Gibson Brands Forums

L5 CES & L5 CT What's the Difference?

DanoWorks

Hmmmmm.....

Ya know, I'm not sure about this one.

Gibson tends to be a bit crafty with the running changes they make on models.

A few years ago, I was pretty hot on the trail of a couple big Gibson boxes.

Price scared me away.

I'll be watching this thread with interest...

The "CT" is a "thinline" L-5. The specs on the CES model state a body depth of 3 3/8". The CT is more like the thickness of a Byrdland at 2 1/4". All other specs, hardware and materials are the same.

I have always thought of the L-5CT as more related to the Byrdland than it's other "full bodied" cousins, and other than the obvious aesthetic differences (tailpiece, binding), the only difference I know of between the Byrdland and the L-5CT is the scale length and number of frets (23 1/2"-22 v. 24 1/4"-20). So instead of thinking of the L-5CT as a thinline L-5, I think of it more as a long scale Byrdland.

The story goes that the L-5CT was developed for comedian/singer George Goebel, who was a very small man. I don't know why Gibson just didn't send him a Byrdland.

As an L-5CES player, over the years I've toyed with the idea of buying a CT model (when/if I had the cash), but I've got so accustomed to playing the big body that when I switch to my ES-345 it feels like a tiny body guitar. So the top spot on my "wish list" has been taken by the dream of finding (and affording) a '47/'48 L-P. There's one on e-bay right now with a starting price of $13K.

Edit: By the way, the "CT" stands for "cutaway/thinline", and the "CES" stands for "cutaway/electric/spanish".

Edit #2: Corrected the spelling of "Byrdland".

Been looking at L5's not in person of course cause most dealers in my area can't afford to stock them. My question is besides the letters what if any is the difference between the L5 CES and the L5 CT?

Thanks,

Dan

The nominal depth at the rims on the L-5CT is 2 & 3/8", but Gibson has built them in other thicknesses. These range from 2" to 2.5" :

e33c8d67.jpg

Danny W.

I owned two newer L5-CT's over the years. Both had floating BJB pickups on them. Scale length was 24 3/4". Frankly not much at all as far as an acoustic tone to the instrument. Ok guitar but I wouldn't get that excited about them. Simply put a thin-body L5CES. Same appointments as an L5CES and overpriced IMHO. I saw them with a single floating BJB pickup on the guitar, dual humbuckers and also a single humbucker......... jim

Oh and one other thing that really bugged me about the blond L5-CT that I owned a few years ago. It had a really stinky odor to it that I attributed to the guitar being new. It never went away. Bugged the heck out of me so I finally sold the thing. Gibson is really up and down with quality issues. On a $6000 instrument that is unacceptable. I have a single pickup newer ES-175 sitting next to me at the moment that frankly runs circles around that blond L5-CT...........jim in Maine

• 8 months later...

Interesting story about George Goebel. Hadn't heard that one. Interestingly I have both a 1973 Byrdland and a '96 L-5. I would recommend checking out the L-5 Studio if you can find one. It has all the character, depth, and specs of the L-5 CES, but without the cosmetic frills. Great sound. Easy to play.

Archived