Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 fake?

baybruin

Hey all,

Got this one off ebay. Help me identify if this is fake or not!

My concerns are: the logo, the STAMPED INK serial number and "made in USA" on the back of the headstock (EDIT: i spent more time running my finger over it and it's hard to tell with the finish over it but there might be SLIGHT impression in the wood), the headstock shape, the color of the saddle and bridge.

It's got documentation, owner's pamphlet, and even the electronics. I'm afraid this is just a really good fake...

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

Would GREATLY appreciate your input! Thanks.

My concerns are: the logo, the STAMPED INK serial number and "made in USA" on the back of the headstock, the headstock shape, the color of the saddle and bridge

I had a 2006 Southern Jumbo & currently have 3 customs.

logo: My 06 SJ was the same, but had a dot over the "i"; also the stylized flower inlay below 'Gibson'.

the STAMPED INK serial number: I have both stamped & handwritten on my Gibsons

"made in USA" on the back of the headstock: I have this on all of them - & and a different font on each - no consistency in style or size

I wouldn't be concerned about the bridge - know nothing about the Made in USA stamp, but how about the missing dot in the logo.

Noooo, , , something tells me it's the real deal. There's no 'Standard' on the white label, apart from that it seems okay. Can it be from the early 00's before they chose to call it Standard. Why would a faker come this close and miss the last details. Look forward to hear from the 45-experts.

i think my main concerns are the stamped ink instead of the impressed serial and "made in usa" AND the headstock shape...

..just contact Gibson directly and ask them! If you were so concerned about a fake,... Why did you buy the guitar then?

:huh:

i think my main concerns are the stamped ink instead of the impressed serial and "made in usa" AND the headstock shape...

are you saying that the serial # on the back of the headstock is just ink, with no physically stamped indentation? (your pics looked stamped to me)

( as opposed to a stamped, printed label serial#)

are you saying that the serial # on the back of the headstock is just ink, with no physically stamped indentation? (your pics looked stamped to me)

( as opposed to a stamped, printed label serial#)

hmmmm... the more that i feel the numbers i'm honestly not really sure. it SEEMS to me like it's just ink...

i wasn't concerned when i bought the guitar because the pictures seemed fine to me. lesson learned!

i've contacted gibson, waiting to hear back from them. just wanted to get some input from knowledgeable folk

I wouldn't be concerned about the bridge - know nothing about the Made in USA stamp, but how about the missing dot in the logo.

Noooo, , , something tells me it's the real deal. There's no 'Standard' on the white label, apart from that it seems okay. Can it be from the early 00's before they chose to call it Standard. Why would a faker come this close and miss the last details. Look forward to hear from the 45-experts.

concerning the white label...

if according to the serial it's an '08... wouldn't that make it in the time period where it should say "standard"?

REALLY appreciate the input so far! Thank you!

The white label is consistent with the j45 at that time. It is a j45 modern classic. They came out with the standard latter in 2008. My j45 mc was made the 13th of August, so it was later that when they switched over to the standard. Except for the dot on the i in the Gibson name on the headstock, which is silk screened, it is identical to my 08 j45 mc.

chasAK

The white label is consistent with the j45 at that time. It is a j45 modern classic. They came out with the standard latter in 2008. My j45 mc was made the 13th of August, so it was later that when they switched over to the standard. Except for the dot on the i in the Gibson name on the headstock, which is silk screened, it is identical to my 08 j45 mc.

chasAK

thanks for the input chasAK! this is looking good for me so far...!

sent you a PM about taking a pic of your headstock, if you can

On further reflection, this is definitely a fake. The logo, bridge, headstock shape, label, and strings all shout China!!

Still, if you would like to take $300 for it just let me know!!!!!

On further reflection, this is definitely a fake. The logo, bridge, headstock shape, label, and strings all shout China!!

Still, if you would like to take $300 for it just let me know!!!!!

the strings? are you just trying to get a cheap guitar from me?

alright well i was looking for some help, not bids.

Just kidding around =)

sometimes price can be an indicator...

Did you pay heaps lower than they would go for normally? I've seen Martin D-45s made in Bali, and other countries which look the part, but don't sound the part. and of course having a price of $500-$1000...

No such thing as a deal of a lifetime...

but yours does look good

although missing dot over the "i" in the headstock is different.

could also be that the original neck was broken and replaced, and they tried to copy it exactly using the serial numbers from the label inside and put that at the back of the new headstock.???

acousticologist, excuse my pissy-ness too. sorry! hope you can understand my position and the anxious feelings involved.

i was running fingers over the serial and "made in usa" again, and it DOES feel like it's impressed in ever so slightly.. hard to tell with the finish over it.

another thing i noticed-- the finish where the fret ends are seems to be a little rough, especially at the higher frets.. don't know if this is normal or not. could be just bubbling over time/use?

does the headstock shape seem a little long/thin to anyone? anyone have measurements for me?

thanks!

acousticologist, excuse my pissy-ness too. sorry! hope you can understand my position and the anxious feelings involved.

i was running fingers over the serial and "made in usa" again, and it DOES feel like it's impressed in ever so slightly.. hard to tell with the finish over it.

another thing i noticed-- the finish where the fret ends are seems to be a little rough, especially at the higher frets.. don't know if this is normal or not. could be just bubbling over time/use?

does the headstock shape seem a little long/thin to anyone? anyone have measurements for me?

thanks!

btw, I paid 1200 for it, but with a crack in the back, in the finish seems like.

It's possible this one got out of the factory without the dot on the I. How does it sound?

it actually sounds very good. i haven't played too many j-45's, but it's right there at least in my mind. the action is a little high right now, but other than it sounds great.

Archived