Gibson Brands Forums

"Guess what amp gsgbass is using now!!!"

MrNylon

I've always used Ampegs and loved them, but after back surgery, I went digital. Had a Genz-Benz 6.0 that sounded great and wieghed nothing, but crapped out on me once - so I got rid of it. Now I use a Mark Bass SD800; very nice amp - powerful, great preamp, and light. I still use an Ampeg (USA) pro 4X10 bottom w/horn and I'm very happy with the sound.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gsgbass:

You don't like Fender bass amps?

I wish they still made the old bassman silverfaces like in the late '60's.

I don't like the Fender Rumble 350 amp I have used. Too boomy.

You look like you need some serious power there with your rigs though.

I did like Fender Bass Amps when they had the real Bassman Series. Fender is trying to make the Rumble Series into a Bassman. They aren't that solid of an amp. I dropped the Hartke, it sounded good, but I was just getting to bright of a sound that i didn't want. I'm doing the Marshall MB4210 Combo as a loaner, until my MB4410 comes in. The 4X10 Marshall is sounding good. It sounds like an old Sunn. the Marshall is 300 watts, that sounds like 600. The tube preamp and boost really kicks.

You are keeping your Marshalls I hope ???????? [confused]

I'm back using a Marshall. The issue of the loud fan motors, i believe has been rectified. I'm using a loaner Mb4210 until the MB4410 comes in from Marshall. It's great to not hear the cooling fan motor revving.

I'm still looking for a nice little 30 watt amp to play my Hofner out of [confused]

As of now still plugging her directly into the mixing board for laying down tracks [thumbdn]

I thought by now you had that squared up? Have you checked out the smaller Marshall MB 30, or Hartke? The Fender Rumble Series has been revamped also.

I thought by now you had that squared up? Have you checked out the smaller Marshall MB 30, or Hartke? The Fender Rumble Series has been revamped also.

I'm considering the Hartke because of the punch that amp is able to produce, in hopes of making up for the lack of punch my blade pups on my Hofner do not provide... I'm just hoping the Hartke wont yank the warmness from the Hofner though. Certainly there will be some give and take

The Hartke was just a bit bright for what a Fender Jazz doing a lot of Mountain, Cream, Led Zeppelin. I really use a lot of bottom. The pups on your Hofner should do well through a Hartke. Supposedly the Fender Rumble Series is now using wood on the combo cab in place of particle board. This is probably the true replacement for the Bassman Combo Series. Not what you're looking for, but I played through a Fender 350 Combo. (2X10). It sounded very good. No rattle and did very well at the upper levels. I have no problem mentioning the Marshall MB30 as well.

I would however, look into using a 12" speaker as a single speaker combo over all. The Hofner could have a bit more surface area through the single 12" with out losing the pushing of the air it would take for a 15". Great mids through a 12" too.

• 2 weeks later...

Fred; The Marshall is in town. Looks like Thursday is Marshall day. Anddddd, we're keeping our fingers crossed for Lungimsam, to get in his SG Std. Bass, that he's been waiting on for a pretty good while! Good thoughts, positive waves, the whole thing for Lungimsam. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Jesus man, choose a fuggin amp! [flapper]

Just did partner. Some things don't always just say, here I am. Bass amps don't always sound the same until you get them into the environment they're going to be used in. If you been around gear long enough, gear comes and goes. I use to handle it every day on the road. Just my opinion man.

Just did partner. Some things don't always just say, here I am. Bass amps don't always sound the same until you get them into the environment they're going to be used in. If you been around gear long enough, gear comes and goes. I use to handle it every day on the road. Just my opinion man.

Haha, I'm just giving you a hard time man. I hear you.

5 bucks that you will trade in the marshall in a month [flapper]

Try using Nylon Tape Wound strings. Rumor has it, Paul used nylons on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I believe it is more than a rumor. Paul used those on and off through out the years.

D'Addario #ETB92 (50,65,85,105) are great. I use them and they are the BEST. They fit most basses with out any refitting.

DSCN0374.jpg

DSC_0493-1.jpg

Haha, I'm just giving you a hard time man. I hear you.

5 bucks that you will trade in the marshall in a month [flapper]

Fred, i don't care what these other guys say about ya' man. You're alright Bud. Like I said, ya' never know, gear comes and goes. Keep the Lincoln in your wallet. [thumbup] This MB4410 is home.

DSC_0498-1.jpg

Fred, i don't care what these other guys say about ya' man. You're alright Bud. Like I said, ya' never know, gear comes and goes. Keep the Lincoln in your wallet. [thumbup] This MB4410 is home.

DSCN0382.jpg

That is a hot looking amp.

Now get a wall of cabs and you will be set [biggrin]

Don't start that full stack Marshall thing! [flapper] I was thinking about adding an MBC115 to it though.(Full Stack) 450 Watts @ 2 ohms. Fred, are you psychic or something? [unsure]

Try using Nylon Tape Wound strings. Rumor has it, Paul used nylons on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I believe it is more than a rumor. Paul used those on and off through out the years.

D'Addario #ETB92 (50,65,85,105) are great. I use them and hey are the BEST. They fit most basses with out any refitting. The Marshall, and a G&L SB-2 with the D'Addario Nylons on board.

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0420-1.jpg

I've seen a couple of his basses with those black strings, but was afraid to ask. I need to make sure I use light strings with my bass, because of it's construction..... Do they make lights in nylon??

thanx gsg!!!

I'll check with the hofnerhounds and see what they say

I used Nylons on an Italian Eko bass, (a Hofner style) in 1969. They sounded great on the Eko. About the same time, Nylons on a 1969 EB0. Good sounds as well. Those strings were no where near as well designed, and constructed as these D'Addario are. I would have to believe the sound would be outstanding from a Hofner. They won't kill your frets either, and they last for a long time. The one thing you'll have to check is the scale length. My G&L SB-2 is 34" Long Scale. I checked the GHS String site, (50, - 105) Long Scale. If that doesn't matter. Like you mentioned, Ask the Hofner Gang. That's what drove me bonkers with the EB0 scale neck. Strings that fit. An EB3L would be nice again.

Archived