's are such good engines they are hard to find used and expensive if you do. I ended up getting divorced around that time so I decided to sell it as I had enough on my plate. I still got 500.00 and the engine was sitting the back of the truck.... I got my monies worth for that one. Now I have had a ford Ranger for the last 10 years. It's not bad but have had little issues with it from day one. I will never buy another one.

I also have 3 91 Trans Am's in various states of repair. I have owned one of them since it was new It's getting an LS1 with a Borg Warner 6 speed transplant and is currently on a rotisserie for complete make over. I love those cars.

I think it's funny how most of the people here have the cars they have because of gas mileage. When I look at a car, I look at how many horses its got under the hood, not how far it goes before I have to stop for gas. I care far more about performance than gas mileage. Therefore, I don't even bother with pathetic compact cars. dry.gif

Right now my goal is to get Dodge Challenger as the first car that I buy with my own money. The 2011 Challenger SRT8 is one bad@ss machine. It's got a 470HP 6.4L Hemi 392 V8 that can get it to a top speed of 180-185mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcZaVH_x3E

Not me. Why is it funny and/or pathetic to want a car that is efficient? I own a Toyota Prius and love it completely and totally, this from a guy who grew up reading Car and Driver and who, less than a decade ago, drove a well-made 427 Cobra kit car with a Mustang 5.0 that could carry it to 60 in under five seconds.

It was a fun five seconds, but then it gets to be like, Okay; now what? In other words, I grew up.

I am not going to get into a debate on the simple equation of High MPH = A Good Thing for Everybody. Because that sets off all kinds of other debates that no one wants to hear: If you haven't figured out that oil is a very finite source - even Big Oil will tell you that - then it's Game Over.

To address the reliability issue, I consider Consumer Reports to be the Bible when it comes to assessing reliability. Stupid moves by Toyota notwithstanding, Japanese brands continue to rule the roost, but American makes - especially Ford - are really making strides. I really like the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Expensive German brands - despite their reputation for quality - trail everyone else. I know for sure that if I paid $40K for a car and had to have it towed every couple of months, I'd be might pissed. I'd be looking for that KIA people used to make fun of...

I think it's funny how most of the people here have the cars they have because of gas mileage. When I look at a car, I look at how many horses its got under the hood, not how far it goes before I have to stop for gas. I care far more about performance than gas mileage. Therefore, I don't even bother with pathetic compact cars. dry.gif

Right now my goal is to get Dodge Challenger as the first car that I buy with my own money. The 2011 Challenger SRT8 is one bad@ss machine. It's got a 470HP 6.4L Hemi 392 V8 that can get it to a top speed of 180-185mph:

With gas prices continuing to climb they're making an intelligent decision. My family are big into muscle cars (chevelles, corvettes, roadsters etc.), I've been around them ever since I was little. I went through the power phase with my '93 Rx7 turbo, 180 mph is scary. I'd like to get another one eventually but I won't ever push one to that speed again. The little gas sippers are great for every day driving, and saves a lot more money for the toys.

My7.jpg

^ My Rx7 while it was parked at the Lotus dealership I got it from in Michigan.

I have the last of the second generation Prius. Don't be surprised, but, outside of a pesky flat caused by two nails, this car has had zero problems. All of those brake and gas pedal issues with third generation cars did not affect us. My wife drives it to work five days a week and this sucker averages forty eight miles per gallon in the city. Because it is a ten gallon tank I don't have to mortgage the house every time I fill up. Hatch back is very roomy and we have the JBL sound system.

I could not be happier with this car. Nice thing is that we bought an extended warranty so the car will be paid off before the warranty expires.

Not me. Why is it funny and/or pathetic to want a car that is efficient? I own a Toyota Prius and love it completely and totally,...

High five, brother. Which generation Prius do you own? How do you like the JBL sound system?

+1, I don't understand that mindset

There isn't a need for it when you have the option of driving an efficient vehicle. My 7 only saw the road on weekends, every day going to work it was the Protégé, 35 mpg is a lot lighter on my pocketbook.

There isn't a need for it when you have the option of driving an efficient vehicle. My 7 only saw the road on weekends, every day going to work it was the Protégé, 35 mpg is a lot lighter on my pocketbook.

My neighbor bought a Challenger SRT8 when they first came out, and he would just sit in the driveway and rev the engine. Then he filled up a couple of times... he no longer drives it and it just sits there.

My neighbor bought a Challenger SRT8 when they first came out, and he would just sit in the driveway and rev the engine. Then he filled up a couple of times... he no longer drives it and it just sits there.

Guy sounds like a wanker.

Guy sounds like a wanker.

Wanker doesn't begin to describe it.

He's 40, lives with his parents off of "Daddy's money" his pop gave him a job, decided it would be easier if he just cut his son a paycheck every two weeks than have him actually do work for him because he messes up. Never had to do anything in his life and then got his girlfriend pregnant and tried to back out saying the kid wasn't his... yeah, he's a super wanker

Tman. Wait till you start paying for gas....

...and brakes and tires and u-joints and insurance and tickets and traffic school.

Not for nothing.. but how does smoking the tires equate to high performance?

I'm a cheep bastard. I want to see how many miles I get out of my dollars.

I somehow deleted about half my original post when I deleted a double post.

The Mercedes drives great when it runs the issues is some of the electronic sensors when they go out it's a special order takes 2-3 weeks to get the part for a 15 minute job. The car is a business lease for my wife (car allowance) or I would have killed somebody by now. The good thing about is that the dealership provides a comparable loaner when it's in the shop at no charge so were wracking up miles on there new E series sedan right now. Before this lease ends I kinda think will get a chance to drive almost everything Mercedes builds.

T-Man cost of gas and ownership will mean a whole lot more when your vehicle doesn't have pedals. I have a Jeep, a 2002 Ford Retro Thunderbird and a Porsche Boxster S and they all do 35-65 just fine. My last car before the jeep was a Honda Element that I loved the only issue was a weak *** rotary air conditioner and since I live in Phoenix good air conditioning is the only thing I care more about then cost of ownership*.

* Except the Boxster that is my mid-life crisis car I usually only drive it out to dinner on Saturday night. [blush]

High five, brother. Which generation Prius do you own? How do you like the JBL sound system?

Mine is an '06 but I don't have the JBL...a little out of my price range. The regular 6-speaker does fine. I have a good satellite radio hooked up and I love it.

I have 63,000 problems and the only problem I have ever had was a stuck emergency break. I did do the so-called recall fix for the gas pedal, but that was done in one hour. I love that this car is a hatchback: plenty of room inside for hauling things, especially a bike in the summer and for those trips to Costco.

And nearly 50mpg in the summer...in mostly city driving...

Archived