Gibson Brands Forums

2011 Gibson Homecoming

guitarstrummer

Thank you for the invite, Strummer. As you have seen from my few recent posts (including today). I've lost my favorite all time gig guitar. I'm afraid I'm going to have to find myself another mahogony instrument. I hope, as always, it is a good Homecoming this year.

You're welcome Steve. Hope you can find a way to make it this year. Highlights include a day trip to Yellowstone National Park, tours of Weber Mandolin, Waverly Tuners, and the Gibson Acoustic facility. Ren Ferguson will be signing guitar labels for those in attendance, there will be two open mics and Music Villa is hosting a private concert for our attendees. Music Villa will also be hosting a "Gibson Day" with all of the usual related activities.

Just heard that the motels in Bozeman are starting to fill up fast, so if you haven't reserved your room yet, you should plan to do so soon.

Just as an FYI, there's a couple of hotels off of N 19th, quite near the Gibson factory, that have availability, and at pretty decent prices.

There's a Wyndham there, a Residence Inn and the C'Mon Inn (a regional, smaller chain). I just checked the C'Mon Inn, for example, and their rates are +/- $105/night and include hot breakfast. Lots of restaurants and shopping on that end of town.

C'Mon Inn

Residence Inn

Wingate

Fred

you guys will love it! I just got home from Bozeman. Toured the factory and hung out with all the big names there. absolutely a blast! and such a beautiful place! if you stay at the Grantree, enjoy "the club" a great group of folks work there. really nice people and amazing food! i wish i could make it back for the homecoming. touring the factory and spending time with Ren, Don, Dennis, and all the other guys is amazing!

Just as an FYI, there's a couple of hotels off of N 19th, quite near the Gibson factory, that have availability, and at pretty decent prices.

There's a Wyndham there, a Residence Inn and the C'Mon Inn (a regional, smaller chain). I just checked the C'Mon Inn, for example, and their rates are +/- $105/night and include hot breakfast. Lots of restaurants and shopping on that end of town.

C'Mon Inn

Just thought I'd mention that I've stayed at the C'Mon Inn in Missoula, and these are every bit as cool as the photos make them look. Much as I like the convenience (and cushy suites) of the Grantree, I would not be all that disappointed to have to stay at the C'Mon Inn instead.

And, on our first trip to Bozeman, we made the mistake of staying at the Holiday Inn. 'Nuff said.

--Bob R

• 4 weeks later...

Ren Ferguson will be signing guitar labels for us again this year (limit one guitar per participant). Also, Little Jane and the Pistol Whips will be performing for our group at Music Villa on Thursday evening, June 16th.

http://www.littlejaneandthepistolwhips.com/

We still have a few spots remaining if anyone else would like to register to attend. We'll probably cut off the registrations around May 15th.

• 2 months later...

Hogeye had mentioned in another thread that he was disappointed that there wasn't information being shared about the Homecoming. So, here's a recap.

The 2011 Gibson Homecoming was held in Bozeman and was another huge success. Many attending said it was the best one yet. We started off with a day trip to Yellowstone National Park on Wednesday. The weather was great and there were a lot of animals and scenery to see. That evening rar and amp hosted a get together in their suite at the Gran Tree.

On Thursday we toured Weber Mandolin and Waverly Manufacturing. The entire group went out to supper together and then headed over to Music Villa where Little Jane and the Pistol Whips performed for us.

On Friday morning we met at Gibson and had a group picture taken. We then toured the Gibson facility. We spent the afternoon with Dennis O'Brien, the new GM of Gibson Acoustic, Ren Ferguson, and Jeremy Morton of Gibson. We were able to ask them unlimited questions. There were door prizes including a Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson clock, Sully's guitar strap, T-shirts from Wildwood Music, and assorted items from Breezy Ridge Instruments (John Pearse). Thank you to all who donated the door prizes. Ren Ferguson also autographed guitar labels for our Homecoming participants.

We held our first Open Mic on Friday evening and there were many employees from Gibson in attendance, including Dennis O'Brien, Ren Ferguson, Val Bolitho, and Jeremy Morton.

Music Villa hosted a Gibson Day on Saturday. Anyone bringing their Gibson Acoustic guitar to Music Villa could get a free string change and tune up. They also had door prizes, including two electric guitars and Gibson bar stools. There were performances in the afternoon by Jeremy Morton, Little Jane and the Pistol Whips, and Mike Beck. The Bose representative was also there and gave a presentation on the Bose acoustic system.

We had a second Open Mic on Saturday evening, again with many Gibson employees in attendance. During this Open Mic the entire group performed the song "I'll Fly Away". We also had a second group picture taken of everyone with their Gibson acoustic guitars.

Hogeye had mentioned in another thread that he was disappointed that there wasn't information being shared about the Homecoming. ...

Hogeye should have dropped by if he wanted to know more. But I guess keeping his distance is the price he pays for being a Man of Mystery! :)

-- Bob R

It was a very good meetup this year. Many of the regulars and a few new attendees. It's a pretty amazing opportunity which more Gibson fans should try. You get to tour the factory, hobnob with Ren Ferguson and others, tour the factory, talk about guitars, try playing tons of guitars belonging to the participants as well as the ones at Music Villa. And the cost is.... zero dollars! Just get yourself to Bozeman. Did I mention tour the factory?

Don't forget the souvenirs....I got myself a new Keb Mo model. I had it shipped home and it ought to be here next week.

There were some utterly gorgeous guitars for demo and display at Music Villa. Of course, the best one was the Keb Mo, but there were three or four SJ-200s...including my favorite the Western Classic, a custom J-185 as well as a standard 185, a most beautiful custom Nick Lucas, a cannon of an AJ, three or four different J-45s. The Elvis Costello Century of Progress was cool as all git out but it sold before I got there. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but needless to say I was like a kid in a candy store.

Archived