Gibson Brands Forums

Are there different models for the Southern Jumbo?

Jericho-79

Hey guys. I'm interested in getting my first Gibson acoustic. I've been doing some research on various acoustic models. And I found out that one of my girlfriend's favorite country singers plays a particular Gibson acoustic guitar known as the Southern Jumbo.

Here are a few pics of that guitar:

brandigibson.jpg

brandigibson2.jpg

Here is a hi-res pic of that same guitar:

Frank and Derol

Are there different models for the Southern Jumbo? Or is the Southern Jumbo a stand-alone model?

The only information that I can find on the Southern Jumbo is from Musician's Friend.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Southern-Jumbo-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518959&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=342011

And according to the Gibson website, there are many different Jumbos (J-185, J-185 EC Rosewood, J-185 EC).

So is the Southern Jumbo part of the Jumbo family? Or are there different types of the Southern Jumbo?

On the Gibson website, Southern Jumbos are in the "Round Shoulder" category. There are actually a few versions of the Southern Jumbo being made right now. The one in your link is the basic production model. Then there is the True Vintage model, which is only about $300 more than the basic model. At this close in price, I would definitely be looking at the True Vintage model. Gibson also releases limited run artist models from time to time. The most recent is the Aaron Lewis model, which is a replica of his vintage (1951, I think) model. Recently there has also been the Kris Kristoferson model, with eagle inlay at the 12th fret. They have also done Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams Jr. models in the past, possibly others.

If I were in the market for one today, I would want to check out the True Vintage and the Aaron Lewis (if I could find one).

Also, as a side note, the Southern Jumbo is essentially a dressed up J-45, so you might want to check those out also to see which you like better.

Good luck!

On the Gibson website, Southern Jumbos are in the "Round Shoulder" category. There are actually a few versions of the Southern Jumbo being made right now. The one in your link is the basic production model. Then there is the True Vintage model, which is only about $300 more than the basic model. At this close in price, I would definitely be looking at the True Vintage model.

So the Jumbo in the above pics is merely the standard Southern Jumbo?

Congrats on getting your first Gibson! These days, there are probably a dozen(exaggeration) different flavors of Southern Jumbos. Seems like they make one for every Artist and occasion. Hopefully you get to try some out first and find one that speaks to you and your finances.. [thumbup][smile]

So the Jumbo in the above pics is merely the standard Southern Jumbo?

You've got it. Appointments are based on '56-62 era model, as is the Kristoferson sig. The Woody G is based on a 40's model (script logo, "only gibby is good eno' banner, beefier neck profile). The Hank W (Elderly.com has a used one) is a 48-55 version. The TV mixes appointments from these eras. The std comes with a pup. Dont know about the others.

Here's a TV (scroll ahead for sound sample)

http://www.acousticguitar.com/video/playvideo.aspx?videoname=GearReviews/AG187/Gibson_SJ-AG187

And a Std (scroll ahead)

You've got it. Appointments are based on '56-62 era model, as is the Kristoferson sig. The Woody G is based on a 40's model (script logo, "only gibby is good eno' banner, beefier neck profile). The Hank W (Elderly.com has a used one) is a 48-55 version. The TV mixes appointments from these eras. The std comes with a pup. Dont know about the others.

Here's a TV (scroll ahead for sound sample)

http://www.acousticguitar.com/video/playvideo.aspx?videoname=GearReviews/AG187/Gibson_SJ-AG187

And a Std (scroll ahead)

I also have to post this material on another thred that I started long ago, as I promised Red 333 that I would get back on the bracing and construction of the Guthrie model. When I contacted Don Ruffatto at Gibson, he replied that the Woody is essentially the same as the J 45 Standard internally. The VOS finish, belly-down bridge and tuners are not the same, and the cosmetics are different, but in basic terms the WG is a J 45 standard. Of course I forgot to ask about the neck profile (supposed V versus supposed rounded). That might make a real difference. I'm just frustrated currently, as I tried to pull the trigger on a WG three times at the beginning of this month and it didn't come off for reasons to do with banking security. Now the best European source is out of stock, their price has gone up, and in the last couple of days their ETA for its reappearance has shifted from the end of this month to the end of next...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm giving you my 2¢ worth...if that. I went and bought a 2012 Gibson Southern Jumbo "Banner Logo". You can get the Sheryl Crowe signature model, and other artist's signature model. You'll pay more for these signature models, maybe for quality...???, or maybe for that signature...I dunno. Go to Gibson web -site and search for SJ's and they'll show you the specs. My SJ is the best. I just had to have a Martin, so I went and bought a 2013 C.F. Martin&Co J 40. It arrived last March end, and has about 25 hours on it only. I like the SJ way better. Not sure why, because the Martin is a very nice playing and sounding guitar as well. The SJ was half the price as the Martin. Same thing with my fancy AAAAA+++ quilted maple capped Gibson Les Paul Standard LTD. It usually sits in the rack while I play my Gibson Les Paul Junior Special...go figger. There's pictures of my SJ, dirty and smudgy and all...a truly nice guitar. The Gibson web-site, or internet period, will tell you the models of SJ's and their specs. Hope that helps you out

The Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo is made very similar to the SJ True Vintage, except the SC SJ has an adirondack spruce top. I tried quite a while to find one. Eventually one showed up on fleaBay but I got sniped. I ended up with the SJ TV. Very happy with it, but if I ever find a SC SJ I might go.

Good luck with your hunt.

Archived