Gibson Brands Forums

1 year with my L-4CES

powerwagonjohn

I was in the music store anrd they are not selling the D'addario flatwound 12's any more so I bought the 6 sets fo $3 per set, I never get deals on things so I was a happy camper. The G string is the first to wear out; not a problem, right?

What a great deal at $3.

I had no problem with the rest of the strings. It's a great set, other than the "G". If you don't mind replacing the "G". not a problem.

What a great deal at $3.

I had no problem with the rest of the strings. It's a great set, other than the "G". If you don't mind replacing the "G". not a problem.

I've not noticed a problem with the Thomastic Benson strings but I gave a set to a friend who plays the one guitar every day and he complained that they felt really gritty. I also haven't noticed any intonation problems with D'Addario flats.

However for me D'Addarios feel heavier in gauge (both are 12's) than Thomastics. Whilst I do play every day my flat wounds last for more than 3 months maybe 6 months and when I change them its not really because I have to. However it's probably because I have a few guitars and tend to rotate them so nothing gets played for more than a few days at a time.

I have been using the Gibson L-5 .012 strings on my L-4CES as I got 5 sets with my guitar and I have had the 3rd string break down. I just bought a 1993 Guild X-170 and put a set of .012 D'addario Chrome Half rounds and so far I really like them. I will see how they hold up and let you all know.

Thanks John

I have been using the Gibson L-5 .012 strings on my L-4CES as I got 5 sets with my guitar and I have had the 3rd string break down. I just bought a 1993 Guild X-170 and put a set of .012 D'addario Chrome Half rounds and so far I really like them. I will see how they hold up and let you all know.

Thanks John

I haven't used the half rounds, but the flat wounds make the L-4 really melow and smooth a sound I was looking for.

best

john

Archived