Gibson Brands Forums

Finally Finished

dROK83

So, a while back I bought a bare Gibson Les Paul Studio.

post-11918-092399000 1297902711_thumb.jpg

Well, it's finally finished. Ended up spending about as much as a brand new Studio (nitro, not faded) but it was worth it. The finish is a matte black finish, not many coats so I'm sure I'll wear through it quickly, but I figure it will give it more character. I'm pretty pleased with the look of the guitar. Was wondering if I should put a cream pickguard on it to match the pickups.

post-11918-069770000 1297902720_thumb.jpg

I left the neck the original color, I think it gave it a cool look, and it's a good thing I didn't change it cause the neck is fantastic.

post-11918-076498800 1297902730_thumb.jpg

Opted for a Kahler Tremolo, just liked having the option of a tremolo, and fine tuners.

post-11918-088752100 1297902739_thumb.jpg

Decided to go with the Seymour Duncan P-Rails to get as much outta this guitar as possible. They can be ran single rail, p-90, or humbucker.

post-11918-084725100 1297902746_thumb.jpg

Went with Sperzel locking tuners instead of a locking nut, cause I just didn't want to modify the headstock. Stays in tune pretty good, goes out if i really divebomb it. Thinking about getting some cream or pearloid knobs for them, but am still undecided.

post-11918-091047700 1297902759_thumb.jpg

post-11918-062616200 1297902765_thumb.jpg

I won't pretend to know crap about wiring, cause I didn't do this part. But basically there are 2 push/pull pots and a 3-way toggle. Obviously the 3 way toggle chooses between bridge/middle/neck, and there are 4 different combinations with the push/pulls: single rail/p-90/humbucker/out of phase humbucker. The last one was how it was explained to me so it could be the wrong terminology. Comes out to about 12 different sounds. I already have a momentary kill button by the neck, but couldn't think of anything else to put here, so I figured to just do like the bucket head guitar and put 2.

post-11918-032397400 1297902772_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that's about it. There are still some cosmetic changes I'm thinking about making like I said, but all in all I'm more than satisfied. I'm thinking I might do an SG next.

So, a while back I bought a bare Gibson Les Paul Studio.

post-11918-092399000 1297902711_thumb.jpg

Well, it's finally finished. Ended up spending about as much as a brand new Studio (nitro, not faded) but it was worth it. The finish is a matte black finish, not many coats so I'm sure I'll wear through it quickly, but I figure it will give it more character. I'm pretty pleased with the look of the guitar. Was wondering if I should put a cream pickguard on it to match the pickups.

post-11918-069770000 1297902720_thumb.jpg

I left the neck the original color, I think it gave it a cool look, and it's a good thing I didn't change it cause the neck is fantastic.

post-11918-076498800 1297902730_thumb.jpg

Opted for a Kahler Tremolo, just liked having the option of a tremolo, and fine tuners.

post-11918-088752100 1297902739_thumb.jpg

Decided to go with the Seymour Duncan P-Rails to get as much outta this guitar as possible. They can be ran single rail, p-90, or humbucker.

post-11918-084725100 1297902746_thumb.jpg

Went with Sperzel locking tuners instead of a locking nut, cause I just didn't want to modify the headstock. Stays in tune pretty good, goes out if i really divebomb it. Thinking about getting some cream or pearloid knobs for them, but am still undecided.

post-11918-091047700 1297902759_thumb.jpg

post-11918-062616200 1297902765_thumb.jpg

I won't pretend to know crap about wiring, cause I didn't do this part. But basically there are 2 push/pull pots and a 3-way toggle. Obviously the 3 way toggle chooses between bridge/middle/neck, and there are 4 different combinations with the push/pulls: single rail/p-90/humbucker/out of phase humbucker. The last one was how it was explained to me so it could be the wrong terminology. Comes out to about 12 different sounds. I already have a momentary kill button by the neck, but couldn't think of anything else to put here, so I figured to just do like the bucket head guitar and put 2.

post-11918-032397400 1297902772_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that's about it. There are still some cosmetic changes I'm thinking about making like I said, but all in all I'm more than satisfied. I'm thinking I might do an SG next.

Very cool man! Nice job! Glad I'm not the only one on here willing to make something the way they want it !

Hope you get much joy from this beast. +1

Andy

the worn cherry neck contrasts nicely with the black hardware and body. looks awesome.

a creme colored pickguard to match the pickups would look cool, not that it doesn't look cool without a pickguard.

i am guessing those buttons are momentary kill/stutter switches, yes?

well done! looks like a really versatile guitar there.

Thanks everyone. The P-Rails are simply amazing, the range of sounds you can get with them is incredible. I think they just released a P-Rail hot, that I might swap out for the bridge. There isn't as much noise when running the Rail or P-90 as I thought there would be, so that was really good. What's funny is, I really didn't like the Worn Cherry on the body, but the neck had a completely different look to it, which is why I left it as is. The luthier that helped me through the whole build said it was one of the nicest sounding and playing guitars he's ever worked on.

A project like this is definitely something to look into if you're not completely satisfied with an off the shelf gibson. If you can do most, if not all the work yourself you end up with exactly what you want for the same price.

As for the pickguard, I am really thinking about putting a cream one on there just to break up the black on the body.

Thanks everyone. The P-Rails are simply amazing, the range of sounds you can get with them is incredible. I think they just released a P-Rail hot, that I might swap out for the bridge. There isn't as much noise when running the Rail or P-90 as I thought there would be, so that was really good. What's funny is, I really didn't like the Worn Cherry on the body, but the neck had a completely different look to it, which is why I left it as is. The luthier that helped me through the whole build said it was one of the nicest sounding and playing guitars he's ever worked on.

A project like this is definitely something to look into if you're not completely satisfied with an off the shelf gibson. If you can do most, if not all the work yourself you end up with exactly what you want for the same price.

As for the pickguard, I am really thinking about putting a cream one on there just to break up the black on the body.

Ive always been a fan of no pick guard. Have you got any more pics of your build in progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived