Gibson Brands Forums

My old Country Western is back from the workshop!!!

Spot

Some of you know that I've had my Country Western in the shop having some work done and I'm happy to tell ya'll that she's back home and fitting fit!!!

IMG_0114.jpg

[biggrin]

Details of the exact work done was as follows:-

Remove old bridge, make and fit new bridge from Rio Rosewood and position saddle slot to improve intonation.

Repair soundboard under bridge.

Inlay Spruce insert at bridge/soundboard area.

Inlay Rosewood insert into bridge-plate.

Release fingerboard extension, repair crack in neck/fingerboard, re-glue.

Hone, re-profile and polish frets , clean and oil fingerboard.

Make and fit new nut from bone blank.

Make and fit compensated-saddle from bone blank.

Adjust action. Grease truss-rod nut and adjust.

Fine-tune intonation.

Replace machine heads (...with my recently relic'ed Kluson tuners)

Glue scratchplate edges.

Polish body

Restring with Martin 12- 56 strings

The work was done by Graham Parker, my London based Luthier, who I have to say did a really first class job on this beauty! His attention to detail is amazing and I can't recommend him enough for all you UK & European based Forum members. He even has a few US clients,... All you Steve Earle fans out there, Graham is his "go to guy" in Europe!

If anyone is interested in seeing his detailed blog and work in progress pictures from Graham's workshop you can check out this link:

Graham Parker Luthier

[thumbup]

And here are some more of my photos...

Slideshow

Pretty damned nice work. I'm sure she plays as sweet as she looks. How did you age the tuners?

You got that right 57!!! For my part, the tuners came out pretty good for a first try....I previously posted on how I did them Here...

[biggrin]

They look original to the guitar. I understand the etching but was the shoe polish used on the knobs?

HR_105-021_kiwi_wax_shoe_polish_2.jpg

Go easy at first until you get the right level of "Antiquing", you can always add more later...

Looks great, Spot. Just the beautiful guitar I needed to see right now. I just posted how I have to have mahogony again. I am leaning toward the Country Western model. Your's could be the hat tipper for me. Lots of character showing on that one.

Wow, what a beauty! Good work man, she's as good as new with an old lady tone..

Was it pricey ..?

Thanks EuroAussie.

I looked at the best guys available in London (Graham Node, Charlie Chandler, Graham Parker, etc.) and they were all about the same. As I said above, Graham priced the job up "worst case" scenario, and then came in under budget. I'd far rather work like this than have a price quote that keeps going North! Regardless, I'd happilly pay more for quailty and wasn't looking at the cheapest option on my baby!!!!

[love]

Stands out as a limousine. Very convincing and I would love to hear it. My SJ 63 (same year as yours) is a bit too dry sounding and I use a block of foam inside the box just under the guard to ground and 'fill up' the porous, slightly hollow midrange. A bit strange, but that's how it is. Understand yours has no sonic issues at all, is that right ?

I will try and get something up at some point... I do need to get some decent recording device, as a bog standard video will not do her justice.

E-Minor 7,......I guess she can be described as slightly "Dry", if I compare her to my '05 J-45 & recently sold '09 SJ. I haven't heard another vintage CW so I can't compare it to anything.

I'd rather call it "crisp", and I like this side of its tone. I'm constantly amazed by that Bass response you get on the low E string on the guitar. You can really feel it vibrate through your body.

It's a Religious experience in my book!!!

[razz]

. I'm constantly amazed by that Bass response you get on the low E string on the guitar. You can really feel it vibrate through your body.

It's a Religious experience in my book!!!

He he - Know precisely what you mean. A daily pleasure.

Archived