Gibson Brands Forums

D' Angelico guitars

Duende

These, of course, are D'Agelicos in name only, since John D'Angelico handbuilt only 1164 guitars, and died in 1964. Even his star apprentice, Jimmy D'Aquisto, is long gone.

I was surprised a few years ago when I found guitars being marketed under the D'Agelico name and trademark. The trademark may have lapsed into "public domain", or someone has paid the trademark holder to use it. In any case these are NOT D'Angelico guitars, they are just more Korean made guitars with a "notable" name on the headstock, and nice bling.

From the photo you posted, that guitar looks to by made in the Samick factory, and Samick makes some great guitars (for the price), so the merit of this guitar should be compared to other Korean made thinlines such as Washburn, Samick, Schector, etc. I'm sure they go for a premium with the name on the headstock and fancy hardware, what's it worth compared to a standard Korean built model, only you can decide.

Pretty, but maybe an Eastman instead in that price range? Heard lots of good things about them. UK prices for these (non-)D'Angelicos seem to reproduce the dollar figures but with a pound sign in front. And if you do buy in the UK you're nudging s/h Gibson territory too. Howards like mine seem to be going for less than £1500 and they sit nicely between ESs 335 and 175 while feeling a bit like somebody took your LP and inflated it a bit. As John Thompson would say, 'Nice'. (Welcome back to Jazz Club, Matt...) BTW is the new avatar something you brought home from Oxon?

(Welcome back to Jazz Club, Matt...) BTW is the new avatar something you brought home from Oxon?

he he; I never left the club!!

Yep that is from last Wednesday at the chapel msp_biggrin.gif

Re jazz guitar, I am just thinking out loud for later in the year, anyway before a new electric jazzer comes, as we speak my hand made gypsy jazz acoustic is being built, so no new arch top for Matt until xmas.

When the time comes I will be in the market for something along the lines of these...

Bandedetto arch top

Any lawsuit Made in Japan arch tops

Gibson 330

Gibson 137 Custom

Yamaha SA 2200

Yamaha AES 1500

Eastman 805

Greatch 6120 with p90 at neck (I have a Brian Setzer with TV Jones but want warmth..but love my Gretsch) etc et

These, of course, are D'Agelicos in name only, since John D'Angelico handbuilt only 1164 guitars, and died in 1964. Even his star apprentice, Jimmy D'Aquisto, is long gone.

I was surprised a few years ago when I found guitars being marketed under the D'Agelico name and trademark. The trademark may have lapsed into "public domain", or someone has paid the trademark holder to use it. In any case these are NOT D'Angelico guitars, they are just more Korean made guitars with a "notable" name on the headstock, and nice bling.

From the photo you posted, that guitar looks to by made in the Samick factory, and Samick makes some great guitars (for the price), so the merit of this guitar should be compared to other Korean made thinlines such as Washburn, Samick, Schector, etc. I'm sure they go for a premium with the name on the headstock and fancy hardware, what's it worth compared to a standard Korean built model, only you can decide.

hmmm, now I am intrigued! Cheers for the info Larry

The range which from a google looke though the higher end ones are made in Japan goes up in price to about 7000 uk pounds and a similar amount in dollars.

Edit there is also a modern D'Aquisto line

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/d-aquisto-jazz-line-violin-sunburst-preowned.html

Matt

Archived