Gibson Brands Forums

Setting up the Trans Trem

dsh27

I am trying to set up my trans trem. I have already stripped the hex nuts which adjust the jaw hight for transposing. The alan wrench they sent me was a little too small...it worked for a couple of strings but it stripped the nuts in the high e string and d. New parts are on the way. My question is: When tuning in the lower position, should I only turn the nut 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and then tune back up in the high position for every string? I've watched the video and Ned talks about that a little. I also don't understand how to adjust the position of the jaw...with the white lines they have pictured in the video. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DSH

First question the answer is yes.

The white lines are not adjustable when you have the guitar tuned because that is what moves the white lines. The tuning knobs. When using double ball strings they just tell you if your string is the right length. When you tune, the white lines will be as shown in the video if the stings are calibrated correctly.

The white lines are very handy when using single ball strings as the video shows you where to start the string off so that when it is tuned it will pull the string ball close to the white line indicator. This is at the very end of the video (before saddle adjustment) where they show the line positions for each string while talking about how much each string stretches. You use the tuners to move the line to the starting position for installing single ball strings. Hope this helps.

Tried the new/better fitting wrench and the set up was very easy. It took me about 20 minutes. All positions in 97% tune. I also changed the strings just in case the ones on it weren't calibrated. I am using GHS tt 10's which I use for my GM pro with original trans trem. Changing the strings was a bit harder than on my other two steinbergers. Very happy now and thanks for your input and help.

DSH

Archived