Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 What sizes strings it comes with?

tifosi360

I got mine about a month ago. I think they're in the neighborhood of 12's but I can't swear to it. I've been playing since 1964 and I've owned a lot of working guitars. This one is the first that I think will remain a personal player. I can't say how impressed I am with the instrument. The only gripe I had was that fresh from the box it wreaked of shellac. After a day of sitting out that's gone and you can smell wood. The neck is straight, the strings are low, the intonation is perfect (checked it on a chromatic tuner). Fast action, small and comfortable to play and a pleasing tone, especially when finger picked. I can't find a bad thing to say about it. The China plant seems to be turning out a very respectable instrument. It's not a Jumbo and you'll never fill a hall with the sound but that's not what it was designed for. If you play with friends in the living room or on the front porch, grab it. It's a bargain at the low price! Oh, one other thing, replace the nut and saddle with bone or imitation bone/ivory and the end pins too. Makes a world of difference. I had it set up by a good Luther when I had this done and I've never regretted it.

Archived