Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Les Paul Traditional Pro Cherry Sunburst

Clump

New to the board and a new Epiphone!

Last weekend's $75 off coupon at GC proved to be too much for me. I went to the Rockville, MD store seeking a Traditional Pro. They had 1 each Ebony and Wine Red on the floor. The Ebony 1 is well on it's way to being a relic. I didn't know it was even possible to scratch a guitar up between the pickups as much as it's showing. Whoever did this must hold the pick in an iron grip on the very back edge and strum like a maniac. It also had scratches and dings pretty much all over the face of the guitar. The Wine Red was pretty decent, loaded with fingerprints, but not beat to hell yet. They had 1 Burst still in the unopened box that I brought home.

Quickie review:

Finish is very nice. I can't find any problems. I'm really liking the satin neck and back. The setup was OK out of the box. I tweaked the truss rod a bit and lowered the bridge. The action is very nice now. Messed with the intonation a bit and it's close; will get it better after new strings and once I'm done messing with the action. The pickups are hot! I had to turn down a good bit compared to my Baja Tele. Pickups sound nice. I'm used to the Tele single volume and tone controls, there's a lot of variety here. The bridge pup tone pot appears to have a bent shaft. That's the only issue I've found so far. I'll probably change to speed knobs and will straighten it then.

These are supposed to come with strap locks. This particular GC had no Epiphone strap locks in the store at all. It's not a huge thing, but you should get what's advertised. They're trying to find some for me.

Overall I'm thrilled. It seems to be a great value for the money.

Pics:

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

That's a nice lookin' guitar, I've seen several of those AND the '59s on ebay for some pretty nice prices. Is the back one piece of wood? It looks like it from the photo...likin' the satin thing they got on it...sweety for sure! Happy New Guitar Day indeed!

Nice guitar! I have a black Traditional Pro. I'm willing to bet that the pot shaft isn't bent, mine seemed that way too and the knob was just not on quite right. If I remember correctly I pulled it off and slightly opened up the slot in the pot shaft and carefully pressed the knob back on.

Very sweet guitar ya got there. I've been gassing for a wine red one for a while now, but with a Nighthawk on order I must control myself...you're not making it easy! [drool]

Haven't had the chance to play one in person yet, so I was wondering how you like the sound with the coils split...does it sound at all like the Gibson version? If so I might just have to pull the trigger anyway...the Nighthawk seems to be on perennial backorder and I could really use a fix. LOL

Very sweet guitar ya got there. I've been gassing for a wine red one for a while now, but with a Nighthawk on order I must control myself...you're not making it easy! [drool]

Haven't had the chance to play one in person yet, so I was wondering how you like the sound with the coils split...does it sound at all like the Gibson version? If so I might just have to pull the trigger anyway...the Nighthawk seems to be on perennial backorder and I could really use a fix. LOL

Sorry I don't know what the Gibson pups sound like split. I'm a pretty new player, about 6 months in. My other electric is a Tele and the Epi pups in single coil mode sound nothing like the Tele, but I don't think anybody expects them to.

Archived