Gibson Brands Forums

Modern J-45 standard bridge and pin material?

pocaloc

This is my 1st post here so please forgive me if this is stupid or has been discussed ad nauseum. Are the bridge and bridge pins made of plastc?

I have a 2009 J-45 Standard. It came with creme plastic bridge pins and a rosewood bridge with tusq saddle.

Could someone please explain the difference between plast and tusq - aren't they kind of brothers ?

The luthier/guitar store owner that I recently asked said that he thinks tusq is a great product and can see why someone might even prefer tusq to bone. I know he isn't an admirer of plastic though. He has great taste in guitars and has been open for over ten years now, so I respect his opinion. Still, I'm eventually going to switch it out for bone.

I think Tusq is that Fleetwood Mac album that nobody bought....

Oh yes, forgot that one -

"Tusq is a proprietary material which is precision engineered under high pressure and heat. It is specifically formulated to deliver the right frequencies with the optimum transfer rate to the top of your guitar every time. Because of the way TUSQ is made, it is a consistent material that is rich in tone and harmonic content." TheGraph Tech site.

'Proprietary material' - We have to imagine some powder unX-rayable for neither normal human beings or 6-string nerds. Would it be plastic, , , no I think there's more to it. Maybe bone, ivory, horn - maybe nano particles beyond any common knowledge – even small doses of moondust mixed with pulverized 70ties guitar-hero nails.

And people like it that way. . .

Archived