Gibson Brands Forums

do you like to hear yourself play?

saturn

I was going to make this a poll, but decided against it.

I hate to listen to the sound of my own voice. But I kinda like listening to recordings of myself playing guitar. It's not that I think I'm great or anything. I just like to analyze my playing and I'm always surprised that I actually don't sound as bad as I thought when I played it. That is when I don't make any glaring mistakes #-o

I'm a very improv type player and rarely play anything the same way twice. So when I hear something I did, I like to examine how and why I played a certain part in a certain way. I occasionally even impress myself [blush]

How about y'all? Or Y'ins for Cookieman \:D/

I HATE hearing my voice on recordings....I don't mind singing, knowing full well I'm a lousy singer, I hear my voice and it sounds like Andy Devine on steroids.

When I get together with other musicians, I usually end up doing most of the singing, but I'd prefer to just play.

Well...I do think I gain a lot from listening to myself play on recordings, but frankly I can't say as though I enjoy it.

At most, I can listen to an old recording of me and go "gosh, I really sucked when I recorded that!"

Then I remember that "that" was about three days ago, and I haven't gotten any better since. [unsure][biggrin]

I don't like hearing myself sing, and I don't like hearing myself play, but I like to sing and I like to play, so really...does it matter, for the sake of my own enjoyment, whether or not I like listening to myself?

I'll let others tell me when to stop raping their ears. [lol]

I like listening to recordings. For whatever reason, even though I swear to god I don't edit or change up any of the vocal parts, I sound way better recorded than I do live. Maybe its just because I'm overly critical of myself, but I always find it better recorded.

That being said, I am very critical of myself and I have to learn to let some things go because I will literally spend an entire day working on the same part over and over again because even though its fine, I feel like I can make it better. Then I usually end up going back to the original track :rolleyes:

I can't sing so that's dealt with that aspect.

Playing guitar? I find it quite interesting to listen to myself (and watch myself playing in any clips I video-recorded) but one of two things always happens. Either;

1) I never seem to take it serious enough if I know I'm recording myself, muck about too much and end up making a load of mistakes.

or;

2) I try far too hard and end up making a load of mistakes.

There's consistency there at any rate!

P.

Having watched many guitar reviews on You Tube. I thinks I'm going to start filming myself on my iphone 4 as it's hd video.

You see some dreadful players on there with great comments.

I like certain reviewers though.

Ie, Phil X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pjtnhE4k2M

and Gregs guitars

http://www.youtube.com/user/GregsGuitars?blend=2&ob=1

I love the gold top at the start.

I've started recording myself more lately. Everything is purely instrumental. I've basically been laying down a rhythm guitar track and then I'll put down lead tracks over it. Sometimes I'll do standards and sometimes I'll just improvise. Then I'll pick out the tracks I like, or sections of the tracks I like, and silence all the rest to get a finished product. I spend a lot of time going over them to find licks that I like and critiquing them. I think it has helped me get better, I've gotten a few that I enjoy, and it has helped me realize and develop my style.

I started off as the singer and bass player in my first band when I was 13. I didn't like to sing back then but no one else in the band would step up to the mic. I thought better to have a bad singer than no singer. I figured if Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen weren't embarrassed with their crap voices than what right did I have to feel so? This was some years ago... We recorded everything we did back then on cassette and I learned a lot from it. Like it's a good idea to figure out what key or keys you sing in.

Playing? You have to record your playing to understand your weaknesses and improve on them.

Let me put it this way...I learn a LOT, about my playing, by hearing a recording of it.

Sometimes, it's surprising how good it sounds, but often, it's enlightening, in that what

I thought would work, really doesn't! And, what I (most often) hear/learn, in those

recordings is that "less IS more!" I think it's crucial to record what you do, in

rehearsal (band or individual), especially...so you have time to make some corrections,

if needed. Recorded gigs, are very helpful, enlightening, too.

My "singing?" I won't even GO there! ;>)

Cheers,

CB

I sing along in the car, or in the shower but never recorded.

Playing guitar? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on whether or not what I played grooves with me. Since I got that Boss BR-1 Micro though I've been able to record my own backing tracks and solo over top so that was cool.

Singing , Nope , I know better. as I'm not a singer.At best backround stuff. I know mty limits. With the guitar I record it all the time .

I find it a great tool you use in helping evaluate myself. Of course, If I don't practice everyday I don't play at the same level as I would when

I have been playing everyday for a month or so. for 2-3 hours everyday. I find it gives a general idea of where I'm at and what I need to focus on.

I watched a video recording of myself with a group of players at a coffee house about a month ago...

I discovered that 1) I spend way too much time looking at the fretboard and my fretting hand, and 2) I never seem to smile or laugh, despite the FACT that I'm having an absolute blast.

So - note to myself: look down less :blink: , smile more [smile] .

~DB

What I've learned from recording myself:

1) Rhythm guitar is there for accompaniment and to set the beat (if not using bass or drum tracks, use clicks or metronome). It cannot dominate the lead, but it can be used to influence my lead playing.

2) My lead lines and phrasing must breathe. Play like I speak. Take breaths and allow my statements to ring.

3) Build leads; don't start with my best. Start with simple statements and then work them.

4) Use dynamics. Soft/loud, slow/fast, vibrato, hammer-ons/pull-offs/bends, slide into and out of notes, use double stops, etc.

5) Don't play scales. Play melodies. Make leads sing.

6) Establish an interesting tone with effects and guitar choice.

7) Optimize volume levels to get the best quality sound.

8) Try never to repeat myself.

9) Don't think everything has to be perfect. That's why you edit.

Nope - I think it has merit and record stuff all the time on a Boss Micro BR especially if I,m writing but I don't like to hear myself sing or play guitar and I sure as he'll don't like to see myself in video's period let alone playing guitar.

I don't care at all if they listen, but when it's people I care about then its not so much fun.

I think there's no better practice tool than recording yourself.

Period.

Most of what I do on a pure instrumental is my own arrangement of standards of various sorts. I have a bad tendency to be repetitious. But I don't "see" it when I'm just messin' around with a song and then starting to solidify it.

Kinda ditto with anything I do a vocal on.

You record, listen... is there a place things aren't as smooth, or don't "fit" all that well? Where and how does your head add some stuff or subtract some stuff?

As for the voice, I never liked mine either. So I just kinda try to be on key if semi-possible.

Bottom line is that unless we're a bit off kilter, we're probably our own worst critics. The thing to listen for is "what do I hear as if I were the audience?"

Even a fifth rate picker with a fifth rate voice can sound first rate if he or she has it all together. A first rate picker with a first rate voice can bore you to death.

So... I try to use recording to remind me that having fun with a song is not the purpose, creating an interesting piece for an audience is.

m

Recording yourself and listening back is certainly a great leaning tool, but it was the hardest thing I ever had to do as a guitar player. I had to start video recording myself playing and singing for months before I could do it without getting nervous and choppy. It was worse when I tried an Audio Recording device. Locked Up, forgot what I was playing, couldn't finger chords.

I never had stage fright, but once I tried to record myself I understood it. I just had Recording Fright instead. Way over it now, though. It really shows off the nuances (or lack there of) in ones playing.

Archived