Gibson Brands Forums

Cafe gig #9&10

onewilyfool

LOL...it never ceases to amaze me what happens at these little gigs.

1. Today, two people were chatting at a table in front of me.......when I started to play, they moved their chairs around so their BACKS were towards me.....lol....you can't have a thin skin and do this stuff. You have to learn to take rejection....lol.....

2. It is very important NOT to collapse your diaphram with bad posture when singing.....I caught myself a couple of times when I was having trouble singing, and self corrected.

3. When I took a break, I started talking with this guy in his sixties, and he asked me to show him a few things. He went and got his guitar, and within the format of playing songs for the room, I stopped and showed him a few things about chording, and rhythm, and percussion on the strings. A few hints about bass runs, etc. My first teaching lesson at the cafe, and it was integrated pretty well into the playing......kind of fun......the guy wants to sit and watch me when I come in to play next time. He is a regular and a nice guy, and it was no problem......interesting gig, no?

4. I was actually a little "low energy" today, and although it was enjoyable, I felt subdued and so the experience was a little blah. Some days you win, some days you lose. Still a good learning experience...

Interesting day......first 45 min. there was only me and the two workers. That was fun, as the acoustics were great and it sounded pretty good. Then a barrage of folks arrived, and I could hardly hear myself think. Today, I was a little stuffy in the nose, and when I blew my nose hard on a napkin......I plugged my ears....lol.....and couldn't hear myself very well....lol....BIG mistake!....lol....Got some applause for "San Francisco Bay Blues", seems ladies like Elvis songs, free croissant and coffee, practiced some of my "harder" songs....all in all....a good day!

This is the life of a singer-songwriter. My good friend who has 5 records and 15 years of performing experience took a last-minute gig at a bar just outside of Nashville, last night. The bar was full of loud regulars and the bar area was toward the back of the room. The opposite end was the stage and ample seating in front of the stage. When he started his set the people in the bar not only didn't notice, but they didn't care. Their volume level remained the same for the next 60 minutes as I listened to my friend's live set compete with the people in the bar. Some shows are very rewarding, and some are very humbing. It will never change. You must not fall into the trap of allowing the audience's response to be the gauge by which you judge your performance. You need to have personal goals each and every time you play "a show."

Then a barrage of folks arrived, and I could hardly hear myself think. Today, I was a little stuffy in the nose, and when I blew my nose hard on a napkin......I plugged my ears....lol.....and couldn't hear myself very well....lol....BIG mistake!....lol....

Great comedy, , , keep taking notes and write us all a best-seller.

Yes, know what you mean Wiley. We also had a pretty poor gig at the Hard rock last Friday. The whole vibe leading to this gig was weird, we didnt do a soundheck, did not rehearse properly as we could not find the time. All of us were tight and it refelcted in our playing (i played horribly) and also we could not connect with the audience.

But its a learning experience and you get that sometimes. Its important to take out the postives from the show and work on your weaknesses. Next week will be a completely new audience and Im sure things will be different.

Although we probably wont play every friday night there as I think both us and them need a break to keep things fresh. Will see.

Yes, know what you mean Wiley. We also had a pretty poor gig at the Hard rock last Friday. The whole vibe leading to this gig was weird, we didnt do a soundheck, did not rehearse properly as we could not find the time. All of us were tight and it refelcted in our playing (i played horribly) and also we could not connect with the audience.

But its a learning experience and you get that sometimes. Its important to take out the postives from the show and work on your weaknesses. Next week will be a completely new audience and Im sure things will be different.

Although we probably wont play every friday night there as I think both us and them need a break to keep things fresh. Will see.

Sorry to hear about your challenges....gee, it even happens to pros!!! I agree with you, take your lessons and move on. You know, I DO play and sing better when someone, even one person, seems to be enjoying the music. The crowd, no matter how small, DOES make a difference.....both positive and negative wise

Archived