Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 339 fights you from a seated position

singlecoil

Gibson 339 fights you from a seated position. I've played 2 of these so far. Prior to this I have played the 339 mostly standing. Last evening I was forced to sit with it. Prior to this my playing had all been a few minutes by myself and the guitar seemed ok. Just noodling. Last night having to keep up with the rest of the band was a *****. Definitely not good past the 7th. Sorta bummed out -because I like this guitar or thought I did.

Last night was a *****. At least for me seated I felt like I was fighting the guitar to keep it balanced on my knee. The body was all behind me . Quite frankly it's made me second guess the 339. My left hand ached terrible. So much so I'd have to rest it every 10 minutes. I think because I felt like I was holding the guitar up and playing at the same time.

I have never experienced a guitar that had such crappy balance seated. I have played 335's hard in that seated position and don't remember it being that much of a struggle.

This happen to anyone else. Maybe this is a guitar for a smaller person. I thought I read somewhere that the 336/56 was a better balanced guitar. With the horn cut somewhat different.

Not trying to be a wise guy but if you need to play it sitting and you don't like it but you've done the same with a 335 and liked it, why not just get a 335?

The whole idea was weight. I suppose I could look around and try to find a lighter 335. There out there. Another alternative is a used Collings I-35 - Actually they just started making a laminate more like the 335 this year. I stand a lot myself. But who want's to stand to play a guitar all the time. I was quite disappointed because I like the tone of this thing. I am tall and really felt cramped sitting with this. Maybe a 335 is what I'm stuck with.

I use a strap when I sit and play my 339 and I have no trouble at all. Everyone is different and guitars are so personal, so close to the body, that what works for one person doesn't work for somebody else. But try a strap if you haven't, if it doesn't bother you. that's a whole other thing -- people who use a strap while sitting and those who don't. I use one so I worry less about the guitar falling!

I guess I would qualify as "vertically challenged", and I have an ES 330, 335 and 345, and don't have a problem playing sitting down.

I play every Friday w/some other guys in the afternoon, and I use my ES 335, sitting down, I'm really comfortable with it.

Same w/my Tele, a smaller bodied guitar, playing sitting w/o any problem.

My LP 68 Custom does the same thing when sitting. It's 9.5 lb. so it's pretty heavy. The butt constantly wants to fall to the right because of were the contour of the body is located. More weight to the rear of the guitar when trying to balance it on my leg. My 335 stays right on my leg never moves. I play mostly, actually always seated because I'm not in a band anymore. The 335 is my favorite to play especially when seated because it's so comfortable.

Hold the 339 in the classical position with the thing on your left leg and the large bout between your legs. I too play mostly standing and use a strap while sitting also. Local shop owner played mine and he held it in the classical position with no problems.

I wonder if the 336 presents the same problem. Most likely.

The ES-339/359 and CS-336/356 are very similar sizes and generally similar weights... and my 356 balances perfectly sitting or standing as do many 339s.

But I wonder if a CS-336 that weighs, say, 7.2 lbs would balance the same as an ES-339 of the same weight? I believe that the rims, top and back of the 339 are generally far less "massive" than those of a CS-356 because they're made of relatively thin plywood on a 339 while on the 336 they consist of thicker, routed mahogany and maple. I'm guessing, but perhaps that extra mass near the outside of the body of a 336, especially near the tail, is substantially different than the mass concentrated in the centerblock of a 339? A bit like a kid sitting closer to the center of a playground see-saw, perhaps the hypothetical 339 could seem head-heavy in comparison to a 336 of the same overall weight?

Does that make any sense??

My 336 is the most playable guitar I own. I sit and use a strap and it stays put. The thing ways 6.62 lbs so maybe that has a lot to do with it. My es137 weighs 9.02 lbs and tends to fight me so much some times that I named it the dragon.

The 336 is not much bigger than a les paul but again it weighs less. Mine weighs 8.5 lbs.

I think you will find a way to get comfortable enough to concentrate on playing rather than fighting with the guitar. If not maybe it is the wrong guitar for you.

Hold the 339 in the classical position with the thing on your left leg and the large bout between your legs. I too play mostly standing and use a strap while sitting also. Local shop owner played mine and he held it in the classical position with no problems.

That's what I do alot. It's a very comfortable position for the 339.

I think it is interesting that the output jack on the 335 comes out the face and the output jack on the 339 comes out on the edge of the body. To me that makes the 335 better to play sitting or reclining and it makes the 339 better to play standing. I always feel like I'm going to crack the output jack when reclining or sitting with the 339.

That was my first thought. The 339 is the perfect electric guitar for the classical position.

That was my first thought. The 339 is the perfect electric guitar for the classical position.

Personally I see no point in buying a guitar I have to make that drastic of an adjustment to play. I watched a video of someone playing a I35 that way. Sounded good.. Lot more costly guitar, Yet everyone raves about the quality and balance. It looks to be in between the size of a 339 and a 335 . And I know where there's a local one to check it out with. Thanks for the valued input. As always it's appreciated. Even if it's not always what I hoped to here.

I have had my 339 for a year and I enjoy playing it from both sitting and standing positions.I am 5'10" and the sitting position is comfortable.I position it on my right thigh when sitting.I xcan see why this guitar would be too small for some to be comfortable with.

JLHooker

Archived