Gibson Brands Forums

who makes Gibson cases?

j45nick

Who makes Gibson Custom Shop cases now? The case for my Nashville '59 Historic ES-335 has a lot of details that look TKL, such as a velour lining, but other recent Gibson Custom cases I've seen have a more fuzzy interior, like soft plush, plus an interior shroud for the top of the guitar. I need to have a custom case built for my ES 335-12, since it won't quite fit (too long) in the "standard" ES 335 case. I've gotten a quote from Cedar Creek, the custom division of TKL, but would like to match as closely as practical either the modern Gibson case, or a classic one such as the old Lifton. Any ideas? I need a case that is literally about an inch longer in the headstock area than the "stock" 335 interior case length of just under 44". Case needs to be minimum of about 44 1/2" net length on the inside, with standard ES 335 body dimensions. Gibson EB-2 (bass w/335 body) might work, but they are as hard to find as a "real" 335-12 case from the '60s.

• 3 weeks later...

did TKL make the brown/pink cases in the 80s?

i want to know who made this bad boy

5227615661_460c5c5199_z.jpg

I haven't seen one of these in a long time. That was the case I was given when I bought my Les Paul Custom (no longer have it, though) back in 1987.

The guy told me the design was originally made for Sears for their chain-saws. By the looks of it, I would believe that. I hated that case because

it was bottom heavy and made carrying the guitar very awkward. [thumbdn]

...The guy told me the design was originally made for Sears for their chain-saws. By the looks of it, I would believe that. I hated that case because

it was bottom heavy and made carrying the guitar very awkward. [thumbdn]

i agree on all accounts... and it doesn't have a lock!

but, hey, it's period correct and i don't need to worry about nicking it up. im my eyes it's so ugly it's cool [thumbup]

• 3 months later...

Well, I don't know where your Gibson cases were made, buy my es-339 Custom Shop case has a tag in it: it says Made In China.

My guitar came directly to me, in the gibson Box, from Musicians Friend.

Made in China.

Blasphemy!! It would be like your Harley Davidson seats or handlebars were not made in China.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever made the case that came with my '09 '59RI 335 Memphis did it on the ultra cheap, it's a total pile of junk. A cheap import would have a better case than this thing. I know Gibson has to be cost conscious, but come on folks, another $20 isn't gong to hurt the bottom line. Very disappointing.

• 3 years later...

Gibson has been known to supply Ameritage cases for their limited edition guitars. There was one on ebay, an L-5 Wes with a heart-shaped inlay in the top bout, that came with an Ameritage case and case cover. It was embroidered "Gibson".

I know this is an old thread... but just curious if anyone can confirm the use of Ameritage cases by Gibson.

My '12 335 has a cheapo Chinese case. About the cheapest case I've seen. [crying]

OTOH my '12 LP Std. has a nicer case - a Canadian one.

Yeah I've got a few Canadian made Gibson cases as well. Apparently Americans do not possess the skills necessary to build guitar cases for American guitars.. jeez... sighhhh... Henry needs spanked. [cursing]

Yeah I've got a few Canadian made Gibson cases as well. Apparently Americans do not possess the skills necessary to build guitar cases for American guitars.. jeez... sighhhh... Henry needs spanked. [cursing]

As an irony of fate, most of my guitars are US made but came with stock cases from Canada, Costa Rica, or China. In contrary, my MIM Fender FR Strats live in option cases made by G & G in the USA. I decided to go with these since their accessories compartment features a lid securely preventing the vibrato lever from marring the guitar during transport.

Archived