Gibson Brands Forums

Good morning everyone!

stratdefector

Hi everyone,

First of all, I should say that for twenty years now, I've been a dyed in the wool, die hard F****r fan! I own a couple of Corona's finest & I never thought I would come in to the fold, but my brother bless him, bought a studio & I gotta come clean, I'm blown away by the feel & the tone of the thing, so I'm looking hard for my own Les Paul.

Here's the thing, I've been offered an LP, S/N 01605467. it's an internet thing, but I'm willing to take a chance. I can see from the no. that it was born in June 2005, but is it possible to identify the model from the s/n?

I apologise in advance for what must be a done to death question round these parts, but you have to be the go to guys right? [smile]

post-30919-018193300 1298022269_thumb.jpg

post-30919-035808300 1298022373_thumb.jpg

post-30919-090865200 1298022682_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about mentioning Fender by name - lots of folk hereabouts have those too.

Customer Services will be able to tell you all about the guitar from the serial number but, judging by the 'sheen' of the finish it looks to be what's known as a 'Standard Faded'. This means it is a regular 'Standard' but with a less 'high-gloss' top-coat.

They are good guitars.

P.

i forgot how to check seriel #s, but if it helps from the pics it is a les paul standard faded. 50's neck means fat, if you didn't know. do you not live in a place where you can go try out a bunch?

btw, you can say fender here. i do all the time. i wonder if that is why they don't talk to me anymore.

Thanks fopr the replies. I do love my Fender strats, Gibsons just open up another raft of possibilities to my playing, I just see them as different, not better or worse, just different.

Anyhoo, I've bought the thing, so now it's the waiting for delivery! I would still be interested in a definitive identification. And can I say, it's good to be here.

Thanks fopr the replies. I do love my Fender strats, Gibsons just open up another raft of possibilities to my playing, I just see them as different, not better or worse, just different.

Anyhoo, I've bought the thing, so now it's the waiting for delivery! I would still be interested in a definitive identification. And can I say, it's good to be here.

then it would be good to say you are definitly getting a les paul standard faded. with a 50'5 neck. with bursthbucker pickups. those are the vintage voiced ones. hand rubbed satin finish. looks like you are getting some flame, too. is it sinking in? take a deep breath.

Hi everyone,

First of all, I should say that for twenty years now, I've been a dyed in the wool, die hard F****r fan! I own a couple of Corona's finest & I never thought I would come in to the fold, but my brother bless him, bought a studio & I gotta come clean, I'm blown away by the feel & the tone of the thing, so I'm looking hard for my own Les Paul.

Here's the thing, I've been offered an LP, S/N 01605467. it's an internet thing, but I'm willing to take a chance. I can see from the no. that it was born in June 2005, but is it possible to identify the model from the s/n?

I apologise in advance for what must be a done to death question round these parts, but you have to be the go to guys right? [smile]

You do know of course that this is just the beginning. There WILL be more. Great example you have there. Very nice. [thumbup]

then it would be good to say you are definitly getting a les paul standard faded. with a 50'5 neck. with bursthbucker pickups. those are the vintage voiced ones. hand rubbed satin finish. looks like you are getting some flame, too. is it sinking in? take a deep breath.

it didn't realize until i read that it could be taken as kinda like being a smart $%& or snotty, but rather extremely happy for you, and trying to point out in a way that you can believe that what you are getting is a fine, fine choice. i was trying to sqelsh your doubts, NOT you.

I do love my Fender strats, Gibsons just open up another raft of possibilities to my playing, I just see them as different, not better or worse, just different.

now THATS cool. kinda like when you have a phone number and date with a lady that is twice as good looking as you and you openly act like you are not exited, just an everyday thing.

seriously, it is hard to give opinions and comparisms without putting down other poeples choices, so take it for what it is. the axe you have coming, as far a tone and playability, is there at the top with the finest made. even down to the pickups. i realize that all guitars are different, and connecting is a case-to-case thing, but if i were to do it blind, that would be a first choice in convincing someone. i remember when they hit the stores and i played a few. just an imaginary scenario, if i had been given a wad of cash and had to pick a les paul, or any gibson, that i was needing to play (of corse playing and sound come first) it is most likely i would be getting one of those, as i would be playing the high end models and custom reissues just to be sure there wasn't an example that played better (because it is a case-to-case thing).

you will keep your strats, of corse. and we all know there are things and tones the strat will always be best at, and you still may rely on them for the majority of your playing, but one thing a gibson has over a fender is how good they feel playing and how fun it is to play because of that. and the fat tone. from the sounds of it, you are experienced enough to be able to appreciate it at it's fullest.

You know I came here seeking advice and thanks to you good people, that's exactly what I've received. Especially Stein & Billy, but not to single anyone out, I'm most grateful for everyone's help.

It's pretty clear I'm getting involved with a bunch of discerning people distinguished by their helpfulness & good taste! And I think you may be right, I'll end up wanting more & more. Heck, right now, I've got 2 strats, an Ovation, a Martin, an old Hofner veritihin that belonged to my dad & an Epi LP, although that's moving on to a friend of mine. Thing is they all have a place in the music, this new one is another path to go down- I can't wait for it to arrive!

Archived