Gibson Brands Forums

Any way to improve my Gold Grovers?

Shambolic

My J-200 has gold grovers on it and they have a lot of play in them. I know about tightening up the end screw but that just makes them stiffer to turn and the initial play is still there. I have what looks like exactly the same ones on an Epi Les Paul (would they be the same?) and they have no play in them whatsoever. Is there some way to take them apart and improve this or are they just a bad batch?

You may just have a hinky set of tuners, although every set of Grovers I've ever had have been reliable and smooth. Then again, I suppose every shop turns out a bad batch of whatever they make from time to time.

There are a number of drop-in replacements that would be easy enough for you to install to replace yours. A good place to start is Stewart-MacDonald. I've ordered many sets of tuners from them over the years and they have great service and top-flight gear. They also have specs on the individual tuners so you can make sure they would, indeed, fit on your guitar:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html

I've got the same Grovers on my WM-00 and mine are doing just what you describe; but they're 10 years old. I got a set of the 18:1 Sta-Tites from StewMac this week and plan on swapping them out tomorrow. I also had to get the 3/8" bushings and I can already tell that the gold Grovers are going to leave an imprint that the Sta-Tites won't hide. I'm hoping some light 1500 grit sanding and ScratchX will take care of the imprints. After all is said and done, I may be wishing I'd replaced the old gold Grovers with a new set of them.

I took one off and had a look. The problem seems to be with the inaccurate machining of the heads (i.e. the bit you actually turn with your hand) where they slot onto the turning posts. Obvious really, if they don't slot on tight there will always be play on the head. Wonder if theres something I could put on em to tighten up? Any ideas?

I'm replacing the gold tuners on my Hummingbird Artist with Waverly nickel tuners with ivoroid knob. The original tuners (I thing they're Gotoh) look really cheap and, more importantly, do not keep in tune as they should. I think that a guitar that plays and sounds so good deserve better tuners.

I did the same on my Martins too. On an Epiphone Masterbilt I had a couple of years ago I had gold Grovers Sta-Tite and they were good.

But once you get used to Waverlies....

Archived